2019 Colorado ZR2

In mid-July I ordered a rear bumper and tire carrier from Relentless Fabrication. They had a 16-20 week lead time because of reduced shifts. The week before Thanksgiving it shipped, and arrived at my house the Monday before Thanksgiving. Well, I spent much of that week running the household because the Mrs. had a Covid scare and she was quarantined for a couple of days - she had symptoms, but ultimately tested negative. That meant I had precious little time to get this installed on the truck and I was going to be doing it by myself.

Last weekend I was able to get a few uninterrupted hours in the garage and with a little help from the Mrs. and the boy, I was able to get it installed. This bumper doesn't rest on top of the frame rails, but is bolted to the frame on each side with two bolts on the outermost side and two bolts on the bottom, eight bolts total. You're up against gravity unless you have a jack to hold the weight.

No pics of the install because I'm terrible at remembering to do such things, but here are a few from an afternoon ride today...

ZR2 bumper-1.jpg

Swing gate features: Tire carrier, dual jerry can holder, a drop down camp table, 2" integrated receiver behind the license plate, and cutouts for Baja Designs S2 lights

ZR2 bumper-2.jpg

No more spare tire hanging down like a saggy diaper.

ZR2 bumper-3.jpg

ZR2 bumper-4.jpg

Initial impressions: I wish the jerry can holder also held the military water cans. As it is, it only holds the metal fuel cans. I might take it off altogether and opt for Rotopax, which also can mount to the swing gate. I don't need 10 gallons of gas hanging out back there, but a couple of Rotopax and an LP tank mount might be just right. That also keeps the weight of the water jugs in the bed of the truck and not hanging off the back. On the whole, I'm really happy with it.

Not knowing which water cans you have, Wavian makes plastic water cans that look to be the same size as the fuel cans. Something you might want to check into.

Years ago, someone (Wavian?) made metal water cans - essentially fuel cans with a sprayed in liner. Heavy, but sized right. Of course, if/when the liner failed, you had rust to drink.

And you will love the Baja Designs lights - they are bright!

The jerry can holder was a free option when configuring the tire carrier, so I had them throw it in. It's no real loss if I don't end up using it.

I have the LCI military water cans and I like them because I have a 12v submersible pump & rv faucet on one of the caps for running water. All other water cans seem to use a much smaller cap, but I think the pump-faucet could be made to work on some options. I think Relentless specifically makes that holder for two metal flush seam cans. Not only are they heavy, but pricey too.

The jerry can holder was a free option when configuring the tire carrier, so I had them throw it in. It's no real loss if I don't end up using it.

I have the LCI military water cans and I like them because I have a 12v submersible pump & rv faucet on one of the caps for running water. All other water cans seem to use a much smaller cap, but I think the pump-faucet could be made to work on some options. I think Relentless specifically makes that holder for two metal flush seam cans. Not only are they heavy, but pricey too.

I ran two of the Scepter type water containers with the spigot similar to yours in my Taco for years. I placed them in the bed forward corners, one on each side. Worked well, only ran two on long trips one was plenty for 3-4 days. One the rear swing out of the same truck I had both a single and double can holder. I soon realized I rarely needed more than 5 gallons in the USA. Mostly used the double can holder in Canada and that was to avoid paying crazy high fuel prices.

I picked up 2 of these after getting the LRA tank. I was looking for something along the lines of an alubox or pelican but nada.

Yep. They ship to the US. Prices are in Australian dollars so remember to do a conversion.
https://www.drifta.com.au/product/drifta-jerry-can-holder-bag/

Drifta-Jerry-Can-Holder-Bags14.jpg

Last edited:
Well, it isn't exactly a mod, but I just got my truck back after almost a week in the shop. I was the lucky winner of a broken heater core. Sunday afternoon the windows began to fog up and that sweet, syrupy smell of anti-freeze started to come through. By Tuesday it looked like I'd been engaged in some back seat olympics it was so foggy and steamy. The dealer took care of things under warranty and thankfully so. It was over $1k in labor for a $137 part. Hopefully this one lasts more than 18k miles.

It's been a minute since I updated this. The quick and dirty version is...
  • Weboost
  • Midland MXT275 GMRS radio
  • Trigger Six Shooter switching system
  • Cheap ditch lights - temp because Baja Designs is so backed up
  • Bush Company 270 awning
  • Pending: BajaDesigns S2 flush mount reverse lights
I'll post a review of the Bush Company 270 soon. Short version? It's awesome.

70747B45-8CF8-4F8F-8971-77686B053E31.jpeg

C32633FD-95A2-4335-8C20-05CF0586A739.jpeg

9562D10D-2E07-4C0A-82E3-7B394ED9E3F5.jpeg

CDA3DF8E-96EB-403B-9F7D-94457C3C3CED.jpeg

This weekend I got a little trail time in riding in the Talladega National Forest.

2841AD9D-63CB-4E52-AAF8-48F0EDDF9907.jpeg

Bush Company awning is my top contender! First found it on YouTube, Fire To Fork channel. The content creator has a Prado 150 and constantly cooks on the beach, with a wind and no legs required.

