2008 Land Rover LR3 "The Major" Build

Creel

Adventurist
Hey guys, You are probably asking yourself why I would choose a Land Rover for a reliable off-road or overland platform. Well, I have loved this body style since its release in 2005, I studied the vehicle and made sure to buy within a particular year range, from a reputable dealer that knows Land Rover, and one that had as many factory service records as possible. We used to have a 2007 JK Sporticon built for rock crawling and after we started our family we decided something more overland purpose built would suit our needs better. So, Sarge was sold and we moved up to the Major. The Major is a Tonga Green 2008 LR3 HSE Lux package from the factory. This is how the Major looked coming home, pretty basic with a 2.5" Lift Rod lift and 275/65/18 Goodyear Wrangler Tires.
LR36.jpg
LR37.jpg
LR38.jpg

When we brought it home we decided to take the Major out and stretch his legs off-road at the Land Rover Off-Road Experience: Biltmore Owners Day event. The Major rolled through the obstacles with ease and required no real modification to complete the tasks at hand. We did add a rood rack we already had on hand as well as the Hi-Lift Xtreme 60" jack just in case we had a recovery situation.
lr31.jpg
LR39.jpg
LR310.jpg
LR311.jpg

After the event I decided I wanted to see what the vehicle was really capable of so we signed up for the first Southern Xpeditions Presents The Southern Overland Rally at Uwharrie National Forest. I was paired with a team of Toyota's to compete in the challenge. To prepare we needed to add a winch and a spare tire. We also decided to add some convenience items like our Black Forest Gear Fridge and Tuff-Rok Power Panel upgrading to some much needed USB ports instead of a cigarette ash trey and lighter. I already had a Superwinch EXP left over from Sarge that I decided to fit behind the factory bumper for the time being. I also installed a set of Terrafirma Rock Sliders to protect the body from trail damage in URE and Big Creek as well as provide a Hi-Lift Lift point on the side.
LR313.jpg
LR314.jpg
LR312.jpg
lr33.jpg

Over all the LR3 did great I had to use the winch on Dickey Bell to crest the hill climb and help pull my front end down slightly. I nicked an air line but was able to get back to camp and patch the air ride with a piece of Smittybilt airline off the compressor I carried. After patching the Air Ride I was able to do a proper fix when I got home. Again, Nothing damaged on one of these events to prevent me from coming home!! After the event We decided to concentrate on modifications to make it more comfortable at camp and keep it as simple as possible. I found a factory Land Rover Dog Kennel with Divider on Craigslist for $150 instead of the original MSRP of $750 and thought this would be the start to a perfect platform of organization. I had some Smittybilt GEAR MOLLE bags left over from Sarge as well as Fire Extinguishers to mount.
LR315.jpg

Whats Next???? Well we just recently upgraded to the ARB Classic 50 qt Fridge, ARB Single On-Board Air System and ARB Awning that we are hoping to install soon!!! For Photos we carry the DJI Phantom PRO 3 Drone, Iphone 11 Pro and Nikon DSLR camera. We have a RinseKit onboard for water as well. We also Mounted a set of Goodyear Duratracs we had in the garage until we decide what tire we want to run. We are looking at adding the ARB Summit Series Front bumper and Simpson lll RTT for this falls camping season. I will post updated photos of the rear Fridge, on board air and awning as soon as they are installed. Till next Post, See you out there.

Here are some recent updates to the LR3.

1. Atlantic British Winch bumper with a custom bolt on bull bar from 12th State Off-Road. I chose this bumper because it keeps the departure angle as close to factory and I have complete access the the winch. I did not like the lack of a bull bar so I simply had one made.

2. dash MOLLE panel. My dash has started cracking pretty bad. The LR3 is plagued with cracks along the dash. I didn’t want to pay for the expensive over lay so I came up with something functional for me. It carries First Aid, fire starter, and a pen and flashlight.

