2005 BMW R1200GS Air/Oil cooled

Total distance: 6151 mi
Max distance, single day: 1028 mi
Max elevation: 8893 ft
Min elevation: 270 ft

solarrendezvous 2017.png

That's awesome! I just called Morton's earlier this week to inquire about the new g310gs, I want one so bad! How do you like that shop?

They're really good. I travel down from Rockville MD to get the bike serviced there.

An example of how they've looked out for me. I had a clutch issue after the trip. 5th and 6th gears were slipping. After the 6K trip, putting 20k miles on it in a year, and considering it's a 2005 I wasn't surprised. I trailered it down to Mortons to have it fixed and I was expecting to spend about $1500. Service manager caught that the hand guard was rubbing the clutch lever as I was checking it in and let me know that a clutch replacement probably wasn't necessary. It wasn't. They could of gotten away with replacing the clutch and taking my $1500 but they didn't.

Oh awesome! I wish my BMW auto dealer was as frank and straightforward! They just deadpan look you in the eye, and without blinking throw out numbers with commas for any little old thing. $250 for an oil change, check. $1000 to change the thermostat, check.

I'm 80% sure that I WILL have a g310gs in my garage at some point. The other 20% is leaning towards the f800gs, but it would have to be used.

This is what happens when you screw up. And how you get a 500lb motorcycle back upright. There's two ways to do it. Put your back against the seat. Get a good grip. Then start backpedaling. Tried that twice before the start of the video. Bike kept sliding. Or as you see in the video. Put your chest into the seat. Get a good grip and start driving with your legs.

Cylinder head fine. Cosmetic damage only. Crash bars did exactly what they are supposed to do. Fixable with a rattle can.

And fixed with a little sand paper and a rattle can of satin black. I like it when a screw up is that easily fixed.

IMG_20180618_142315287.jpg
IMG_20180618_152854.jpg

Sad to say that this bike has reached the end of it's road in a wreck on my commute to work. Not planning on getting another at this time.

Back
Top Bottom