2005 LJ

I have been buying from them since 2004/5 or so and have always been happy with their products. The engine skid has saved my bacon a bunch of times. Nice people it seems also.

Yeah. I'm so close to them I feel bad for not stopping by more often. Might have to poke my head in again soon.

I did have to make some adjustments today. The gas tank skid would impact my rear diff skid on bumps. Today at lunch I pulled off into a parking lot and pulled off the rear diff skid. Looks like I am in the market for a low clearance skid or a replacement beefed up diff cover.... never ends...

I know a guy for that too. http://atozfabrication.com/atoz_fabrication_bombproof_dana_44_differential_cover.html?category_id=82 If I recall it's a little lower profile than the stock design. You'd have to check with him for sure though. I've been considering at set of his covers because my current Solid brand cover on the front hits the track-bar. Haven't had any issues in the rear yet with the GenRight tank.

@Dean - Do you want this diff skid plate? It is the Rough Country one. Perfectly servicable. You should have the same D44 rear diff as me. If it will fit with your Genright tank... If you want it I will ship it to you no $.

John

@Dean - Do you want this diff skid plate? It is the Rough Country one. Perfectly servicable. You should have the same D44 rear diff as me. If it will fit with your Genright tank... If you want it I will ship it to you no $.

John

Thanks for the offer but I already have an upgraded one. As I said, it's currently not hitting so I should be okay.

I am considering adding a roof rack to my soft top LJ and wondered who has run a roof rack? What are/were the pro's and con's? Did it increase noise? Do you/did you make use of it? Impact on mileage? Any other thoughts welcome.
Thanks,
John

^^^^I'll be watching this to see what you come up with. When we take our Jeep on extended trips a roof rack would come in very helpful. I've been using a soft bag style roof rack for a few years.it does what it is supposed to do.

bajajeep003.jpg

The biggest issue with it is securing the bag to the roof when running a full top.

2011bajaextravaganza257.jpg

Last edited:
Just bought some 3" Nth degree springs for the jeep. Should be just right. Currently sitting on 2.5 + 0.5" body lift. I think the 3" will be solid and the Nth degree springs should handle a bit better than the rough country. More to follow when I get them installed.

I didn't realize Nth Degree was still in business. I thought AEV took over their product line a few years back.

If I were to get a rack, I'd probably get the Garvin Industries expedition rack. Sadly it's very pricey (which is why I don't have one). It works with either the hardtop or softtop and hinges if/when you want to change tops.

That said, I'm not keen on roof-racks due to the increase in center of gravity. I like to keep my loads low and stable. I know you're in a pinch with packing for a family but if you keep the load light I'm sure something like the Garvin rack would work for you if you don't want a load riding on the rollbars.

The Garvin is a pretty stout rack but the powder coat on them isn't great and they are prone to flaking and rust.

I had an all aluminum and stainless steel rack from RockyRidge on my LJ as it was the mule for the first prototype. It was whisper quiet and light as hell. But I'm not sure if David is still in business or not. Haven't heard from him in years.

IMG_3380.JPG

Just tie stuff to it with a rope....
View attachment 27552
You know us well enough to know that this is accurate. Actually Ann is usually up there in her rocking chair sporting her shotgun...

The Garvin is a pretty stout rack but the powder coat on them isn't great and they are prone to flaking and rust.

I had an all aluminum and stainless steel rack from RockyRidge on my LJ as it was the mule for the first prototype. It was whisper quiet and light as hell. But I'm not sure if David is still in business or not. Haven't heard from him in years.

View attachment 27570
I like the look of that as it is right with the lines of the jeep.

Received some nth degree 3" springs today. Going to try and get them on before leaving for the Winter Safari this coming weekend. I built the rest of the suspension to handle up to 3" so it should be a simple swap. Looking for an improved ride, mostly.

Road test for driveline vibrations, you're going to be altering your driveline angles. With a slip joint style rear driveshaft, you want your rear pinion angle and the transfer case output angle to be parallel.

Road test for driveline vibrations, you're going to be altering your driveline angles. With a slip joint style rear driveshaft, you want your rear pinion angle and the transfer case output angle to be parallel.
Thanks Bob. I went ahead and did the install today (OK,OK, OK... so I left work a little early :D) Install was fairly easy, rears went in piece of cake, fronts took a little more grunt, disconnecting the shocks, etc... but all in all done and I am happy. Definitely firmed up the ride. My eyeball measurement tells me I picked up about 1" but I failed to get before and after messages. Joe and I went for a test drive, no issues. I like the way it rides. I will go back and check the drive shaft angle as @bob91yj suggests. Just because I don't notice the vibes does not mean they are not there, so I will check. I have some lower control arms sitting in the shop ready to go on the rear axle. Might go ahead and pick up some rear uppers so I can dial it in perfectly. For now I like the way she sits... Of course I had my helper. Today we worked on identifying the right lug wrench size and tightening in the star pattern...
IMG_3002.JPG
IMG_3006.JPG
IMG_3003.JPG

Last edited:
Well I was going to offer my help for a beer or 2 ( probably 6 ) but you seem to have knocked it out, let me know if I can assist.

And yes, the frame, the axle, the whole dang jeep is muddy. Unavoidable in the squish that is my driveway at the moment... more pics.
IMG_3010.JPG

IMG_3005.JPG

IMG_3004.JPG

Drove about 100 miles today for work. Jeep rode great. Much firmer ride, no sway in the corners... a bit harder in the rough stuff but all in all I am happy with the spring change. Jeep looks better, sits a bit higher and will be ready for 255's or 285's on the next tire purchase. That was the goal all along. Will be doing some camping in the NC mountains and wheeling this weekend, so will report back. This is the first time my brother is ever going wheeling with me, so I am excited. Just me and him and some other guys... no kiddos, no wife's :)

Back
Top Bottom