1957 VW Baja Bug

Sub'd. :popcorn

Excellent learning/bonding project for your kids...well done. My first vehicle was a 1968 Baja Bug, and the hook was set deep. :D

Baja's, and VW bugs in general are mechanical simplicity personified, and if you aren't relying on it as the DD, just plain fun to work on!

I loved wrenching on weekends, and that car was the inspiration for my first set of metric wrenches.

Where are you sourcing your parts? Not sure of your location, but VW Paradise in San Marcos, CA is an excellent shop/resource.

Paradise Motorsport Website

Keep it up!

Wow, this brings back great memories! I went through a bunch of these back in the 60's and early 70's. So kool you and your daughter can have fun doing this together, no doubt she'll remember this forever. Keep the updates coming.
Woodienut

Have been getting parts from Pierside in Huntington Beach as it's the closest to drive to

We made a battery cable the other day and need a couple final parts and it should almost be there just need to do the brakes

Has been fun for sure
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437157366.581935.jpg

My first vehicle was a sky blue 72 Beetle. Foolishly gave that up for a run of the mill Chevy pickup. Stupid.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Ground strap on
Exhaust on
Changed the oil
Hooked up the fuel lines and seems to not be drawing from the tank would run if the line was directly in a gas can? So need to see if there is a break in the line somewhere letting in air

Free car wash

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437266445.046893.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437266465.250034.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437266476.488450.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437266503.452158.jpg

Rain finally stopped and pulled the tank the the soft line from the tank to the hard line was as brittle as can be broken in multiple spots so some new line and got it running

Need a 17mm male socket to fill the trans tomorrow

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437279908.521595.jpg

Got the trans set up it was missing a part but put new seals in even used a torque wrench to get it right

We are going to pull the other side to make sure the missing part was only on one side

Should be attacking break lines this week and try and adjust the clutch cable

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438119781.269940.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438119791.786460.jpg

With the short list getting shorter we took the beetle off no-op and got the tags in order

Had the guy who bought the 67 shell off me stop by and he showed me how to fix the handbrake - just took someone who know how the internals go together to get it sorted - also have the interior finally in

Photo Jul 30, 5 51 19 PM.jpg

Photo Aug 02, 6 48 51 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 31, 4 39 00 PM.jpg

Man, reminds me of my 1974 super beetle cal bug. 1600cc with dual Delorto 40's. I remember every few thousand miles had to whip out the feeler gauge to adjust the valve and finding TDC on the main pulley. I was 19 then, how fast did 30 years go by. Had so much memories in the bug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We realized last night that we will need a new clutch cable as there is no way to adjust the one we have it is too corroded

And we have a bad front left wheel cylinder

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438872060.301521.jpg

Replaced the clutch cable and wheel cylinder and master cylinder this weekend should hook up the brakes tomorrow and give it another go

So I adjusted the clutch cable yesterday and finished hooking up the brake lines tonight after work

Didn't have time to bleed them but the clutch free play felt right but once in first it wouldn't come out

We wiggled the beetle and it came out shorted the cable and got the free play back to around a inch and gave it another go

https://vimeo.com/135937055

But then it seemed to stick in gear again so I guess it seems the clutch cable is settling in as I need to tighten it some more

Should have time Wednesday to bleed the brakes and give it another go

Back
Top Bottom