Bush Company awning is my top contender! First found it on YouTube, Fire To Fork channel. The content creator has a Prado 150 and constantly cooks on the beach, with a wind and no legs required.
It's so good. It's heavy, but strong. I hadn't seen anyone with one so I gambled on getting it sight unseen. I highly recommend it if you don't mind the weight.

I thought they'd be on a long boat from Australia and I'd have to wait months to get one. I called CVT in Chattanooga to see what the lead time was, and Josiah had three in stock. He pulled one aside for me and I was up there the following weekend. I still had to order a second set of brackets because I wanted to beef up the support by the hinge.

It's so good. It's heavy, but strong. I hadn't seen anyone with one so I gambled on getting it sight unseen. I highly recommend it if you don't mind the weight.

I thought they'd be on a long boat from Australia and I'd have to wait months to get one. I called CVT in Chattanooga to see what the lead time was, and Josiah had three in stock. He pulled one aside for me and I was up there the following weekend. I still had to order a second set of brackets because I wanted to beef up the support by the hinge.

Ill have to stop at CVT in Bend next time I travel through.

Last weekend's camping trip has been turning and turning in my brain. I absolutely hate the Marmot tent I use for solo trips. I've used it for the last seven years, but I've pretty much hated it from day one. We have a Kodiak tent for family trips, but I never take it when I go solo because it's a bit of a pain to set up by myself. However, it's easy with a helper. So, I've been thinking about getting a tent for solo trips. About half my trips are solo, so it's worth the investment for me.

Things I want in a ground tent:
  • Ease of entry - I want to walk into and out of the tent any hour of the day or night.
  • Ease of setup - I don't mind staking things out, but the actual setup needs to be manageable by one person.
  • Room to stand up - I want to be able to change without hunching over or kneeling.
  • Room for a cot - Yup, I'm not sleeping on the ground anymore.
I've been enamored with Oztent for a while, so I've been kicking around the idea of getting one for those trips. My biggest hesitation is loading that cumbersome, heavy beast on and off my roof rack. I looked at the Gazelle tents, but they are not conducive to bathroom trips at 3 am. I trip over the submarine hatch-like door that you have to step & duck through. I've got a lead on a used Oztent with a pretty fair price, so I might go that route.

Last weekend's camping trip has been turning and turning in my brain. I absolutely hate the Marmot tent I use for solo trips. I've used it for the last seven years, but I've pretty much hated it from day one. We have a Kodiak tent for family trips, but I never take it when I go solo because it's a bit of a pain to set up by myself. However, it's easy with a helper. So, I've been thinking about getting a tent for solo trips. About half my trips are solo, so it's worth the investment for me.

• Ease of entry - I want to walk into and out of the tent any hour of the day or night.
  • Ease of setup - I don't mind staking things out, but the actual setup needs to be manageable by one person.
  • Room to stand up - I want to be able to change without hunching over or kneeling.
I've been enamored with Oztent for a while, so I've been kicking around the idea of getting one for those trips. My biggest hesitation is loading that cumbersome, heavy beast on and off my roof rack. I looked at the Gazelle tents, but they are not conducive to bathroom trips at 3 am. I trip over the submarine hatch-like door that you have to step & duck through. I've got a lead on a used Oztent with a pretty fair price, so I might go that route.

Have you considered sleeping in the truck bed? I think you have a short bed, but sleeping corner to corner may give you enough room.

I slept in the back of my Ranger for a week in Death Valley about 10 years ago. I built a sleeping platform in the bed, so I had the entire floor space for me, and a little camping gear. I did have to unload the bed every night. It took a night or two to get everything figured out, but then, all was good. I could not stand up, obviously, but it wasn't too bad getting dressed.

The platform equates to a cot. And, there is no wet tent to put up in the morning.

It is a small space, though. Cozy, but small.

If moving daily or even every other day the Oztent is a bit of a PITA. Even if you don’t set up the awning off the front. Schlepping in bags, pads, cots, etc. If I am base camping it’s my go to. Couple good threads over in the ground tent section on the Oztent.

When solo I sleep in the GX. By far the warmest, comfortable, clean and dry set up.

Here ya go: http://americanadventurist.com/foru...1300-obo-free-delivery-within-150-miles.7650/

OzTents are amazing; and if it'll attach to your awning (see if its compatible, it probably is) it's even better. It was great to see you last weekend - it's been too long. And the ZR2 is looking so good. Good times. :)

Thanks for the ideas, guys. It's always good to think through things critically and not get in a feedback loop of confirmation bias.

The bed is right at five foot, and I'm 5'10. Building out a platform with drawers underneath is something I thought about. I opted for a bed tray so I don't have to crawl in and out of the bed to get to stuff. It also has my fridge and aux battery mounted to it. That leaves little room for sleeping comfortably.

If I'm moving daily and want a super fast setup, I've hammock camped but it's not my preferred setup. What I'm kicking around is something for when I'm base camping for a few days and wandering around in the area, which is what most of my solo trips consist of.

@Steve & Deb thanks for the link. I've been talking to a guy with the same setup, but several hundred bucks cheaper and much closer to me than Maine. I appreciate it, though.

@thedaddybadger it was a great time. Life as a participant is nice, huh? No stress and just rolling with it. Regarding the awning, even if it didn't mate up to the tent a strip of fabric with velcro on one end and a zipper on the other would be all I needed. A local upholsterer could do that for me quickly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom