1999 Jeep Cherokee, Keepin' It Mild

Mike

Adventurist
Founding Member
Well, it has been a little a couple years since I was in the off road world. Back in 2006 we had bought a 2000 Cherokee and built it up as a great expedition vehicle, built for moderate wheeling and to tow our Kamparoo camping trailer. It did a GREAT job and we loved it for the 6+ years we had it. From there we moved up to a Dodge Ram with a Four Wheel Camper as we wanted to move up to a little more comfort in the camper department. Built that rig up and had great times with it. A couple years ago some life changes happened and we sold off the Ram/FWC setup. Over this time I still longed for getting out into the back country as some of my best memories are places we traveled and the people we traveled with.

Last week we decided to get another Cherokee but our needs are a little different than the past. Before our rigs were dedicated weekend toys. After buying it, I started going back and looking at my previous build and wanted to do exactly the same things. Then I started to look at the budget adding up and had to think honestly what is our REAL needs for this rig. It will be used for a couple days a week of driver duties and the half dozen or so day trips out to the deserts or mountains. Is doing a full on build really what this rig needs? I am just having wonderlust of what I had before versus what I need now?

After a very honest look at our needs, I decided that I am going to keep this very mild. Stock to 1" lift total (like the Up Country option, 1" higher). Going to 235/75-15 tires on stock type wheels, so it won't require any re-gearing or lift for larger tires. What I want to address is some things to help prevent damage or allow the most flex of the suspension. This has me looking to do rock sliders and transfer case skid plate. It has a rear tow hitch currently and will likely add a front one, to allow for recovery points without the added weight and cost of large off road bumpers. I am looking at aftermarket front control arms to allow for good flex without stressing things. Definitely sway bar disconnects, which make a huge difference in flex and ride comfort off road. The reality is, it will look fairly stock from the outside but will likely get us anywhere we are really looking to travel at this point. Nice thing is, most everything will be usable should I decided at a future point to do the full build.

So here is what it looked like when I picked it up. It's a 4.0L, AW4 auto, 242 transfer case with 126K miles. Not liking those wheels, I picked up some 5 spoke Jeep wheels and have a set of Dualer Revo 2's on order (had these on my last one and loved them). I'll post pics of the new wheels/tires once I get them installed.

cherokee.jpg

I will update this as I make progress. Should be interesting to see all of the places we go with a relatively "stock" Cherokee. Stay tuned....

Welcome back Mike...you'll be amazed at the places you can get that vehicle with minimal mods.

Got the new Jeep wheels and Revo's installed today. Really show how much the rear springs have sagged. Common on XJ's over 80K miles. Looks so much better though!!!

cherokee2.jpg

IMAG1782.jpg

Well nothing exciting but getting all of the baseline maintenance done. Today was plugs, wires, cap and rotor. I purchased new steering linkage to replace the original stuff but in the idea of upgrade when you can, I found that the Grand Cherokee V8 linkage fits but is much beefier than the stock Cherokee. Waiting to install until I get the new control arms, so I only need to get one alignment.

That's it for today.

Well Houston, we have a problem. I had started noticing a random tick/knock that would come and go. Sometimes idling in park but not other times. It might go away when I rev'ed it but other times not. When it happened, it did seemed tied to engine RPM's but again, it was at random times. Doing some research I found three very common sources of this noise. First, it was valve ticking. The Jeep 4.0L engine does not have any valve adjustments, just hydraulic lifters which take up any slack. If you get one or more lifters that bleed down, it can cause this. Second was a rod knock. Having had this in another car, it didn't quite sound like this. Third is a cracked flex plate, which seems to be common for any 4.0L with over 100K miles. Well of these three, the flex plate was the easiest to check. Just need to remove the cover and take a look (rotating the engine to inspect the whole plate.

Well, I guess I found my answer (see inside the red circle)

IMAG1796.jpg

Yep, that's a cracked flex plate. Of the three options, this is by far the easiest (which is still not easy) to fix. Well I guess a lifter tick, you just leave it (can try different weight oils or additives). Transmission/transfer case has to be dropped to replace the flex plate. Happy it's not an internal engine issue but bummed it still needs the effort to fix. Going to definitely put some other projects on the back burner...

Ugh, that sucks. Getting to all the trans bell housing bolts on a Cherokee is a pain in the rumpus. An extra pair of hands and some extra long extensions make it easier though.

An update. Since I really didn't have the time to deal with replacing the flex plate, I did something I normally don't do, I dropped the Jeep off at a shop to have it done while out of town. When they got the flex plate off, it was only held together by about 2" of metal. The rest was cracked around the center. Also while checking things out, the mechanic found a small hole in the transfer case and it only had about a half quart of fluid. Wow, that could have really been bad. He was able to tap the hole and plug it, then refilling it back up. I also had him replace the fluid and filter in the transmission. He also did a full inspection and found the driver side wheel cylinder and the shoes were cracked. I decided to tackle replacing those two items myself and did that today, on the last day of 2017.

Just have a few more maintenance items left to do and it should be good for a while. Then I can start to get on with the more fun stuff. :)

An update. Since I really didn't have the time to deal with replacing the flex plate, I did something I normally don't do, I dropped the Jeep off at a shop to have it done while out of town.

What? Mike had a shop work on his rig? :panic :crazy :wrench

So I have been dealing with rear brake issues. The mechanic had found a leaking wheel cylinder and the shoe lining was cracked. Decided to replace those myself and this is where things have gone downhill. New NAPA premium shoes and wheel cylinders. Replaced those and bled and adjusted them. Test drive and it seems that when I would get a few miles away, they would start dragging. Checked temp with IR gun and they are running about 275*, hotter than the front discs. Checked adjustment and they seem fine. Also get a little pulse when they start dragging. Didn't do any of this before but now I am thinking they had the shoes adjusted to where the rear brakes were not working. Took it to the mechanic to verify I hadn't put something together wrong (been 25 years since I replaced drum brakes, I had drums!!!) but everything looked good and he couldn't find any issues outside of the drums likely being out of round.

Okay with this info I decided to buy a new set of NAPA premium drums and readjust. Installed them but adjusted the shoes so they were loose. No dragging or heat issues but I could tell the brakes felt like they did when I first go the rig. Confirms they were likely not working before. Adjusted them again as they should and braking greatly improved. Thought I had it solved but sure enough when they would warm up, they would start dragging but intermittently. I can also feel a pulse again when applying the brakes. I am about done with these!!! I can't stand drum brakes and most of my classic cars/trucks, I converted many over to 4 wheel discs. I think I am going to do that with this rig and be done with it.

That said, I finally swapped headlights over to a set of JW Speaker 8900 Evolution 2 series and freakin' love them! Not cheap but wow do they work good. I had tried a $100 set off Amazon that many XJ folks were talking about but I had them installed one night and hated them. Poor pattern and light scatter. Returned them. Here's some pics.

IMAG2041.jpg

IMAG2043.jpg

Low beam
IMAG2048.jpg

High beam
IMAG2049.jpg

Well that's it for now.

Yeah, those J.W.'s are the bees knees.

And drum brakes? That's like antique tech, I refuse to deal with drums anymore myself. What a PITA!

Back
Top Bottom