2014 Desert Rendezvous: Official Thread

Are you attending the 2014 Desert Rendezvous?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Matt here from Rebel Off Road. I'll be attending in my 2010 4WD Toyota Tacoma. Trying to convince a few other wheeling buddies to join in on the fun. This will be my first time to this event, and I already can't wait for it!

Cheers

Hello all,

Matt here from Rebel Off Road. I'll be attending in my 2010 4WD Toyota Tacoma. Trying to convince a few other wheeling buddies to join in on the fun. This will be my first time to this event, and I already can't wait for it!

Cheers

I'll see you there! (We recently met again at the SoCal ExPo meet at Tustin Brewery and I've been to the shop several times to get work done).

I knew I should have registered yesterday! :facepalm But I'm still waiting to sort some stuff out on my van before I'm 100% sure and didn't want to have to cancel again. :peek Not getting the van back until tomorrow. Please add me to the wait list!

If a spot opens up I want in!

“...so one day my mother sat me down and explained that I couldn't become an explorer because everything in the world had already been discovered. I'd been born in the wrong century, and I felt cheated.”
― Ransom Riggs

So now that the event is full, can we announce the location so us anal retentative OCD types can start planning things for the area, caravans out, etc.:truck

Haven't been on here in a while and just saw that I'm late. Damn!
If anyone drops I want in please : )

Edit: And I'll be bringing the new rig after the untimely death of the old beast a week after MRV R.I.P.
I will NOT be bringing the RV this year btw ; )

Last edited:
COORDINATING INSTRUCTIONS

Below you will find the final coordinating instructions for the Rendezvous. This is what you need to know to get there and have fun :)

PLEASE READ AND PRINT THIS OUT FOR THE EVENT!

**Super secret location of the Desert Rendezvous:

Google Earth cut and paste: 33°35’58.13″N 115°32’13.31″W

Google Maps cut and paste: 33.599581,-115.536937

SCHEDULE:

FRI:
1200 Arrivals
1800 Happy Hour followed by Campfire

SAT:
0900 Desert Cleanup/Trail Runs
1200 Lunch
1300 Desert Cleanup/Trail Runs
1500 Desert Cleanup Trash Photo/Group Photo
1530 DRV T-shirt distribution at Potluck area. Have your shirt ticket in hand, sizes are first come first serve!
1600 Fire up the BBQ's/Dutch Ovens
1700 Rendezvous Potluck/Dutch Oven Competition
1800 Desert Cleanup Raffle
1900 Campfire

SUN:
TBA

2013 DESERT RENDEZVOUS GROUP PHOTO.jpg

PLEASE NOTE:
-There is a GREAT community potluck on Saturday night. To eat, you must contribute :)
-There is a Dutch Oven Competition following the potluck. There will be a prize for the best dish sponsored by Snow Peak!
-The swap meet is continuous i.e. no set time/place, buyers and sellers connect on their own schedules in camp.

See the Rendezvous Potluck Thread HERE

See the Rendezvous Swap Meet Thread HERE

OVENS.jpg

POTLUCK.jpg

DESERT CLEANUP INSTRUCTIONS:
1. The intent for the Desert Cleanup is that as folks head out on trail runs, or in camp, that we police up all the trash we encounter (except old historical type detritus) along the way and bag it up. Bring your own trash bags.
2. Bring this bag back to camp, show it to me or a representative for a RAFFLE TICKET (bag 'o trash gets you a ticket).
3. Stage the bags/trash for a PHOTO SHOOT at raffle time. After the picture, put the bag BACK IN YOUR RIG for transport back to the trash can or dumpster of your choice at home.
PLEASE do not abandon your trash bag/s in camp for "someone else" to remove. If I see a bag of trash left behind I may have an out of body experience...

Logistics and Safety Update 2/21/13:
-Nearest fuel/supplies is at Chiriaco Summit on I-10. Gas, diesel, food and beverages.
-No, you should not drive to DRV in a Prius. Or an RV. Really?
-Yes, you should have real 4WD in the desert. Really.
-No water and no facilities on site i.e. no bathrooms, bring your own loo.
-You must bring what you need, and pack out what you pack in. Including your trash collected during the cleanup.
-Bring your own FIREWOOD!

Dave said:
Let's take a moment to educate ourselves on a very important member of our SoCal desert ecosystem - the desert tortoise.

DESERT TORTOISE INFORMATION

General ecology
Desert tortoises (Gopherus agassizii) occupy a wide variety of habitats in the United States. In California, tortoises generally occur in valleys, flat areas, fans, bajadas and washes below 4,000 feet in tree yucca (Joshua tree and Mojave yucca) communities, creosote bush and saltbush scrub habitats, and in some ocotillo-creosote habitats. They occupy a wide variety of soil types, ranging from sand dunes to rocky hillsides, and from caliche caves in washes to sandy soils and desert pavements. Tortoises must have suitable soils and terrain for constructing a burrow and must have adequate annual and perennial plants in the spring and/or summer for forage.

