2M Antenna Recommendation

I use a Larsen 2/70 NMO Short. Works great mounted on my roof, just one small hole to drill.

I'll most likely be putting a Diamond 2/70 NMO antenna on the TW once I decide on which radio to hard mount.

While NMO mounts are pretty secure, and I use them, here is something to think about. The NMO mount threaded portion is less than 1/4" high, and only 4 or 5 fine threads are engaged. The UHF mount is about 1/2" high, and about 10 coarser threads are engaged. (The above is from memory and not exact). I have ripped out more than one NMO antenna when impacting a non-movable object. Choose with care. Everything on our trucks is subject to impact with trees and branches.

Depending on your mount location, it may be best to have the antenna as the weak point, maybe not. Think about point of failure.

Last edited:
While NMO mounts are pretty secure, and I use them, here is something to think about. The NMO mount threaded portion is less than 1/4" high, and only 4 or 5 fine threads are engaged. The UHF mount is about 1/2" high, and about 10 coarser threads are engaged. (The above is from memory and not exact). I have ripped out more than one NMO antenna when impacting a non-movable object. Choose with care. Everything on our trucks is subject to impact with trees and branches.

Depending on your mount location, it may be best to have the antenna as the weak point, maybe not. Think about point of failure.
The A-25 series radio on my old patrol motorcycle was mounted on the light bar mount on the rear of the bike. I accidentally kicked the antenna off a few times and each time the locking nut of the NMO bent, but the antenna never failed and the threading holding the antenna never failed. A big difference is probably that the mount was made of 1/8" plate and not light gauge sheet like most roofs.

Fast forward a couple of years to my van, the dual band antenna is NMO mount. NMO is mounted on a tab on the roof rack and sealed below. I made the tab out of 1/8" plate. I broke a cheaper antenna at that mount due to a limb strike and I snapped the Wilson antenna off due to a limb strike (same side, further up the rack)...besides my obviously poor choice in mounting locations the NMO mount and antenna base has held up strongly.

This is why I went with the UHF mount over NMO.

I always have looked at this a benefit of the NMO mount. Like WUZombies pointed out, most vehicles roofs are not made out of the most stout sheet metal. I much rather have my mounts threads fail and allow my antenna to depart than the mount/antenna peel back or bend my roof. Of course, this is just when used thru the roof. If mounted to a steel roof rack or bumper I doubt you would need to put much concern into collateral damage.

Back
Top Bottom