A project i've been working on

ArkansasDon

Adventurist
BBQ's is been a passion for me for long time. I got into making my own rubs which some have taken several years to perfect. My wife suggested I should come up with my own line & market it. So getting all the legal matters together, which was a chore in it's self, & the name.
Today I got my 2nd proof of the 1st of 3 lines I'm going to come up. Solely Misbehavin' BBQ "Memphis Style BBQ Rub" lable is looking great. The weathered red background with the almond lettering lined in black really makes it.
The Nutrition Facts section is placed along with the Ingredients to the back of the lable. All is left is the address & phone number & the graphics comapny doing the lables will finish up in a few days.
I'm going to offer this rub in 2 sizes 6 oz & 16 oz shaker sifter containers.
Next is the AP Rub "all purpose rub" which the recipe is all finished. Next the recipe will need to be sent off for the Nutrition Facts & the lable designed.
Then I'll focus on the Cajun Seasoning & the BBQ beef rub which is call "Big Iron BBQ Beef Rub" all will carry the Solely Misbehavin' BBQ name.

The black & white picture is my father-in-law photo taken in 1934 I believe, was quite the musician in the big band era were he jammed "after hours" with Fats Waller & other musicians were he mastered the guitar, piano & the clarinet.
SAM_3472.JPG
SAM_3460.JPG

Last edited:
The artwork finished for the label & nutrition facts for my Santa Maria Style BBQ Rub. This rub will be package in 6 oz. shaker style bottles only. Two rubs down & finished: Memphis Style BBQ Rub "my old BBQ competition rub" & Santa Maria Style BBQ Rub. 2 more to go, next will be Big Iron Beef Rub which is coffee chili rub & the AP "all purpose rub". Big Iron Beef Rub will be packed in 6 oz. & 16 oz shaker style bottles, this rub builds a great bark on thick cut beef like briskets, tri tip's, beef chuck roast that cooked low & slow brisket style. It also works very well with hot & fast cooks like grilling steaks. The AP "all purpose rub" will be 6 oz. shaker containers only. This rub a a basic salt pepper garlic with a hint of butter (butter makes every thing good) & a few other ingredients which is great on everything. My rubs have no MSG or GMO's.
The process of coming up with your own BBQ rubs is a long tedious journey. Coming up with the rub recipes are one thing then testing them in low & slow cooks to hot & fast cooks, then all the legal ascepts the nutrition facts with the food testing laboratory, legal name registration trade mark of Solely Misbehavin' BBQ which a one time thing @ the beginning, the artwork of the label & the label printing w\nutrition facts, the container company to the material suppliers: herbs & spices which I'm avoiding to deal with spice co packers & doing all the legal work, testing, labels, packaging them myself & the purchase of the commercial grinder to grind certain ingredients to specific sizes so the rub comes out "sifting or sprinkle" evenly & the ingredients do not separate. It's been a long haul but a fun learning experience.

I haven.t forgot any of ya's who wants a sample. I just been busy with this BBQ rub project, wife & I went back to BBQ Competition, painting, wallpapering "hanging grass cloth", all new base, shoe base, door trim, & flooring in the spare bedroom (making the wife happy). My reloading room \ office \man cave is the next on the hit list.
SAM_4259.JPG
SAM_4260.JPG
SAM_4214.JPG
SAM_3767.JPG
SAM_3799.JPG
SAM_3936.JPG
SAM_3933.JPG
SAM_3941.JPG

Last edited:
This morning I just finished the final testing & recipe for my next BBQ rub, "Old Gringo" a southwestern style rub \ fajitia seasoning to add the line of Solely Misbehavin' BBQ Rub line up. The "Old Gringo" rub \seasoning has hatch green chili powder, green jalapeno powder, roasted granulated onion, granulated garlic & other herbs & spices. It sprinkles perfectly, the color is exactly what I wanted & felt what a southwest\fajitia seasoning should look like. After testing the flavor profile on several different spice co packers hatch green chili powder, they do make a difference I believe I have awesome seasoning that screams southwest flavors.
Now the wearisome part of dealing with the food laboratory for the FDA nutrition label & servings, it's long tedious time frame with multiple emails & they will not call you which would eliminate most of the problems or questions they have. It can really test your patience. It seems you can send every thing they need dotting your i's & crossing your t's & it's still not enough. Nothing is the same from one pervious dealing to the next with these people, it seems they come up or have different procedures.
The art work & dealing with the graphic's \ printers is the fun part, the graphic artist see's my vision how the labels look & represent each product which makes this part exciting & visual. This rub \ seasoning will be packaged in 6 oz. shaker bottles only.
"Big Iron" Beef Rub is bold mix of western type cowboy flavors of roasted coffee ( I use Black Rifle Coffee), chili peppers & a hint of mesquite smoke woth other herbs & spices. Perfect accompaniment to: beef brisket, beef roast, tri tip, steaks, beef ribs, pork steaks & venison, the labels are being designed as we speak @ the graphics\printing company. This will be packages in 6 oz. & 16 oz.
SAM_4420.JPG

