2018 Taco TRD Offroad

So the Victron MPPT solar charger didn't survive being under the hood. Heat. Water. Both? Killed it. The new one will be going under the rear platform with the ARB compressor.
PXL_20201119_213755939.jpg

So this is going to keep the compressor's quick disconnect and flip switch flush.
Air Panel Short.png

When mounted here. Because there is absolutely no space between that face and the door.
PXL_20201119_213726795~2.jpg

Geez. That was a short life for your solar controller. I guess Victron expects they'll be mounted on the interior of an RV.

2. IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS - This manual contains important instructions that shall be followed during installation and maintenance. ● It is advised to read this manual carefully before the product is installed and put into use. ● This product is designed and tested in accordance with international standards. The equipment should be used for the designated application only. ● Install the product in a heatproof environment. Ensure therefore that there are no chemicals, plastic parts, curtains or other textiles, etc. in the immediate vicinity of the equipment. ● The product is not allowed to be mounted in a user accessible area. ● Ensure that the equipment is used under the correct operating conditions. Never operate it in a wet environment. ● Never use the product at sites where gas or dust explosions could occur. ● Ensure that there is always sufficient free space around the product for ventilation. ● Refer to the specifications provided by the manufacturer of the battery to ensure that the battery is suitable for use with this product. The battery manufacturer's safety instructions should always be observed. ● Protect the solar modules from incident light during installation, e.g. cover them. ● Never touch uninsulated cable ends. ● Use only insulated tools. ● Connections must always be made in the sequence described in section 3.5. ● The installer of the product must provide a means for cable strain relief to prevent the transmission of stress to the connections. ● In addition to this manual, the system operation or service manual must include a battery maintance manual applicable to the type of batteries used.

Not really designed for under the hood.

2. IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS - This manual contains important instructions that shall be followed during installation and maintenance. ● It is advised to read this manual carefully before the product is installed and put into use. ● This product is designed and tested in accordance with international standards. The equipment should be used for the designated application only. ● Install the product in a heatproof environment. Ensure therefore that there are no chemicals, plastic parts, curtains or other textiles, etc. in the immediate vicinity of the equipment. ● The product is not allowed to be mounted in a user accessible area. ● Ensure that the equipment is used under the correct operating conditions. Never operate it in a wet environment. ● Never use the product at sites where gas or dust explosions could occur. ● Ensure that there is always sufficient free space around the product for ventilation. ● Refer to the specifications provided by the manufacturer of the battery to ensure that the battery is suitable for use with this product. The battery manufacturer's safety instructions should always be observed. ● Protect the solar modules from incident light during installation, e.g. cover them. ● Never touch uninsulated cable ends. ● Use only insulated tools. ● Connections must always be made in the sequence described in section 3.5. ● The installer of the product must provide a means for cable strain relief to prevent the transmission of stress to the connections. ● In addition to this manual, the system operation or service manual must include a battery maintance manual applicable to the type of batteries used.

Not really designed for under the hood.
Yeah. I screwed up putting it there.

Something simple today while I wait for the rest of the parts coming in for the air compressor.

(I'm going to follow up with measurements to avoid the ribs in the composite bed but right now I got other things to do)
PXL_20201121_192231285.jpg

So all my parts have arrived and it looks like I have my weekend to plan.

PXL_20201121_192231285.jpg

These are 4 ft quick adjust load tracks. They are an 1 and 1/8" in width. The mounting holes or 4 inches apart with a quarter inch diameter.

PXL_20201125_184513410.jpg

The ends are 5 and 1/8" from the edge of the composite bed and line up where the ridge flattens out. Numbering mounting holes from the rear of the truck forward starting at #1. Drill pilot holes for #5 and #8. Those will need self-tapping screws as they straddle the composite bed support ribs. For the rest I used rivnuts for composites/plastics.

Measure. Measure again. I'm done but I go back and measure again just to be sure. Then I get into CAD and I go by the measurements I took 3 times. But I keep going back out to the truck to retake the measurements. I get the drawing done and I go out to the truck and remeasure again just to confirm everything is correct before I send it off to be printed.

The part arrives and I wonder if it will fit and should I commit to cutting. I finally do and when it slides into place my response is "well I'll be...... it fits". :rolleyes:

PXL_20201127_171709334.jpg

Last edited:
Things are taking longer than expected. Still waiting for some wire to show up so I can move the solar controller inside the cabin.

Wire harness for the solar panel runs under the front cowl now. Same thing I did for the ditch lights.

Don't mind the dog hair. He just wants to be a part of everything.
PXL_20201203_001451398.jpg

Last edited:
Under the hood has been cleaned up.

I'm really not happy with how high the connector for the solar sticks up. Thinking of making something I can 3D print and have it recessed into the panel. but then I'll have to deal with dirt getting down in there.
PXL_20201204_183028269.jpg
PXL_20201204_183039492.jpg
PXL_20201204_183604310.jpg
PXL_20201204_183233033.jpg

Well the front end's done. 12 gauge runs from the solar to the back and 8 gauge runs from the battery to the back. Also permanently mounted my switch and quick disconnect. I really hate pulling cable through firewall gaskets.

I had planned to mount the compressor on the driver side. Change of plan. Going on the passenger side. Crawled underneath the Tacoma and there's a huge gas tank blocking access to mounting it on the driver side :lol

PXL_20201205_191333161.jpg
PXL_20201205_191226632.jpg

You can probably run the wire inside the "C" of the frame, right along the gas tank.

Run a fish tape or rigid rod along the frame, past the end of the tank, tape the wires to it, and pull it back. IIRC, you should have a relatively unobstructed path.

You can probably run the wire inside the "C" of the frame, right along the gas tank.

Run a fish tape or rigid rod along the frame, past the end of the tank, tape the wires to it, and pull it back. IIRC, you should have a relatively unobstructed path.

Got the wires inside with a fish tape through the firewall gasket. A long wedge of cardboard wrapped in electrical tape in front of the blunt end of the wire bundle ramped the gasket over and around.

Going along the C channel would have been easier but the floor gasket that I would come up into the cabin is also behind the LRA gas tank

Got the wires inside with a fish tape through the firewall gasket. A long wedge of cardboard wrapped in electrical tape in front of the blunt end of the wire bundle ramped the gasket over and around.

Going along the C channel would have been easier but the floor gasket that I would come up into the cabin is also behind the LRA gas tank
Got it.

I wasn't thinking about the going up into the cab part.

This was over the weekend. Cleaned up the solar panel connector with a 3D printed part.

DPT Cowl Mount Cut.png
PXL_20201215_184758978.jpg

PXL_20201215_193831704.jpg

Finally I got this wired up and running. Now that all the wires are cut to length and running where they should I've got split loom that's going to go over them. Battery leads already have nylon mesh abrasion resistant loom.

8 gauge runs from the battery to the fuse block. 10 gauge from the fuse block positive and negative terminals to the compressor. 18 gauge for switching.

Positive lead to the compressor has a 40 amp maxi fuse before the relay.

Switching has a 5 amp ATC fuse from the block, manual switch, pressure switch, relay, then to ground.

PXL_20210105_230302439.PORTRAIT.jpg

Back
Top Bottom