In general, tortoises hibernate from October through February and are underground in burrows during that time. On warm, sunny days an occasional animal may be found near the mouth of its burrow in late fall or winter. In the Mojave and Colorado deserts, the prime activity period is late winter and spring, from mid to late March through May. In early spring, tortoises are out from mid-morning to mid-afternoon, during the warm part of the day. As air temperatures rise, tortoises emerge from burrows earlier and retreat earlier.

Tortoise populations have been declining in many areas for decades because of collecting, vandalism, loss of habitat, and disease. Government agencies have recognized the problems facing this species for many years. In June of 1989 the California Fish and Game Commission listed the tortoise as a threatened species under the California Endangered Species Act, 50 years after the first protective legislation. On April 2, 1990, the US Fish and Wildlife Service determined the Mojave population of the desert tortoise to be threatened (55 FR 12178). Reasons for the determination included significant population declines, loss of habitat from construction projects, and conversion of native habitat to agriculture. Livestock grazing and off-highway vehicle (OHV) activity have degraded additional habitat. Other threats include illegal collection by humans for pets or consumption, upper respiratory tract disease (URTD), predation on juvenile desert tortoises by predators, fire, and collisions with vehicles on paved and unpaved roads.

When you are hiking, camping, or having a picnic in the desert, you might see tortoises. The list of DO'S and DON'TS will increase enjoyment of the desert and at the same time protect the tortoise.

DO'S
Enjoy the tortoise at a distance with binoculars, respecting that it is a wild animal. By keeping a distance, you will reduce stress to the tortoise. When a tortoise is frightened by an approaching person, it may release the contents of its bladder. Tortoises store water in the bladder and can reabsorb it during dry seasons. The loss of water can place the tortoise under unnecessary stress or contribute to early death.
If you remain still and quiet, the tortoise may approach you and rest in your shade.

Check under your car before driving away. Often a tortoise will seek the shade of a car and be next to the wheels.
Be careful around tortoise burrows. The roof can be very thin near the opening and it is possible for you to trample the burrow, tortoise, or any nests. Do not walk on or near the burrow opening.

During summer and fall thunder showers, drive slowly on desert roads, especially the dirt and paved roads with little traffic. During rain storms, tortoises can be quite active and come to roads to drink the pooled water.

Follow the rules for the area: drive only on designated roads, camp in appropriate areas, be careful with fire, and take your trash out with you.

DON'T'S
Please do not handle the tortoises. State and Federal laws prohibit touching, handling or any type of harassment. Handling may also harm the tortoises because they may release the contents of their bladders.
Do not move close to photograph the tortoise with your camera, but instead use a telephoto lens.
Do not try to "pose" a tortoise for a picture. If you approach too closely, you might frighten or stress the tortoise.
Do not pull tortoises out of burrows or cover sites.
Do not drive off-road, unless you are in a designated open area.
Do not let your dogs run unsupervised in desert tortoise habitat.
Do not damage or remove desert vegetation or other features.
Do not release any tortoises into the desert.
Do not move tortoises from one place to another.

For more information on desert tortoise:
http://www.mojavedata.gov/deserttortoise_gov/
If you have a smartphone, you can download the free Mojave Desert Tortoise App from the iTunes store to submit your findings of this rare species and learn interesting facts as well.

While it is easy to tell the difference between Native American artifacts and modern trash, it can be a bit trickier when dealing with historic-era archaeological artifacts. This area also has a significant history involving mining, railroad, and early pioneers, not to mention the overland stage route. It would be a shame to accidentally throw some of this history away. Yosemite National Park does a yearly clean up and has a good flier on how to distinguish "trash from treasure."

You can download a copy at:
http://www.aviationarchaeology.com/trkimages/YOSETrashv.Treasure.pdf

Why is this even important, you ask? Well they have another flier for that:
http://www.aviationarchaeology.com/trkimages/YOSEArchofTrash.pdf

The most common historic items accidently picked up were old rusty cans and glass. In general, if it is rusting out, it is old enough to be historic; and for glass you can generally differentiate the older stuff from the newer as the older glass tends to be thicker, have more imperfections, such as bubbles, and has color shades that are different from modern glass.

Vendors in attendance at the Rendezvous, contact them now for possible delivery at the event and save money on shipping:

TEMBO3.jpg

TEMBO TUSK

at-overland3-1024x404.jpg

ADVENTURE TRAILERS

equipt_zps439d7060.png

EQUIPT EXPEDITION OUTFITTERS

All-Pro_logo1.jpg

ALLPRO

frontrunneroutfitters.jpg

FRONT RUNNER OUTFITTERS

URSAMINORVEHICLES.jpg

URSA MINOR VEHICLES