2014 American Adventurist Event Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly don't want to anger the gods :)
I should probably try some rhubarb before the Appalachian Rendezvous.:eat

-Andy

Yes Haggis, woe unto them, however a little education about this vegetable/fruit will serve this audience best.

Then if they persist with critical rhetoric you can smite them at a cyclic rate.

Historical Rhubarb

Rhubarb is a very old plant. Its medicinal uses and horticulture have been recorded in history since ancient China.

Early History
Earliest records date back to 2700 BC in China where Rhubarb was cultivated for medicinal purposes (its purgative qualities). According to Lindley's Treasury of Botany, the technical name of the genus (Rheum) is said to be derived from Rha, the ancient name of the Volga, on whose banks the plants grow. There were those who called it Rha Ponticum, and others Rheum or Rha-barbarum. Others derive the name from the Greek rheo ('to flow'), in allusion to the purgative properties of the root. One of the most famous pharmacologists of ancient times the Greek Discorides, spoke of a root known as "rha" or "rheon&;quot;, which came from the Bosphorus (the winding strait that separates Europe and Asia).

Roots in Europe
Marco Polo, who knew all about the Chinese rhubarb rhizome, talked about it at length in the accounts of his travels in China. So much interest on the past of Marco Polo is accounted for by the fact that in those days Venice was an extremely important trading center, and that as a result of eastern Arabic influence, Chinese rhubarb was already widely used in European pharmacy, especially in the school of Salerno. The roots of the Chinese type are still used in medicine. A planting of rhubarb is recorded in Italy in 1608 and 20-30 years later in Europe. In 1778 rhubarb is recorded as a food plant in Europe. The earliest known usage of rhubarb as a food appeared as a filling for tarts & pies. Some suspect that this was a hybrid of the Chinese variety of rhubarb.

About 1777, Hayward, an apothecary, of Banbury, in Oxfordshire, commenced the cultivation of rhubarb with plants of R. Rhaponticum, raised from seeds sent from Russia in 1762, and produced a drug of excellent quality, which used to be sold as the genuine Rhubarb, by men dressed up as Turks. When Hayward died, he left his rhubarb plantations to the ancestor of the present cultivators of the rhubarb fields at Banbury, where R. officinale is also now cultivated, from specimens first introduced into this country in 1873. Both R. Rhaponticum and R. officinale are at the present time grown, not only in Oxfordshire but also in Bedfordshire. Although specimens of R. palmatum were raised from seed as early as 1764, in the Botanical Gardens in Edinburgh, it is not grown now in this country for medicinal purposes, experiments having shown that it is the least easily cultivated of the rhubarbs, the main root in this climate being liable to rot. R. officinale and R. Emodi have to some extent been grown also as an ornamental plant, being also quite hardy and readily propagated.

Appearance in America
Early records of rhubarb in America identify an unnamed Maine gardener as having obtained seed or root stock from Europe in the period between 1790-1800. He introduced it to growers in Massachusetts where its popularity spread and by 1822 it was sold in produce markets.

Rhubarb Nutritional Information

Rhubarb is 95% water and contains a fair source of potassium, contributes minor amounts of vitamins, and is low in sodium. Rhubarb's crisp sour stalks are rich in vitamin C, dietary fiber and calcium, although the calcium is combined with oxalic acid and so is not easily absorbed by the body. Rhubarb is somewhat acidic (pH 3.1-3.2) but in most recipes this is normally offset by sugar. One cup diced Rhubarb contains about 26 calories.

Serving Size: 2/3 cup (85g)
Calories: 20
Calories from fat 0 % Daily Value*
Total Fat 0 g 0%
Saturated Fat 0 g 0%
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 0 mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 4 g 1%
Dietary Fiber 2 g 6%
Sugars 1 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 10%
Calcium 8%
Iron 0%

Medicinal Rhubarb

Rhubarb has a long history of herbal usage. The primary result of rhubarb root as an herbal medicine is a positive and balancing effect upon the digestive system. Rhubarb is one of the most widely used herbs in Chinese medicine. Rhubarb roots are harvested in the fall from plants that are at least six years old. The roots are then dried for later use. The root is used as an anticholesterolemic, antiseptic, antispasmodic, antitumor, aperient, astringent, cholagogue, demulcent, diuretic, laxative, purgative, stomachic and tonic. Rhubarb roots contain anthraquinones which have a purgative effect, and the tannins and bitters have an an effect that is opposite that of an astringent.

