Let's talk about Road Trips!

In January I would stay way south! The upper plains states winters are brutal, whiteouts with blue sky and 50-60 mph winds!!! The fam back in Nebraska said its not as bad as it use to be but I'm not use to that crap anymore!

Route 50 is a lot more intact and certainly more genuine, stretching from Ocean City, MD to Sacramento, CA, 3073 miles, and 12 states. Below image shows the interstate system in blue and US Route 50 in red. I've gone for miles and miles over vast spaces with a speed bump of a small rural town and then back to the droning pavement and enticing terrain. Oh the stretch of 50 going through Colorado that parallels a long abandoned RR right of way with telegraph line poles paralleling the rail bed. If you squint you can see the locomotive approaching in the distance... or it's just the meds again out of balance. Whatever - it's cool to see that piece of history in evidence.

People are way more friendly along this route too, since it's not inundated with vacationers. As a plus, there are a lot more military bases along this route that you can utilize for inexpensive Space-A lodging or camp grounds.

1024px-US_50_map.png

Looking hard at this route right now :coffee

So I'll be taking the rig on a cross country journey from SoCal to northern Illinois soon. January 2017 to be exact. Here's the vision:

I'd like to take about 2 weeks and just get lost along the way. Take a few dirt roads and stay at random camp sites that I don't even know about yet.

You know. Have an Adventure.

Nothing extreme or too technical - I am driving a trail whale after all. It's quite capable for its size, but arboreal considerations are a must as are ensuring departure angles aren't too crazy.

So my plans will be loose like my schedule and I'd love to involve the community here in the planning of this road trip.

How to proceed? :map
If you want to swing south my family and I will be in Big Bend NP and area Dec 29-Jan 3. You're welcome to join us.

Just ran across this thread, Dave on your trip east, find a day to run highway 191 on the east coast of Arizona. You can
e25f457b157af3a232eaeac962b338f3.jpg
b1596eb3349a17885315d09aa86eb28c.jpg
cdce59a6e3b635c1502f73843f379df8.jpg
cut south of 40 @ Flagstaff to 10 or visa versa. Not exactly a shortcut, but Lots of great places along the way to camp. Check the weather, you wouldn't want to take it in the snow!
b716097b4ff2af926fdc46da8e363b82.jpg

I stayed @ Juan Miller campground at the bottom of a canyon. Snow would have been problematic getting out in the morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. Current plans are to depart from the west coast sometime after January 17th.
Well we're camping over MLK weekend in the Davey Crockett National Forest, you're welcome there too (just outside of Crockett, Texas).

Rt. 50 through CO in January can be interesting. Need to watch the weather.
True. There were plenty of weather barricades on the roads. I can just imagine the snow drifts, which would make for some epic images if the trail whale was caught in it...

Back
Top Bottom