2017 SoCal Mountain Rendezvous Discussion: Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Adventurist
Founding Member
Tires. They're the most expensive routine maintenance item on our vehicles. They're the only connection we have to the trail (unless we have too much fun). They spin around. So let's talk about them!

We will discuss types, sizes, treads, proper air pressure for street and trail. But talking about stuff gets boring so we will do some practical stuff. Like repairs, reseating a bead and (hopefully) remounting a tire with a high lift.

Unfortunately, I'm not starting this without a bit of a personal benefit. I recently started back to school and I'm taking statistics and I need to gather some data for a final project. So let's answer a question: is your tire pressure gage accurate? I will have some tires at the main fire pit before the class and ask everyone (even if not attending the class) to stop by with your personal gage and take a quick reading on each of them. Then add the readings to a list along with your screen name and your type of gage. I will use the data to do some crazy statistics stuff and see how accurate our instruments really are. The full data will be published in an article on Adventurist Life for all to see.

Also, bring your tire repair kit (if you have one, if not I will have a loaner or two). We will mutilate an old tire and practice repairs. This is a great opportunity to see how well your kit works, share your knowledge and lessons learned or pick up some new knowledge for your next adventure!

Time

0830-0930 Tire pressure gage data collection (stop in before trail rides!!)

0930-1030? Discussion and practice

Thanks for the having tire "discussion" on Saturday. It was great opportunity to get some practice and guidance from experts on how to properly plug a tire before I have the pleasure of doing it on the side of a trail (I may have just jinxed myself). I also have to admit it was oddly entertaining drilling holes in a tire!

Were you planning on posting the results of the data you gathered @Andy ?

Working on it, managed to transport a new influenza/plague virus back from the east coast this weekend :eek:. I will have results up later this week!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom