2008 Northstar MC600

jscusmcvet

Adventurist
So here it is...
We recently sold our pop up and our T@B and have been searching for what's next. Ann has always been keen on the idea of a truck camper, especially after spending time with the FWD folks at Expo east last year. The way we see it, we can tool along in most east coast circumstances in her 2wd Tacoma Prerunner and when it calls for 4wd, or if I break away on my own (!) or with Joe for a trip, we can drop it into our little trailer and tow with our Jeep.
I keep a constant search going on our local craigslist and this camper popped up in New Bern, NC, just 3 hours away. I sent Ann the ad and she was all in (as I have stated many times in the past... I, like many of you, married way the hell above my paygrade).

We went to look at it. Great guy, making the switch from mountain living in Asheville to waterfront at the coast and was ready to sell. Once we saw it in person it was a done deal. I made my offer and he accepted... partially because his name was Joe, so my Joe thought he was super cool, partly because in his words, he knew we would use it and my offer was only 10% less than his asking :)

Some key items... it fits in our truck, it has a queen size bed and a dinette that fold down for Joe, it was super clean, has an outdoor shower and hot water heater, has fantastic fan and steps to attach to the rear...

We really like how easy it is to pop up and down and it is crazy how roomy it feels in there. Tonight we were in there with me, Ann, Joe and @BushHead and we could actually sit and chat (and sweat... it is July in NC)

So on to the pics:
IMG_3201.JPG
IMG_3202.JPG
IMG_3198.JPG
IMG_3207.JPG
IMG_3203.JPG
IMG_3204.JPG
IMG_3205.JPG
IMG_3206.JPG

I have ordered some Hellwig 550 springs and will be picking up a new deep cycle battery tomorrow morning. Next step is to figure out how to mount our ARB 2500 awning. Tomorrow night is supposed to unseasonably dry with less heat and less humidity, so we are thinking we'll take a test run up in our field.
Also it has solar already built in, fixed panel on the roof, but we do not know the size yet or anything.

All three of us are excited to see where this takes us.

John

We have already taken the rear jacks off and will take the front ones off. saves over 300 pounds and I cannot see us taking the camper off "in the field". A crazy idea to rig up some chain hoists in our barn has led to a stupid amount of brainstorming and looks like we will give that a try, picking up some chain hoists on Sunday, I hope.

So here it is...
We recently sold our pop up and our T@B and have been searching for what's next. Ann has always been keen on the idea of a truck camper, especially after spending time with the FWD folks at Expo east last year. The way we see it, we can tool along in most east coast circumstances in her 2wd Tacoma Prerunner and when it calls for 4wd, or if I break away on my own (!) or with Joe for a trip, we can drop it into our little trailer and tow with our Jeep.
I keep a constant search going on our local craigslist and this camper popped up in New Bern, NC, just 3 hours away. I sent Ann the ad and she was all in (as I have stated many times in the past... I, like many of you, married way the hell above my paygrade).

We went to look at it. Great guy, making the switch from mountain living in Asheville to waterfront at the coast and was ready to sell. Once we saw it in person it was a done deal. I made my offer and he accepted... partially because his name was Joe, so my Joe thought he was super cool, partly because in his words, he knew we would use it and my offer was only 10% less than his asking :)

Some key items... it fits in our truck, it has a queen size bed and a dinette that fold down for Joe, it was super clean, has an outdoor shower and hot water heater, has fantastic fan and steps to attach to the rear...

We really like how easy it is to pop up and down and it is crazy how roomy it feels in there. Tonight we were in there with me, Ann, Joe and @BushHead and we could actually sit and chat (and sweat... it is July in NC)

So on to the pics:
View attachment 32031 View attachment 32033 View attachment 32034 View attachment 32035 View attachment 32036 View attachment 32037 View attachment 32038 View attachment 32039
This is exactly what we are looking for.

VERY COOL! I really think you guys have found your answer. You can still flat tow your Jeep if need be, the camper will sleep the three of you and get you all out of the weather. Like I said before, we get 30 nights a year or so out of ours. I wish mine had an outside shower, something I've considered adding.

VERY COOL! I really think you guys have found your answer. You can still flat tow your Jeep if need be, the camper will sleep the three of you and get you all out of the weather. Like I said before, we get 30 nights a year or so out of ours. I wish mine had an outside shower, something I've considered adding.
Doubt the Tacoma could pull the jeep while toting the camper, but we do have a small boat that Jonah and I built 13 years ago that we can now take with us on trips and I expect the kayaks are going to have to be in or on a trailer also... the truck is slam full.