Last edited:
This morning I just finished the final testing & recipe for my next BBQ rub, "Old Gringo" a southwestern style rub \ fajitia seasoning to add the line of Solely Misbehavin' BBQ Rub line up. The "Old Gringo" rub \seasoning has hatch green chili powder, green jalapeno powder, roasted granulated onion, granulated garlic & other herbs & spices. It sprinkles perfectly, the color is exactly what I wanted & felt what a southwest\fajitia seasoning should look like. After testing the flavor profile on several different spice co packers hatch green chili powder, they do make a difference I believe I have awesome seasoning that screams southwest flavors.
Now the wearisome part of dealing with the food laboratory for the FDA nutrition label & servings, it's long tedious time frame with multiple emails & they will not call you which would eliminate most of the problems or questions they have. It can really test your patience. It seems you can send every thing they need dotting your i's & crossing your t's & it's still not enough. Nothing is the same from one pervious dealing to the next with these people, it seems they come up or have different procedures.
The art work & dealing with the graphic's \ printers is the fun part, the graphic artist see's my vision how the labels look & represent each product which makes this part exciting & visual. This rub \ seasoning will be packaged in 6 oz. shaker bottles only.
"Big Iron" Beef Rub is bold mix of western type cowboy flavors of roasted coffee ( I use Black Rifle Coffee), chili peppers & a hint of mesquite smoke woth other herbs & spices. Perfect accompaniment to: beef brisket, beef roast, tri tip, steaks, beef ribs, pork steaks & venison, the labels are being designed as we speak @ the graphics\printing company. This will be packages in 6 oz. & 16 oz.
I can hardly wait, Don, 'til you have these available.

Glad you're enjoying the graphics process; I've designed lots of logos, labels, and signs over the years. It's a crucial part of a brand's projection.

Sorry the FDA and bureaucratic process is being a hassle. I have little patience for that type of run-around. "Oh, we need to have___," so you do that. Then you hear "That is incomplete." Then some third person changes what's needed all around. Then you get shifted to another dept which asks for the stuff already submitted. Makes my head spin.

Good luck with it all - count me in as a first customer, for sure.

normally I've had success of dealing with federal gov. alphabet agencies in the past. I've dealt with ATF for over 20 yrs with my last business with little to no grief. I want to get about 80 percent of product line finished before marketing it. Between this, competing in the BBQ competition, working on the farm I stay busy & less time on line.

Please tell me you will have a sample pack available for order soon? I really need to get more grill and smoker time going!

#3 label artwork is finished for "Big Iron Beef Rub". Cathy (graphic artist) nailed it! what I'm looking for in a western cowboy BBQ Rub label that matches the ingredients inside. Now let the printing begin.

This Beef Rub will be packaged in 6 oz. & 16 oz. shaker containers. 2 more BBQ rubs left to do.
Big Iron Beef Rub is bold mix of western type cowboy flavors: roasted coffee, South American & North American chili pepper powders, a hint of mesquite smoke & other ingredients. Perfect accompaniment to: beef brisket, beef roast, tri tip, steaks, beef ribs, pork steaks & venison. It builds a great "bark \crust on long BBQ cooks for brisket.
SAM_4454.JPG
SAM_4464.JPG

#3 label artwork is finished for "Big Iron Beef Rub". Cathy (graphic artist) nailed it! what I'm looking for in a western cowboy BBQ Rub label that matches the ingredients inside. Now let the printing begin.

This Beef Rub will be packaged in 6 oz. & 16 oz. shaker containers. 2 more BBQ rubs left to do.
Big Iron Beef Rub is bold mix of western type cowboy flavors: roasted coffee, South American & North American chili pepper powders, a hint of mesquite smoke & other ingredients. Perfect accompaniment to: beef brisket, beef roast, tri tip, steaks, beef ribs, pork steaks & venison. It builds a great "bark \crust on long BBQ cooks for brisket.
View attachment 56559View attachment 56560
That is the one for me right there. Let me know when/how to order some.

Looks great Don.
‘Hopefully you’ll offer a sample pack (6 oz) of all the flavors. That would be awesome and a great reason to start using my new Big Green Egg!

Back
Top Bottom