Random ADVENTURE Photos!

Sunrise in the desert yesterday morning:

IMG_0928.JPG

IMG_0931.JPG

Cam

F8Industries-AdventureWebSized-01-2.jpg

The Carpenter's Bluff Bridge in Grayson County Texas that spans the Red River. It is being closed soon and a modern bridge being put in its place. This was originally a train bridge with a carriage shelf (the wooden structure on the left). This rail line was removed a simple road bed put down on the now single lane bridge for traffic crossing between Texas and Oklahoma.

A couple from some recent trips.

Cadiz Road
IMG_1446.jpg

Along 1N09/San Bernardino National Forest.
IMG_1419.jpg

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1426.jpg

Middle Control Road/San Bernardino National Forest
IMG_1429.jpg

Sorry, my previous reply is worthless without a similar shot. ;)

F8Industries-MarkedForWeb-01-15.jpg

This Plymouth was located in an old abandoned gas station and garage in a town so small in central Texas that it isn't on most maps. My buddy and I had driven out to shoot the abandoned feed store across the street and hadn't planned on such a technical shot, but luckily we were able to pool four speedlights between the two of us and radio triggers from our cases. This would have been better if we had brought our actual strobes with modifiers. It goes back to a photography concept that I use for landscape shots: "turn around." Sometimes what you really are looking for is behind you and not the shot you planned.

Sorry, my previous reply is worthless without a similar shot. ;)
...and one of my favorites too. :thumbsup

I need to get on the strobe bandwagon. Everything I do presently is natural light, usually not even with reflectors. So many of the places I've gone would have that many more possibilities if I knew how to throw some light or color into them...especially at night.

Sometimes what you really are looking for is behind you and not the shot you planned.

This is one of the things I live by whenever im out as well. People can get so entranced by what's in front of them that they forget what they just went through to get there.

Plus you always want to check your six.

...and one of my favorites too. :thumbsup

I need to get on the strobe bandwagon. Everything I do presently is natural light, usually not even with reflectors. So many of the places I've gone would have that many more possibilities if I knew how to throw some light or color into them...especially at night.

Thank you!

What we do is all about light, running a handful of speedlights or some battery pack strobes can make a huge difference. I have a business photographing portraits and weddings, so I live and die by good lighting (especially weddings), but I bring my pelican of speedlights and radio triggers with me on camping trips and adventures (especially after the lesson from the above shot). Also in that pelican case is a CamRanger, batteries, some lighting posts mounts that I can clamp to stuff (like tripod legs), and small stands for the speedlights. I don't always use everything, but I have used all in that box of kit for various shots while camping.

This shot is an example, it is actually a self portrait while sitting in The Window at Big Bend National Park. The photograph is a self portrait shot with a Nikon D800, Sigma 24-70, f/18, ISO 800, 1/320. The camera is on a tripod and is being controlled remotely via a CamRanger with the iPad in my lap. I have to SB-700 speedlights clamped on the legs of the tripod, with diffusers and radio triggers. That's the only way to get my back and the background to be a similar exposure value without stacking exposures.

F8Industries-AdventureWebSized-01-4.jpg

Point being, even with only a single Speedlight and diffuser, your photography world opens up to possibilities, challenges and a new way of imaging your creativity that wasn't possible before. It's worth the money. I wouldn't get wrapped up in guide numbers and the technical side of the lighting too soon, it can be a little overwhelming at first. Run TTL and adjust the exposure of your background using a combination of your ISO and aperture. You'll get the hang of the basics quickly with your strong background in photography then before you know it you'll hold an AA master class on the topic. :)

I know that Lake McDonald looks nothing like this right now, but I really want to go back. At least we'll be heading out to Big Bend in a couple of days!

F8Industries-AdventureWebSized-31.jpg

Back
Top Bottom