This morning I picked up a new battery. Just a basic deep cycle lead acid size 24 (only size that will fit) with 86 AH. That plus my 90 watt panels and the panel on top of the camper (I am guessing it is 30 watts or less) should keep us rolling. Also removed the front jacks. Pics later.

That is nice! The interior looks new, I think you guys got a good deal. Just don't let my wife look inside, I really don't want to buy truck...yet.

-Andy

That is nice! The interior looks new, I think you guys got a good deal. Just don't let my wife look inside, I really don't want to buy truck...yet.

-Andy
Haha.. I think I can parlay this into a truck for myself before it's all said and done... (shhhh.... don't say anything about that to Ann...)

So we circled back around and remounted the jacks (if it ain't broke, etc...) I cannot see us unloading the camper when we are camping though, so we will most likely remove them after loading the camper each time we go. It is a total of 12 bolts and all are easily accessible, so no biggie. I suppose this will be one of those learning things as we go.

Also watched a few videos from FWC and saw they use through the bed eye bolts on all four corners for mounting the camper to the truck bed. Luckily Lowe's hardware carries the right eye bolt, with WLL of 2200# each. So I have that on my project list. The camper came with the Happijac attachment points for the rear bumper. Does anyone have input on which method would be better?

So we circled back around and remounted the jacks (if it ain't broke, etc...) I cannot see us unloading the camper when we are camping though, so we will most likely remove them after loading the camper each time we go. It is a total of 12 bolts and all are easily accessible, so no biggie. I suppose this will be one of those learning things as we go.

Also watched a few videos from FWC and saw they use through the bed eye bolts on all four corners for mounting the camper to the truck bed. Luckily Lowe's hardware carries the right eye bolt, with WLL of 2200# each. So I have that on my project list. The camper came with the Happijac attachment points for the rear bumper. Does anyone have input on which method would be better?

John,

Check out Torklift. That is what I am using for the Hallmark. I think it is a superior product. I bought the ones that attach to the frame, easy install and quick disconnect (fastguns) for taking it on and off.

Thanks @Maxcustody . So you know me... Here is FWC saying spend $32.95 at the local hardware store or then again spend $299 on a torklift system... so the question is what's better, the FWC system or the happijac bumper attachment that the camper came with?

I think they will both do what you need to secure the camper. Better...........For the money obviously the hardware store, for convenience From what I have researched, the torklift system or Happijac for taking it on and off a lot if you need to. Not much help I guess.......LOL

We loaded the camper back on the truck this morning, pulled the jacks off and spent the day wandering. Truck sits level enough with the new Hellwig 550's and does not sway in turns as all compared to before the springs. I did also take the rear tires up to 60 PSI ( E rated tires with a max PSI of 80#)Honestly I think we are done with this part. This first pic is headed out our driveway. The rear tire here is stuffed in uneven terrain, so it is not sitting as low as it looks.
IMG_3215.JPG

IMG_3220.JPG

We put about 80 miles or so on the truck today, a combination of our driveway (your 4wd trail, trust me, or come visit), 2 lane country roads, state highways and about 20 miles on the interstate. I am completely satisfied with how the truck handles.

When we got home we parked, leveled her up a bit and I checked over some more of the systems. Stove? Check. Outside shower? Check. Then I rigged up a way to use our Kelty carport as a rear awning. Using some sections of an old jeep top I had I rigged a place for the hooks on the awning to attach to the side walls and a few poles. Can either be down to the ground for more privacy or can be up on poles for an open awning feel.
IMG_3223.JPG

IMG_3224.JPG

IMG_3226.JPG
IMG_3222.JPG

And yes, that Is Joe in the background, sanding rust off a Tonka jeep we picked up at a junk shop today. That's how he rolls.

Tomorrow I will work on a more permanent camper to truck mounting solution...

A bit of work this morning. I did go ahead and add the Happy Jack rear bumper mounts. According to the company the strength comes from mounting it near the bend in the bumper. So that is what I did. I like it. Clean and super easy.
IMG_3227.JPG

Taking a cue from @100acre and then from @bob91yj , I talked to Ann about those little AC units. She is all in and said, "Damn, if we had that this weekend we'd be at the beach"... enough said. Question I have is how to remove this window? This rear window is what Northstar uses to mount the same type of AC unit, so it should work, and there is an outlet just below it. I just do not see any fasteners or anything on the frame.
IMG_3228.JPG

IMG_3229.JPG

IMG_3230.JPG

And finally a spot to stick these up, just for fun...
IMG_3231.JPG

Back
Top Bottom