When taken internally in small doses, rhubarb acts as an astringent tonic to the digestive system, when taken larger doses rhubarb acts as a very mild laxative. The root can be taken internally for the treatment of chronic constipation, diarrhea, liver and gall bladder complaints, hemorrhoids, menstrual problems and skin eruptions due to an accumulation of toxins. Note that this remedy should not used by pregnant or lactating women, or patients with intestinal obstruction. Used externally, rhubarb root can be used in the treatment of burns.

People have further claimed that Rhubarb enhances the appetite when it is taken before meals in small amounts, that it also promotes blood circulation and relieves pain in cases of injury or inflammation, inhibits intestinal infections. and can also reduce autoimmune reactions. The impact of the rhubarb depends on how it is prepared. More recently there have been claims that rhubarb root (Rheum officinale) can be useful in treatment of Hepatitis B.

Rhubarb has many other uses.

Cleaning pots and pans
Use Rhubarb to clean your pots and pans (no joke!) If your pots and pans are burnt, fear not! An application of rhubarb over the afflicted area will bring back the shine in next to no time. Environmentally friendly too!

Hair Color
This is a fairly strong dye that can create a more golden hair color for persons whose hair is blond or light brown. Simmer 3 tbsp. of rhubarb root in 2 cups of water for 15 minutes, set aside overnight, and strain. Test on a few strands to determine the effect, then pour through the hair for a rinse.

Insecticide
Rhubarb leaves can be used to make an effective organic insecticide for any of the leaf eating insects (cabbage caterpillars, aphids, peach and cherry slug etc).

Recipe 1

Basically you boil up a few pounds of rhubarb leaves in a few pints of water for about 15 or 20 minutes,
allow to cool,
then strain the liquid into a suitable container.
Dissolve some soap flakes in this liquid and use it to spray against aphids.
So, next time you pick some rhubarb stems to eat, you can put the leaves to good use rather than just composting them (which isn't in itself such a bad use, I guess).

Recipe 2

Shred 1.5 kg (3 lbs.) rhubarb leaves
and boil in 3.5 liters (1 gallon) of water for 30 minutes.
Allow to cool and then strain. (use old utensils if you can - the rhubarb will stain most things and poison the rest.
In a small saucepan heat to boiling point 2.5 litters (2.5 quarts) of water and mix in 125 g (4 oz) of softened soap ends (any bits of soap left in the shower).
Allow to cool (stirring regularly to make sure all the soap is dissolved).
Add to the strained leaf mixture, stir vigorously, and the spray directly onto infested leaves.
The unused spray can be kept for a day or two, but keep your kids away its still quite harmful.

Rhubarb inspired art

Paintings

James Grainger, is a British artist who specializes in oil paintings of Vicars and Morris Dancers in curious and surreal situations. Many of his paintings include rhubarb, as can be seen in the sample to the right. Be sure to visit his web page: James Grainger's Gallery

Music

The Rhubarb Tart Song

1. I want another slice of rhubarb tart.
I want another lovely slice.
I'm not disparaging the blueberry pie
But rhubarb tart is oh so very nice.
A rhubarb what? A rhubarb tart!
A whatbarb tart? A rhubarb tart!
I want another slice of rhubarb tart!

2. The principles of modern philosophy
Were postulated by Descartes.
Discarding everything he wasn't certain of
He said 'I think therefore I am a rhubarb tart.'
A Rene who? Rene Descartes!
Poor nut he thought he was a rhubarb tart!

3. Read all the existentialist philosophers,
Like Schopenhauer and Jean-Paul Sartre.
Even Martin Heidegger agrees on one thing:
Eternal happiness is rhubarb tart.
A Jean-Paul who? A Jean-Paul Sartre!
Eternal happiness is rhubarb tart.

