It's not that I don't like them. They're great tires and perfect out here in the west. That said, I'm moving to IL soon and I think a true all terrain tire (more siping, better rain and snow performance) will be better in this application. Truth be told, the BFG AT is my all time favorite tire so that's weighing on me as well.

There's nothing wrong with Toyo, or Nitto, or even Cooper. I'm just a BFG fan boy :)

I like those wheels better, too, but there is a certain humor that these two posts were back to back.

IMG_1299.PNG

Today I took the truck down to the dealership for some tech help. Since the flatbed conversion the truck has been throwing a series of warnings upon startup - right brake light out, right turn signal out, etc etc.

The truck is looking for incandescent bulbs, and the LED lights don't draw enough power so it thinks the bulbs are burned out. Easy fix at the dealer as they just reconfigured the light settings and the warnings have now gone away :)

I also asked them to reconfigure the tire size settings to reflect the current 37's. I found out that the largest setting available to Ram is for 285's (33 inch tires). So while still better than the 31's it was set for (OEM size), it sounds like I will need to "chip" the truck to be able to set it for 37's. I think it's worth it to be able to see the correct speed and fuel efficiency numbers so I'm researching potential chip mods.

I have a Smarty Jr to adjust for tire size and give it a little oomph plus a mileage bump. If I romp on it, especially uphill, it will belch a little black smoke. Sorry CARB.

Even though they are out of business, H&S tuners are still available. Order through a reputable source, I ordered through Alligator Performance, or you run the risk of getting a Chinese knock off.

I found mine to be a very easy install. Easily adjusts for any tire size, and it will show the adjusted speed on your dash, not just in the display of the tuner.

Best thing about them, if down the road you decide to cut some fat from your exhaust, it will handle that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A wee bit of tire and wheel ADHD going here... I've got a set of old school 17x9 steel wheels on order because I'm about to put some BFG AT KO2's on. I'll be selling the Toyo's and plan on running the steelies until Icon comes out with a 17 inch alloy.

You should have said something I think one of the guys still has a set of the PW rims for sale

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

A wee bit of tire and wheel ADHD going here... I've got a set of old school 17x9 steel wheels on order because I'm about to put some BFG AT KO2's on. I'll be selling the Toyo's and plan on running the steelies until Icon comes out with a 17 inch alloy.

Wow... and I thought I was bad about wheel ADHD. :jump:

If my math is right, a 37" tall tire, 17" wheel leaves 20" of sidewall, split by 2 = 10" between the road and wheel. Man that thing will be like driving a marshmallow. I know my 33" tall tires on a 17" wheel at 40 psi (aired down) was very squishy on my rig.

Wow... and I thought I was bad about wheel ADHD. :jump:

If my math is right, a 37" tall tire, 17" wheel leaves 20" of sidewall, split by 2 = 10" between the road and wheel. Man that thing will be like driving a marshmallow. I know my 33" tall tires on a 17" wheel at 40 psi (aired down) was very squishy on my rig.

I am running 37's on 17" rims. I have been playing with the pressure quite a bit just to get a feel for them, and it is actually more stable than I expected. Certainly gives a plush ride when aired down, but I am already wishing I had the money and gearing to go larger.

Yeah Baby, old school, chrome plated, with a contrasting pin stripe, right out of the George Barris playbook!
Bitch'n

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It turns out that Nitro Gear has 4.30 gears for this truck. As stated earlier (see below) the ideal gearing for 37's would be 4.45 to achieve best results. I think 4.30 is preferable to 4.11 based on the numbers. I could go 4.56 but that would increase RPM's on the highway.

Looking down the road at some mods to enhance mobility, I'm thinking about adding on board air, and lockers.

Up front, the Ram has a 9.25", while the rear receives an 11.5" ring gear both by AAM, American Axle Manufacturing. From the factory, this truck came with 3.42 gears. Many of these trucks came factory with a 3.73 ratio, designed to have a proper run out with a stock size tire (roughly 31"). But as soon as you upgrade to a larger tire, all of a sudden your RPM vs. speed are effected, even causing a disruption of the shift pattern on automatic transmission equipped trucks.

Lets give the example of a 37" tire. By using cross multiplication, we can determine that in order to have the same RPM vs. speed as with the factory tire size, you would want to install a 4.45 gear ratio (3.73/31*37). Unfortunately, in this scenario there is no such thing as a 4.45 ratio, the closest readily available gear set is 4.56. Or, you can also opt to go with a slightly higher ratio of 4.11 that would give a slightly lower RPM vs. speed compared to stock. IMO that might be the best compromise for power band and fuel economy when cruising the interstate.

So 4.11's will get the nod from me when the time comes, with an ARB locker ARB-RD139 in the rear and an ARB-RD197 up front. The ARB twin compressor should do the job for lockers and airing up tires. Recently I was wishing for a way to air up and down as the ride is pretty harsh at 65 psi offroad. I'm also waiting on Icon Alloys to release their new 17 inch wheels for the Ram so I can change them out for more sidewall and better trail-ability over the current 20 inch "bruh" rims.

Gears and dual lockers are going to be a chunk of change so this may be a minute given my recent expenditures so I'll be in the research phase for awhile.

... and decrease fuel economy (going to 4.56). But re-gearing from 4.11 to 4.30 is negligible in terms of performance on 35's. Are you sure 37's on 4.56 gears would increase RPM's?

Back
Top Bottom