Looking down the road at some mods to enhance mobility, I'm thinking about adding on board air, and lockers.

Up front, the Ram has a 9.25", while the rear receives an 11.5" ring gear both by AAM, American Axle Manufacturing. From the factory, this truck came with 3.42 gears. Many of these trucks came factory with a 3.73 ratio, designed to have a proper run out with a stock size tire (roughly 31"). But as soon as you upgrade to a larger tire, all of a sudden your RPM vs. speed are effected, even causing a disruption of the shift pattern on automatic transmission equipped trucks.

Lets give the example of a 37" tire. By using cross multiplication, we can determine that in order to have the same RPM vs. speed as with the factory tire size, you would want to install a 4.45 gear ratio (3.73/31*37). Unfortunately, in this scenario there is no such thing as a 4.45 ratio, the closest readily available gear set is 4.56. Or, you can also opt to go with a slightly higher ratio of 4.11 that would give a slightly lower RPM vs. speed compared to stock. IMO that might be the best compromise for power band and fuel economy when cruising the interstate.

So 4.11's will get the nod from me when the time comes, with an ARB locker ARB-RD139 in the rear and an ARB-RD197 up front. The ARB twin compressor should do the job for lockers and airing up tires. Recently I was wishing for a way to air up and down as the ride is pretty harsh at 65 psi offroad. I'm also waiting on Icon Alloys to release their new 17 inch wheels for the Ram so I can change them out for more sidewall and better trail-ability over the current 20 inch "bruh" rims.

Gears and dual lockers are going to be a chunk of change so this may be a minute given my recent expenditures so I'll be in the research phase for awhile.

I just changed gears on my Tacoma. Not sure for the Ram, but figure at least $1000 per axle.

I just changed gears on my Tacoma. Not sure for the Ram, but figure at least $1000 per axle.
Mine was about $1.5k an axle with the ARB's plumbed and solid spacers instead of crush washers.

Recently I was wishing for a way to air up and down as the ride is pretty harsh at 65 psi offroad.

Yep, big difference. I ran 60-65 street pressure and 40 for the dirt. Made a huge difference in ride quality. Did a few jaunts down pavement (going between trails) at 40 psi and it feels like a marshmallow. :D

I've run my truck tires as low as 25PSI on the pavement for 30 miles or so when connecting the dots on the map.

Last edited:
Looking at Yukon as well for lockers, I hear good things about their Zip Locker.

Conveniently they make gears as well and their warranty is amazing.

My mechanic and others said to steer clear of Yukon. Good warranty, but poor quality. The guy at Pro Gear in SD said that he has seen them fail on the test drive. Nitro or a US made brand (Moser/US Gear) for you would be better. A great warranty still means the work has to be redone. Apparently, Nitro has better hardening/finishing processes.

Call Pro Gear and see what they recommend.

Last edited:
I had Yukon gear ring and pinion in my old yj and they held up fine, but that was probably 10 years ago I had the ring and pinion swapped... I too have heard Yukon quality has gone down since then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Out with the old Icon Shields and in with the new Icon Alphas

IMG_7499.JPG

IMG_7491.JPG

I like those wheels much more than the previous. Are they the same size for now?

Back
Top Bottom