Kindle tablet sale today, $33. I'm failing to resist

Well, sort of, and not really,...yet. I have it in hand, but the only way it does anything at all is with a wifi connection. My home computer hookup in a hard wired modem. I tried the connecting wire from the charger but it wasn't capable of making the connection for the net, just power and perhaps downloading pictures from the tablet. Have taken some pics with it though. The times Ive been to town I didnt have time to find a signal and mess with it.

Interesting. How is the functionality of it? Easy to navigate? How fast is it able to perform? I really like the price of going this route for my navigation system. I bought gaia gps for my iphone and I love it. Just trying to figure out what tablet to get for my vehicle mount. I'm trying to avoid paying $400 for a tablet that will more than likely live in my truck. The fire tablet paired with a gps receiver such as the Dual xgps for offline navigation would be my goal here. Any input on that idea?

I hated them. I tried both the Fire Tablet and Fire TV two months ago and ended up sending them both back. Terrible hardware and interface. Let's just say they took an android product and made it worse to push their own services. Yes, it's cheap, but it's one of the best cases of getting what you pay for. I was trying to branch out from Apple and was very disappointed. Compared to a galaxy tab.

Couldn't justify the waste of time on the products. My big gripe with the tablet, slow, very slow. Which is painfully obvious if you have an iPad in your house. The touch sensitivity is flawed. Sometimes registering taps, I didn't make or not registering them at all. Screen quality is cheap, not very sharp, poor color spectrum. And that terrible FireOS. I just didn't find it very intuitive. Difficult to navigate. Poor UX overall.

The big attraction to the product is the price. But don't think you're getting iPad or even Samsung quality at that price. You're getting a Walmart tablet.

Interesting. How is the functionality of it? Easy to navigate? How fast is it able to perform? I really like the price of going this route for my navigation system. I bought gaia gps for my iphone and I love it. Just trying to figure out what tablet to get for my vehicle mount. I'm trying to avoid paying $400 for a tablet that will more than likely live in my truck. The fire tablet paired with a gps receiver such as the Dual xgps for offline navigation would be my goal here. Any input on that idea?

So far I cant do much with it without a connection. It didn't come with instructions, youre supposed to get them online, but without a wifi signal I cant do anything so far. About all Ive done is figure out how to take pics and turn off all the automatic downloads.

I bought it as a reader as much as anything, and perhaps as a handy small movie watcher and net cruiser. Guys on another forum had fair comments about them, but as BA said above, have realistic expectations of it. I, for one, am not into electronic devices enough to justify spending what others may feel happy spending. If the functionality is scaled to the price, that's OK with me. I may never know what an Ipad will do, as I wont likely ever spend that much on that type of device. BTW, I got the next step up, the $60 one with more battery, memory and definition. It takes pictures also, which I haven't checked for clarity, but my regular camera has cratered, and the camera in my phone is pretty carpy, so I'm happy I now have a functional camera, such as it is. Phones are another thing I cant find justification to spend real money on either, mine are usually other peoples old phones they give me for free, which I tend to use til they die. Tech gadgets are fun and interesting, just not anything I value enough to spend a lot on if functional examples are around for less. I guess some find that hard to fathom, but in the same line of thought, I find it hard to believe many will buy the cheapest gun, ammo, and holster, and call it good. Another way of saying it is, looking at gadgets, Id rather spend the money on other things more important to me (like perhaps a newer laptop). :D

Interesting that you mentioned leaving it in your truck. It occurred to me I could leave this in the truck and have a net connection handy when away from home (no, I don't have a smart phone), and it isn't so pricey id worry too much about it.

I'm not a Luddite, but I'm also just not that into electronics and being connected all the time. People laugh at me because much of the time if my phone rings I just look at it and ignore it til later.

When I get time with a signal to get the thing figured out, I'll report back.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom