2003 Hybrid Mercury Mariner AWD

2006 Hybrid Mercury Mariner AWD

Figured i would post this up. this is my daily driver that im looking to turn into something i can use on easy trails when i dont have to take the whole family as wel as a backup after my truck sells and before i figure out what im going to buy next. It is completely stock right now but im considering going with an Old man EMU leveling kit which is 1.5" which would allow me to run 31" tires.

this is what it looks like right now
2007_mercury_mariner_hybrid_base_brown_in_naugatuck_connecticut_100299695388084909.jpg

stock they have 8" of ground clearance which is about the same as a an outback.

The mariner shares all the same mechanics as the Escape. only main diff is the front clip and a little bit of the interior.

-Raul

Last edited:
Hey Raul:

Interesting project! Many years ago, after my 1984 F-250 4x4 blew up, I rented a Mercury Mountaineer AWD and took it up to Coyote Flats. At one point, we got one of the front tires off the ground. The AWD system directed all of the engine's power to the wheel that was in the air! Dough! We had to jack up that corner of the car, build up the trail underneath that tire with big rocks and then lower the car back down on the newly built up trail so that there was enough weight on that tire to prevent slippage. It was about a two hour delay of game!

Just sayin' be careful where you take the Mariner!

Cam

I'm thinking I may bring this to toys for tots since it will only be me, my 2yr old and my 14yr old. And see if I can't pack small (which is hard for me)

Funny you posted this. I've been reading up on these over the past week or so.

P40400021.jpg
The only bad things I hear from them right now is a lack of 4wd low. And for the hybrids like mine the reverse is pretty weak. I'll be bringing mine to toys for tots. It'd going to be interesting packing all the gear I need in it.

Hey Raul:

Interesting project! Many years ago, after my 1984 F-250 4x4 blew up, I rented a Mercury Mountaineer AWD and took it up to Coyote Flats. At one point, we got one of the front tires off the ground. The AWD system directed all of the engine's power to the wheel that was in the air! Dough! We had to jack up that corner of the car, build up the trail underneath that tire with big rocks and then lower the car back down on the newly built up trail so that there was enough weight on that tire to prevent slippage. It was about a two hour delay of game!

Just sayin' be careful where you take the Mariner!

Cam

By operation, it did exactly what its suppose to which is transfer power to the wheel where slippage is detected. So when one wheel is up in the air it thinks the wheel is slipping rather than provide more power to the wheels that actually have traction. The same happened to me with my Rover Discovery's traction control before I installed the actuator for the difflock which cancels out this feature. On the road, in rain and snow it served its purpose but on the trail its a different story. Although I must admit from owning a couple of Rovers that they are not the most reliable vehicles, some models do have quite a reputation for off highway travel. But who knew that a feature such as the traction control can actually have adverse effects offroad.

Not to say that all traction controls or AWD systems work the same way but I would heed Cam's advice for it would be wise not to mention safe to find out how they do on specific models rather than finding out the hard way.

Case in point, I have an AWD rover in the garage w/ a blown engine that has been a very reliable softroader. I wish I could say the same for its defective engine. Granted it couldn't do everything a regular offroad rig can do due to lack of clearance and low range, its AWD did very well on moderate trails w/o the issues mentioned above. So it really depends on the car maker as to how their AWD system is suppose to work. It was similar to this before Land Rover decommissioned it from competition but also took out the snorkel and winch for "safety"???? reasons according to them :rolleyes:
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Mechanically, an AWD system will transfer power to the spinning wheel. The difference between different traction control systems makes all The difference because the traction control system on a Subaru, for example, will apply brakes to the spinning wheel in order to transfer power back to the wheels that have traction. Not all traction control systems are created equal.

Man there is really nothing aftermarket available for these Lil suv's. Looks like I'll just have to make some like skid plates, bumpers and roof rack. Am I crazy to make a overland rig out of a hybrid Mariner? Probably hahaha. But it doesn't hurt to try right. And it will help me minimize my gear to the bear issentuials because I tend to way over pack.

Mechanically, an AWD system will transfer power to the spinning wheel. The difference between different traction control systems makes all The difference because the traction control system on a Subaru, for example, will apply brakes to the spinning wheel in order to transfer power back to the wheels that have traction. Not all traction control systems are created equal.
that is exactly what these dont do haha. so i guess im stuck to basically no trail that would lift one tire off the road.

I was thinking of building a roof rack for it but lack of time has turned me to look for one i can just buy. I found this on walmarts site and it seems to be good enough: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stingray-Low-Profile-Roof-Rack-Cargo-Storage-Basket/29390228. Ill be adding an awning and lights on it for sure. plus its soo easy to take off that ill be able to remove it when im not going to go out.

I also checked Ram mount to see if they make a bracket and they do. so i will be getting the no drill Ram mount bracket that bolts under the passenger seat and for the time being use the rest of the kit from my truck. They also make a quick disconnect for the base so ill be getting two of those so i can move the whole system between both vehicles. Plus i can remove it and give my wife extra leg room if im not using the tablet.

the purchase i prob wont be able to do before Toys for tots is tires or the 1" lift. ill have to do more research to see what type of tires i can even fit and what would be the best option for this little rig.

-Raul

Did you consider that the weight added to the hybrid vehicle would overwork the "hybrid" and leave you with struggling small engine, trying to keep up. I hate to be dream smasher but there may be a reason there are no aftermarket parts. But did you search for ford escape parts?
Good luck with build I hope you prove me wrong! :)

Did you consider that the weight added to the hybrid vehicle would overwork the "hybrid" and leave you with struggling small engine, trying to keep up. I hate to be dream smasher but there may be a reason there are no aftermarket parts. But did you search for ford escape parts?
Good luck with build I hope you prove me wrong! :)
The engine is a 4cyl so it's not too bad. Remember I'm not thinking of running moab or anything remotely hard. But it will Def get me to the places I normally go that require 4wd. I'm always up to truing something new. If it fails then oh well. And yes I have looked at aftermarket escape stuff but there is very little as well. Looks like I'll just need to do some custom stuff.

I did Schnebly hill road in a Ford cmax while at OVX a couple years ago. You don't need an off roader to see kewl stuff.

Get out there! The most important thing you have is your wits, and they can get you pretty far all by themselves

To give a "Visual" to Mr Leary's state meant...
[video=youtube;ooQRxlChvMw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooQRxlChvMw[/video]

Also see:
[video=youtube;mryGnENTsoI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mryGnENTsoI[/video]

To give a "Visual" to Mr Leary's state meant...
[video=youtube;ooQRxlChvMw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooQRxlChvMw[/video]

Also see:
[video=youtube;mryGnENTsoI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mryGnENTsoI[/video]

sure doesnt give me the warm fuzzy feeling haha. lets just hope i never get into a situation where ill get stuck.. and if i do hopefully im weeling with people that can help me get out. That being said. this lil guy will only be for basically gravel roads with little to no real "Offroad" situations.

I've got a 2006 Escape and I'm thinking about doing the same thing. I know the Escape is no where near ideal, but I'm hoping that some light mods could make it a nice entry level adventure vehicle. Specifically, I'm hoping there are places to explore in the mountains of NC/East TN that aren't too gnarly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a 2006 Escape and I'm thinking about doing the same thing. I know the Escape is no where near ideal, but I'm hoping that some light mods could make it a nice entry level adventure vehicle. Specifically, I'm hoping there are places to explore in the mountains of NC/East TN that aren't too gnarly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All that matters is that you get out. I see way too many people concerned about what they drive and modding it and never end up going on adventures..... I say drive it, learn its limits and have fun.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom