2021 EVENTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
As stated a few months ago HERE, we had hoped that things would be different in 2021. Sadly, we must reluctantly announce that our 2021 events are still on hold.

Why? First off, our communications efforts with the BLM etc are at a standstill as their offices remain vacant, with phone calls and emails unanswered for several months now likely due to COVID. And with vaccinations ongoing and many areas still seeing spikes in the infection rates, the situation is not ideal for the large gatherings we all enjoy.

Meanwhile, other larger, better funded organizations like Overland Expo have similar concerns as ours and they have wisely chosen to delay their events in 2021.

As the founder of the Rendezvous series of events, and the leader of this community, I have to assume the responsibility, and the liability, for these efforts and any outcome that may arise. So this is my informed decision.

We will continue to monitor the situation in hopes of a change, and we will remain agile in case the opportunity presents itself to call an audible. Until then, thanks for your support, be safe, and keep it positive.

Dave

On a related note, other events like Easter Jeep Safari are feeling the effects as well this year. Bummer.

*Edit. Now hearing it's back on. Unsure.

It's a fair call, Dave. I'm watching all these events trying to figure out what 2021 will look like and a lot of it feels like gambling. I'm seeing a lot of optimism around late-summer events, but I'm going to feel bad for any of those organizers who end up having to call things off again if stuff doesn't improve.

Everyone has their own criteria and comfort levels around this crisis, but the fact remains that putting on an event is a massive undertaking in a regular year, so I simply can't imagine juggling all the responsibilities and safety concerns with this much uncertainty.

It's a fair call, Dave. I'm watching all these events trying to figure out what 2021 will look like and a lot of it feels like gambling. I'm seeing a lot of optimism around late-summer events, but I'm going to feel bad for any of those organizers who end up having to call things off again if stuff doesn't improve.

Everyone has their own criteria and comfort levels around this crisis, but the fact remains that putting on an event is a massive undertaking in a regular year, so I simply can't imagine juggling all the responsibilities and safety concerns with this much uncertainty.

Funny, I was just having this discussion on the phone today during lunch.

It's a big gamble for sure, and if I use KOH as an example, all the COVID mitigation stuff (admin and logistics wise) is a huge financial tax. Big events might feel comfortable underwriting that risk, but we're still a small family oriented type COMMUNITY where profit is not a goal nor do I have to answer to stakeholders. The thing is, if we/you/them ANNOUNCE an event, that starts the ball rolling on lots of things beyond just the overhead required for COVID mitigation. Permits, insurance, swag production - those can't just be turned off without a monetary loss of some type unless you leave everything VERY generic and non-event or date specific. That ends up being no fun.

I am hoping that we can still do something this year, maybe we'll have a better idea by summer.

This is certainly upsetting news to me as I have enjoyed the desert and mountain rendezvous events greatly. I suppose I have a mixed bag of thoughts. It's similar to 9.11.01 and all the stuff after. I refused to live my life in fear. I won't today live my life in fear. I understand where you are coming from and the decision to go through with events can directly link you and this great forum to unwanted issues. In no way is any of this a hit on you or what you have chosen to do. In truth if I were in your position I might have to do it as well.

I personally have chosen to continue to go out and meet with friends and live my life. I do not discount this covid foolishness is serious. It does posses a threat. In the same breath, I refuse to be one of those people who ride around in their own car wearing two masks and gloves. I won't stop along the sidewalk and walk out into the street when people are coming towards me to avoid them staring at them with the fear this will jump onto them as they pass by. To see these people and their fear day in and day out just makes me shake my head. I just can't and won't and cannot live like that.

This year they cancelled the Jeepers Jamboree due to newsom's lockdown orders. My group of buddies that normally attend went on our own and we had a blast. Nothing changed other than we were on a much more relaxed schedule. We spent a week prior to and a week after all together with families in attendance hosting barbecues and morning meet ups at the local breakfast stop. No issues came about other than we were genuinely bothered by leaving each others company at the end because over the years we have become family.

I know there are plenty of people who may disagree with my writing's. That's fine as they don't have to attend the trips I take with my friends and family. They might not enjoy the company as it is and really that's fine with me. I'll be glad when this is all over and people will once again shake hands with one another and not stare at each other with the deer in the headlights look in MOPP3.

We, Three Amigos Offroad on a much smaller scale can't get a permit for even a small class maximum of 10. We use WA and OR state ORV and DNR lands and have been on hold for 10 months now. We even suspended our liability insurance. With no revenue it's a tough nut to deal with.

So to update this thread, as of now we ARE having Mountain Rendezvous in CA, details HERE.

Desert Rendezvous is tentatively scheduled for February 2022 in AZ, details will be found HERE.

Sadly, due to bandwidth limitations on my end and the tyrannies of time and distance involved with a condensed post-COVID travel schedule, there will not be an Appalachian Rendezvous in 2021. We do hope to return in the future.

So to update this thread, as of now we ARE having Mountain Rendezvous in CA, details HERE.

Desert Rendezvous is tentatively scheduled for February 2022 in AZ, details will be found HERE.

Sadly, due to bandwidth limitations on my end and the tyrannies of time and distance involved with a condensed post-COVID travel schedule, there will not be an Appalachian Rendezvous in 2021. We do hope to return in the future.

:(

:(

You know I have a big field. Overlanders love fields. If you guys want to do a get together up on the Clan lands I’m down for that. No sponsors, or tail rides or raffles but a bsing weekend instead of a ARV event.

Would have to be in September’cause I don’t want you urbanites spooking the bucks right before archery season.

D9762D08-BDB1-403F-BE84-3D274CB72B4E.jpeg
70F3BD13-1994-48A8-B23B-DA25D3054F1A.jpeg

You know I have a big field. Overlanders love fields. If you guys want to do a get together up on the Clan lands I’m down for that. No sponsors, or tail rides or raffles but a bsing weekend instead of a ARV event.

Would have to be in September’cause I don’t want you urbanites spooking the bucks right before archery season.

View attachment 56803View attachment 56804

That is an interesting idea.

However, for me, I will be in Houston the first weekend of September, and am thinking about taking the long way home and spending a few days in Arkansas. Open to fellow travelers/explorers, of course.

I would like to get up there, and see how the "Northern Rednecks" (or whatever you call yourselves) live. :p

Last edited:

Bummer

I will echo @Haggis offer. we have a similar field, and we have some campsites in the woods on our property, just east of Uwharrie. We are open for visits and gatherings purty much anytime. Promise we will not make you bale hay or take care of the animals o_O. Offer stands for you guys even if it is just ones and twos.

Hell, I was going to put these boys to work…err…give them comprehensive training in self sufficiency…that is.

Wasn’t even going to charge them toooo much.

If we find arrowheads do we get to keep them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom