5.11 Dart 24 Bag

Gallowbraid

Adventurist
Anyone here have any experience with the 5.11 Dart 24 Bag? I've pulled the trigger on one as they're being discontinued and the stock is dwindling. I need a replacement for the 29l bag I've traveled with for the last 7 years. Just curious if anyone here has used one of these in the wild.

1611613287502.png

Just the one zipper at the top plus the front pocket(s) so it's sort of a fancy dump bag?

Just the one zipper at the top plus the front pocket(s) so it's sort of a fancy dump bag?

Seems like it. My current bag has two zippered compartments, but they don't unzip far enough for the bag to open all the way. I find it nice on airplanes as it keeps all my stuff from dumping out. It's not convenient in the hotel though when I'm pulling out clothing and have to dig for things. That's one of my concerns with this bag, that it's just a glorified stuff sack, but in watching some video reviews I think the additional zippered pockets will provide me enough organization. Once I receive it I'll post more info for anyone interested.

Looks like it has side pockets for Nalgene type bottles as well (a critical factor IMO), but the rest of the bag is quite simple in appearance. Not a bad quality as I just unloaded a "bespoke" bag that I felt was TOO tight and organized for a bag with a more universal layout. It really depends what you want the bag to do. A "dump style" bag can be fine if you compartmentalize the interior with stuff sack or packing cube type organizers.

YMMV

Looks like it has side pockets for Nalgene type bottles as well (a critical factor IMO), but the rest of the bag is quite simple in appearance. Not a bad quality as I just unloaded a "bespoke" bag that I felt was TOO tight and organized for a bag with a more universal layout. It really depends what you want the bag to do. A "dump style" bag can be fine if you compartmentalize the interior with stuff sack or packing cube type organizers.

YMMV

Sadly, it can be tough to find a bag with side pockets big enough to carry a 32 oz bottle. I have too many packs as it is, just curious if I was missing some functionality. It actually reminds me of waterproof bags with the roll top, or even a dry bag, without the roll/clip function. Seems like the wide top would let you see and dig around in it from above pretty easily.

My initial reactions are positive. After receiving the bag I've been homee and not traveling so today's run up to Pennsylvania was my first chance to try it out.

20210301_155913.jpg

The bag is, essentially, a giant stuff sack. The main compartment will easily swallow a week's worth of clothing and toiletries with room to spare. Packing like this makes the secondary compartment (which is holding my laptop and electronics) a little snug, but still usable.

The holder/organizer for the laptop is probably the one part of this bag I don't care for. The sewn in "pockets" with their elastic edges really don't hold anything in securely unless the bag is kept upright at all times. Several cables and my battery pack had fallen out while the bag was in the overhead bin on the plane. I'd prefer a couple zippered pockets vs this setup. It seems like 5.11 wants you to use this as a removable organizer (or at least that's how I want to use it) but the velcro that holds it in the bag works almost too well. I may cover a portion of the velcro so it only holds on at the top and the bottom of the bag. I'm going to need to pickup a couple smaller bags as well to keep things organized and compliment the "stuff sack" style.

20210301_161958.jpg

The biggest compliment I have for the bag is its comfort. It's quite comfortable to wear, to the point I found myself forgetting I had it on while walking through the Nashville Airport. Even fully loaded the straps spread the weight out in a very even manner. It also has good airflow and stayed cool and comfortable through my commute today. Trip 1 has been a positive experience and I think I'm going to really like this bag. Hopefully I can get 7 years out of this one.

Back
Top Bottom