3. Garmin Overlander with RAM mount.

4. Midlands GMRS Micro Mobile with the ghost antenna.

5. Zarges boxes

6. ARB 50 Liter Fridge

7. New Wrangler Duratracs

8. X-Bull recovery boards

9. Front Runner Awning

2136569F-3189-485E-A475-0FDC8FEFE952.jpeg

2097EF36-92EA-4058-AD3C-14D7FC532AC1.jpeg

5F355DF5-2814-42D6-A032-136F3CA4EDA0.jpeg

DB8B5B8B-F7CE-420E-9638-0923DD4A4CAB.jpeg

4CC39450-D050-4700-8525-5AA8A241C9BF.jpeg

F4EF1254-333E-4DC7-9A8F-3359C1D01583.jpeg

CB8AFD91-E5B3-4BAF-805D-360C7B6DA954.jpeg

7775E873-014D-4530-AD51-BDD921B157F9.jpeg

57D8DA57-7669-45F7-B659-04DEB0424D3D.jpeg

6B07A33C-B931-4A79-877C-A1EAE126AB95.jpeg

7890D8F0-352C-468C-A7C4-E7E4198A91DC.jpeg

E63D5F9A-63F7-4EB8-B1DD-18899500A94C.jpeg

582F81FA-E8DF-4FF9-9EF8-CA0AD9131AAC.jpeg

2B9088E1-CA50-47E3-BDF5-E23FEEEB6B5A.jpeg

AA86C52F-5E5A-4C47-ABE3-C086B4221B01.jpeg

You’ve done an excellent job upgrading and outfitting this machine. Your enthusiasm for this platform is quite evident, well done!

You’ve done an excellent job upgrading and outfitting this machine. Your enthusiasm for this platform is quite evident, well done!
Thanks Dave. It is fun to build one that isn't necessarily on the "Most Wanted" Off-Road SUV list. With not a lot of aftermarket support we are working to make the vehicle function better for us. I look forward to sharing more photos.

Thanks Dave. It is fun to build one that isn't necessarily on the "Most Wanted" Off-Road SUV list. With not a lot of aftermarket support we are working to make the vehicle function better for us. I look forward to sharing more photos.

I hear you. Back when I started building my 2005 Tacoma I felt the same way. Everything was made for other models but the aftermarket just wasn’t there for what we needed. I ended up figuring a lot of stuff out on my own before it was “cool”, you’re doing the same thing here.

Make it yours, make it work, keep it light and simple as possible!

In your original post you mentioned that there were certain years you were interested in. Out of curiosity, which years and why? Build is looking great. They are so much better off road than people realize (I had a D1 a few years back). Super comfy and super capable.

That front bumper offers excellent winch visibility/access! Wished the companies building bumper for Toyota products would build something like that!

I
That front bumper offers excellent winch visibility/access! Wished the companies building bumper for Toyota products would build something like that!

This is exactly why I purchased this bumper over the ARB or Proud Rhino. I wanted complete access!! I added the bull bar because I thought it needed something to round it out.

In your original post you mentioned that there were certain years you were interested in. Out of curiosity, which years and why? Build is looking great. They are so much better off road than people realize (I had a D1 a few years back). Super comfy and super capable.

Thanks, it has been a great truck. I have had to do some air ride work and I replaced the cooling system. The truck has been bullet proof for 3 years now. I mainly looked at 2008 and 2009 models. They are said to be the best product years. 2009 got body color fenders and bumpers which would be nice. I would have loved to get a HD package with the real locker but I have decided I would rather have the ARB to have a selectable locker. Just avoid the 2005 really. They had some air ride problems.

I hear you. Back when I started building my 2005 Tacoma I felt the same way. Everything was made for other models but the aftermarket just wasn’t there for what we needed. I ended up figuring a lot of stuff out on my own before it was “cool”, you’re doing the same thing here.

Make it yours, make it work, keep it light and simple as possible!

I want to figure out some sort of mountain hatch style rear lower door cover! I have contacted them and goose gear to see if they will consider it and neither are interested.

I want to figure out some sort of mountain hatch style rear lower door cover! I have contacted them and goose gear to see if they will consider it and neither are interested.

Pro tip: Get some cardboard and start making mock-ups until it’s perfect. Then cut some 1/2 Baltic birch ply to suit. Once you have the plate dialed in, cover it with Upol Raptor or Monstaliner.

Done son!

Pro tip: Get some cardboard and start making mock-ups until it’s perfect. Then cut some 1/2 Baltic birch ply to suit. Once you have the plate dialed in, cover it with Upol Raptor or Monstaliner.

Done son!

I will work on that! I need to build a pull out drawer under the fridge. Thanks for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom