2003 Hybrid Mercury Mariner AWD

Why not?

I come from a rockcrawling background where you either drove a Jeep or a Toyota, (or a custom buggy) period. I was dazzled and amazed with all of the random vehicles in the adventure travel world and how capable they were in their own right. No reason why that vehicle shouldn't work just fine. It would make a great second vehicle for Rendezvous events for sure. Might as well shake it down and see how it works for you.

Knew a guy back in the day that went from a built Bronco to a Ford Escape to save on fuel. Ended up building out the Escape and it was able to go everywhere our jeep and Toyota buddies went. There used to be a build thread on fordtruckworld.com but that site went to hell in a hand basket years ago and I can't seem to find it. Cool little platforms.

Bought a 2003 Explorer, last summer, pretty similar vehicle, though mine is part time 4wd, for civilized camping...
IMO, any vehicle can be taken to any level of off road capability... given enough time, work and money... (experiences says that beyond a certain point there's not much original vehicle left though).
had the transfer case out when I had the tranny rebuilt; changing out the AWD 'case for a part time one would provide low range but some research into how the computer reacts and installation of a dash switch would be necessary, along with some drive shaft measuring/building (research twice buy once...).

Haven't taken mine off road (gravel roads and camping spots do not count) yet, but I expect that it will do OK at least until I lift diagonal tires (IFS is not particularly good at wheeling, IMO).
Looking at selectable lockers; the front IFS has few aftermarket drop in options that I have found... (really need to count the front diff cover bolts to conclusively identify the diff).

Next trip to the scrapyard I will be looking for rear tow points/loops...

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom