Any experience with the InReach Explorer?

I second the above recommendation... for the last 5 years I've been using the ProClip for two different smart phones and the Panavise for my tablet. Rock solid.

I have used these a lot. The two way texting (although there is a bit of a delay) is invaluable when you are working off the grid. Solid performer. Good customer service as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was about to buy one when Garmin bought Delorme. I stopped to wait for a new unit that combines Garmin's GPS device (4" screen) with the InReach capabilities. It has to be coming, right?

https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/

Looks like the marriage of produced some new baby twins. It's not quite the 4" vehicle mounted screen I predicted, more like the Garmin hiking device, but it still pairs with a myriad of devices for use in a vehicle. The onboard maps appear to be improved to Garmin standards. I haven't seen any reviews but I expect this to be an excellent device, the standard for adventure travel communication. Hopefully Garmin has a discount like Delorme at their OVX West booth. I expect to buy one there.

They were there at OVX East, but it was a Garmin rep and he acted like he didn't care for existing customers (the ones that made them and dealt with their buggy sw) trying to get an upgrade to the newer units. Glad he didn't offer anything, so now I can get one of these newer units. Didn't see details on a vehicle mount....

Here are the new Garmin Models as on display at Outdoor Retailer last week:

Garmin 1.jpg

Garmin reps told me that:

The new SE is essentially the old (Delorme) Explorer where 'navigation' has you follow the red line you pre-program on a white grid background.

The new Explorer+ Has a topo map layer that actually makes the 'navigation' functions worthwhile IMO.

I've used the Delorme InReach Explorer extensively over the last two years. It's an invaluable tool for keeping in touch when you're off-grid. As others have said, the ability to say, "Hey I just need X to get out is so much better than just having an OH SH!T button. Also a great way to keep your wife from worrying.

Okay, I attended a personnel recovery course a couple months ago and saw a demonstration of the new Garmin InReach. Also after reading some of the reviews here, I decided I needed one.

It arrived today.
IMG_20170516_134705233.jpg

IMG_20171129_074710254.jpg
IMG_20171129_075356488.jpg
Greetings,

I recently did a little adventure/training with one of the listed off road schools in the AA Training: California. I had the Garmin running the entire time and the wife was able to track me and send me Satellite text messages. The attached photos are how the tracking is viewed on the internet.

A cool little asset.

I recently did a little adventure/training with one of the listed off road schools in the AA Training: California. I had the Garmin running the entire time and the wife was able to track me and send me Satellite text messages. The attached photos are how the tracking is viewed on the internet. A cool little asset.

Thanks for sharing that... the only thing that would make your post better is a review! I'm interested in this product but am an avowed Luddite. Please consider putting together a review and sharing it on the forum. :bowdown

Thanks for sharing that... the only thing that would make your post better is a review! I'm interested in this product but am an avowed Luddite. Please consider putting together a review and sharing it on the forum. :bowdown
While not a review, I can tell you that mine is simple to use, very accurate and gives peace of mind that Paige can get in touch with me when I am out should there be an emergency at home.

Just got mine from @ramonortiz55 group buy.

I selected the Freedom Recreation plan, with the intention of upgrading the plan a level when we are in Baja. I don't think I've ever tried to text over 40 times during a race, but then again I've never had that ability in some locations.

I received mine as well. Not gonna lie, my experience so far has been craptacular.

Errors when registering on a Saturday requiring that I make a PHONE CALL to Garmin. But they are only available M-F normal business hours. Screw me if I was in the field I guess.

3A98176A-9629-44E1-A920-45CCA9629A88.jpeg

It also wouldn’t acquire satellites out of the box and failed the initial spin up, no doubt due to it’s failed “online” registration. The included users manual is pretty light on initializing this unit and/troubleshooting that process.

Not real impressed right out of the gate, especially considering the MSRP on these.

^^^^Call 'em the way we see 'em around here.

I thought I was having an issue with the confirmation portion of the registration, it took a while. My test text worked. Now I have to sit down with my phone and figure out how to transfer contacts. Nothing has changed, I'm still electronics challenged, bummed for Dave's issues, I resort to hammer's to fix electronics that I can't figure out, then I know why they don't work.:rolleyes:

As part of my safety equipment, I'm kind of ticked with the customer service hours as well. Kind of like a winch, generally when I need it, I need it right NOW, not when it's convenient for Johnny to answer the phone.

Last edited:
I used mine without activating any account. On the first or second screen, where it first starts the activation, just poke "Skip". Then it goes directly to the main menu, where you can use any function except the paid stuff. It paired with my tablet, went through the compass setup, downloaded Earthmate and some maps, etc. I'll activate it later when I head out on a trip. For now, it is just a fancy handheld GPS.

I used mine without activating any account. On the first or second screen, where it first starts the activation, just poke "Skip". Then it goes directly to the main menu, where you can use any function except the paid stuff. It paired with my tablet, went through the compass setup, downloaded Earthmate and some maps, etc. I'll activate it later when I head out on a trip. For now, it is just a fancy handheld GPS.

EDIT: At least that unlocks the GPS portion and enabled Bluetooth pairing with my iPhone. Weather features are still behind the paywall with messaging. I’ll try to call Garmin tomorrow and get my account issue resolved. It’s funny, in this day and age, to not have online tech support available on weekends especially given the true nature and target demographic for THIS product.

I got my contacts punched in, sent a test message to make sure that I did it correctly, and it worked, then again a conventional text message works from my current location. We're off to Baja next weekend for a weekend of R&R, I'll test it again then. The unit seems fairly intuitive to use for me...like my smart phone, I doubt I'll ever use the unit to it's full capabilities. Just entering contacts...there must be a way to transfer them from phone to inReach, I did it manually. Believe it or not, Earthmate is possibly the first app I have ever downloaded!o_O

Yesterday, I spoke with tech support who let me know that I had to plug this unit in to a PC and "sync" it. I did so and it still would not register. The users manual lists FIVE steps to set up this device, plugging it into a PC was not one of them but whatever.

97F3FFA4-C73F-48B4-9C8F-B0EB846038D7.jpeg

I told the guy I bet they're still having some growing pains with the merger between DeLorme and Garmin, his reply was "yep, it's been painful".

So my unit is still locked up for whatever reason and still will not register. I'm waiting on a call back from the "billing dept" at Garmin as tech support does not have the required keys or authorization to fix the issue with this device and it's service. Total shit show.

Back
Top Bottom