4. A rhubarb tart has fascinated all the poets.
Especially the immortal bard.
He caused Richard the Third to call on Bosworth Field:
'My kingdom for a slice of rhubarb tart!'
A rhubarb what? A rhubarb bard!
Immortal what? Immortal tart!
As rhymes go that is really pretty bard!

John Cleese

Poetry

Rhubarb Limericks

Subject: Inconsequential Rhubarb Nonsense
Date: 1998/10/08
Newsgroups: alt.jokes.limericks
Rhubarb when raw is so tough
And its leaves contain poisonous stuff,
But when cleaned and de-soiled
Dipped in sugar and boiled
Then the stalks are quite tasty enough.

Subject: Re: Inconsequential Rhubarb Nonsense
Date: 1998/10/12
Rhubarb is much better in pies
Sweet, sour and attracting flies
It's good as gooseberry
And tasty as cherry
Please, have a slice -- do not be shy!

Date: 1998/10/12

We would just wipe it off and chew
Then watch each other's mouth go askew
So sour yet so good
That was in my boyhood
Things were tastier circa 1942.

Date: 1998/10/09

"Your rhubarb, I've noticed it grows
By the outhouse where everyone goes!"
Grandad said, "Lad,
It isn't so bad...
They're family! Just people we knows!"

CFC control

The January 19 issue of SCIENCE Magazine reported that scientists have discovered a way to convert environmentally damaging chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) such as Freon into four harmless components: sodium chloride (table salt), sodium fluoride (an ingredient used in toothpaste), carbon, and carbon dioxide. CFCs have been historically hard to destroy, because they are relatively inert. Professor Robert Crabtree and graduate student Juan Burdeniuc used sodium oxalate that is found in rhubarb leaves to destroy CFCs. (The article didn't mention if the researches actually got the sodium oxalate from rhubarb leaves or not but did mention that is where it is found).

Rhubarb Paper

Apparently the fiber in rhubarb is a nice additive to handmade papers.

Don't scoff at the rhubarb. Haggis won't like it and it's the signature vegetable/fruit of American Adventurists...

rhubarb1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I certainly don't want to anger the gods :)
I should probably try some rhubarb before the Appalachian Rendezvous.:eat

-Andy

I think that would be a very good Andy.

I stand before the gods, and you good gentlemen, a humbled soul.
I shall not take thy rhubarb's name in vain.

I think Mario should just bring the Teardrop.

-Andy

This will be long remembered as "The Rhubarb Incident." I am sure, in the distant future, I will pay for my misgivings.
Anyone know where I can purchase extra flotation bags for a Liquid Logic 10 ft kayak? (preferably sword resistant)

-Andy

What will be remembered, this coming October, is the look of joy that spreads across your face as you enjoy a slice of rhubarb pie.

Enough of this crap: Rhubarb = the fastest way to ruin a strawberry pie.

Oh go ahead and taunt them, you're young still!

-Andy

Ignore him Andy... he's generally hopped up on the S'berry. Little does he know that the tiny little seeds of that berry are lodged deeply within the recesses of the rugae of his gastrointestinal tract just waiting to tear into that tender tissue only to become feculent and spawn numerous questionable polyps and pustules throughout his alimentary system. Tick-tock, tick-tock... Also, the S'berry abuse is directly related to the hideous, acute level of alopecia he vainly tries to conceal with odd little hats.

His days are numbered... if only he showed the wisdom to routinely consume nutritious and delicious rhubarb. Enjoying the cathartic properties of this wonder vegetable/fruit would have mitigated the rotting intestines masked by his powerful, chiseled exterior encased in shimmering, skin-tight lycra.

Ok Dave, now you're just teasing us.. Open up the RSVP list for MRV, so I can get on that thing!

Stand by, we are implementing some lessons learned and changing the way we do RSVP's. Our event RSVP's will not open any earlier than about 3 months out - stay tuned.

Having tried rhubarb, and hated it, I'll stick to the rhubarbless strawberry pie! :)

Just a thought on the Appalachian Rendezvous Logo. You know most of us do wear shoes now (most of the time, usually on Sunday, on the way to the beer store). Just a thought. :)

-Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom