1996 Jeep XJ

Michael S

Adventurist
Figured I'd start a thread for my Jeep Cherokee, I'm starting to like this place more than other places ;)

Here is Betty the day I got her.

photo.jpg

First things first, new front shocks.

ni_zpsdc063085.jpg

2_zpsf5b8f4f4.jpg

Looks great. The xj is my favorite Jeep. Wish they still made it.

The XJ is my favorite as well! Never could really get into Wranglers, CJ's, or even JK's.

The XJ I had didn't come with any recovery points in the rear so I had to fix that by installing a tow package in the rear :)

Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 5.10.32 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 5.10.41 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 5.10.49 PM.jpg

I took her to Pismo to have a little fun, first time driving my OWN 4x4 vehicle there.

tumblr_msb95nZSv61qzedw3o1_1280.jpg

Got pretty stuck, air downed even more and she drove right out of this hole.

tumblr_ms5pujdxDG1qzedw3o1_1280.jpg

This dune happened to be the perfect ramp. Jumped her 3 times.

tumblr_ms102z4GVn1qzedw3o1_1280.jpg

Learned that there wasn't enough clearance with the fenders and jumping.. did come down hard of the passenger side though.

Note to self: No more jumping. (Got that bug out of me)

tumblr_ms3vltoaYD1qzedw3o1_1280.jpg

It is a cheap and simple thing to add on. But it is one of my favorites. (not pictured I recently put velcro to strap it down in case of an accident)

unnamed.jpg

And about the above comment, I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean :confused: guess it goes with the quote though..

Okay, I can appreciate your observation; let me see if I can help.

1. Read post #5. Pay particular attention to the last couple sentences.
  2. Ruminate over your conclusion.
  3. Examine the final picture of the post.
  4. Watch the film, 'Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.'
  5. Review the film quote.
  6. Utilizing the deductive process observe that there is a similarity between the content and conclusion in post #5 and the film quote.

If that wasn't helpful I have some sock puppets and we can go through it again via Skype. :D

Jeep made the Cherokee with a rather crappy floor pan. So they are prone to rust. Having a flowmaster under the floor which was a little closer than the stock muffle caused the rust to accelerate a little bit. So when on a trail with some friends I smelled something funny and turned around to find that my floor was on fire/smoldering.

452_zps097f472c.jpg

No problem. Fixed it right quick.

52_zps5fe1eaa5.jpg

Went on a trip to the Miller Jeep Trail, came home and had a crack in the bottom of my radiator.

photo 3.jpg

Here is the new one in, is actually running a little bit more than 10 degrees cooler at all times as well.

photo 4.jpg

I suffered through an '87 XJ with the pressurized plastic coolant reservoir. Didn't have it long enough to convert it to a conventional radiator.

Did you change the thermostat and hoses at the same time? Having owned an XJ I know their cooling systems can be finicky.

I didn't change the thermostat, but I did replace a few of the hoses.

I suffered through an '87 XJ with the pressurized plastic coolant reservoir. Didn't have it long enough to convert it to a conventional radiator.

Haha yeah, seems like pre-92 the XJ's weren't the best creations. This one still does have a plastic reservoir. But if it goes again I will put in an aluminum one.

Nothing wrong with a plastic reservoir, it's when it is an under designed part of the pressurized system that it became an issue, ot least it did on XJ's! The Renix engine management never gave me any issues.

Got the crash course from youtube on how to rebuild the u-joints in my front and rear axles.

View attachment 9522
I learned from an old guy at the machine shop. No tools except a medium sized ball peen hammer. It was like fast forward photography lol. I can do it but it takes me 5 minutes per joint
Nice jeep btw, Cherokees make great platforms to build from. They are so simple

Back
Top Bottom