Tiny Rig Co.

ARB Heavy Duty Air Compressor Question

Because the tank is way down the want list. The want list comes after the need list which is also long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, so... the age old dilemma... "desirements" versus requirements.
I believe in a hierarchy of needs versus wants when I'm building my truck. Currently the compressor in my truck was a need and it is fully functional and accomplishing a goal that I needed it to do, fill my tires. The additional accessory of having a tank is a want, it will definitely be a nice add on however it is not needed. There are other things that need to be done first. [emoji16][emoji106]

Ah, when you referenced the pressure switch I thought you were adding it for the tank. Sorry, I misunderstood.

Ah, when you referenced the pressure switch I thought you were adding it for the tank. Sorry, I misunderstood.
That makes sense, however to use the ARB supplied wiring harness you have to use their supplied pressure switch and there is only one 1/4 inch NPT fitting when I need two

I was going to point you to Kilby Ent., as that is where I bought all the components for my onboard air system. Looks like they have changed hands, and are now CU Offroad. They seem to only sell vehicle specific complete kits.

You might look at their site anyway for ideas.

cuoffroad.com

They used to have an awesome universal coupler, the same cap that was posted above from McMaster, as well as a great schematic for an OBA system that was a great reference for building your own. But... oh well. Maybe they sourced their parts from McMaster. I will look into it.

Edit:. Looks like McMaster sells the same push on barbed fittings that Kilby sold. Good to know, as I am about to modify my system to add a second coupler to the front of the truck.

Last edited:
I'm looking at getting the ARB OBA as well and incorporating an air tank. Why is the ARB 1 gallon tank 3 times the cost of other tanks????

I'm looking at getting the ARB OBA as well and incorporating an air tank. Why is the ARB 1 gallon tank 3 times the cost of other tanks????
The ARB tank is carved from the vertebrae of a Woolly Mammoth. Very rare.

Or just maybe it's aluminum and the only one available in that size, but most importantly, they are Tony R. Brown's company and he can do what he wants, mate.

Brett, dunno if you saw my instagram post about the ARB inflator with the built in gauge, but I replaced mine with a Matco Tools inflator after finding out the gauge on the ARB was inaccurate. What the gauge showed as 35 PSI was actually 25. And when I filled them up to an actual 35, the gauge showed 40 PSI. Ran across the exact same readings with @Borrego60 when he aired up with his ARB inflator, so he ended up using my new one to inflate to the correct PSI. I don't trust their stuff anymore.

Brett, dunno if you saw my instagram post about the ARB inflator with the built in gauge, but I replaced mine with a Matco Tools inflator after finding out the gauge on the ARB was inaccurate. What the gauge showed as 35 PSI was actually 25. And when I filled them up to an actual 35, the gauge showed 40 PSI. Ran across the exact same readings with @Borrego60 when he aired up with his ARB inflator, so he ended up using my new one to inflate to the correct PSI. I don't trust their stuff anymore.
My same experience.

Only my compressor is ARB. My inflator and gauge are powertank but I will say we should still do a side by side comparison to see how they both rate? Not like a micrometer where I can test zero and 1" for accuracy easily enough.

Brent I also purchased the same tire inflator from ARB , I chucked it. It was reading 20psi with nothing attached to it after about a year of use. I purchased the same Matco inflator Mitch has and I love it. Well made just picking it up you get the sense it will last for a long time. I also use a universal female air chuck, fits all sizes of male connectors.

Last edited:
AT Overland Equipment
Back
Top Bottom