Dave's Four Wheel Camper Flatbed Project: Zephyrus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's some numbers:

2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins Turbo Diesel, Big Horn Package, $58,500
2016 FWC Hawk Flatbed, fully optioned, $36,500
AT Overland custom aluminum flatbed tray w/Fiberthane storage boxes, $8,000

Truck and camper with tray = $103,000

Icon Vehicle Dynamics Stage 4 suspension (2.5 inch lift), airbags, coil spacers etc, $4,300
Icon Alloys Shield wheels, $1,200
Toyo RT 37's with TPMS, mount/balance/warranty etc from America's Tire, $2,300
Rigid lighting, $3,000
White Knuckle Offroad Products Rock Sliders (HD), $1200
Buckstop "Boss" bumper, $2,500
sPod 4x4 "SE" touchscreen, $750
Warn 16.5 ti winch, synthetic line, accessories, $2,865
AEV snorkel (for safety), $420

Misc Mods = $18,535

Grand total of major items comprising this build to date:

$121,535.00
:eek:
Worth every penny, though, I'm sure!

Took it up to Big Bear and Holcomb Valley last night to meet up with our SoCal crew out on the monthly trail run. Digging the way it drives now but once I got to camp I realized a major deficiency. Not one cup or chalice aboard. And thus I was reduced to using a lowly plastic cup that @sfsmedic had on hand. Sometimes going without drives the imagination.

So there I was. Staring at some unused space in the battery compartment. Today I made version 1.0 of the solution to having readily accessible grog containers onboard at all times. And a nice place to secure keys and wallet or phone inside a locking box.

IMG_6724.JPG

Big thanks to @Trump for the set of awesome rare Snow Peak nesting cups. L :bowdown

As big as the FWC is, I still need to tightly manage what I carry and space is still a concern.

IMG_6725.JPG

Under the sink, I went super simple and grabbed a near perfect size plastic bin. This way rather than having a rats nest of loose items all jammed in there, I can pull the whole rats nest out for inspection or use. This bin carries all the pots and pans, plates and bowls (another nesting set from Snow Peak) and cutting board/knife set. I also store cleaning supplies, wipes, towels and misc kitchen crap here.

IMG_6727.JPG

Dry goods and provisions are still held in my Front Runner and Snow Peak soft packs same as I did in the FlipPac. The storage bins under the dinette easily swallow all of these things. Starboard side gets provisions while the port side is reserved for sleeping gear like pillows, extra sleeping bag etc as well as hygiene gear and shower equipment. I also added a 6 ft carpet runner that covers the center walkway fore and aft that has the added benefit of keeping debris out of my shower pan.

IMG_6729.JPG

IMG_6730.JPG

I also learned today that the Dometic stove disassembles for cleaning. And the burners look to be serviceable/replaceable. It's the little details that make these appliances light years ahead of Atwood and other brands.

IMG_6726.JPG

Took it up to Big Bear and Holcomb Valley last night to meet up with our SoCal crew out on the monthly trail run. Digging the way it drives now but once I got to camp I realized a major deficiency. Not one cup or chalice aboard. And thus I was reduced to using a lowly plastic cup that @sfsmedic had on hand. Sometimes going without drives the imagination.

So there I was. Staring at some unused space in the battery compartment. Today I made version 1.0 of the solution to having readily accessible grog containers onboard at all times. And a nice place to secure keys and wallet or phone inside a locking box.

View attachment 24431

Big thanks to @Trump for the set of awesome rare Snow Peak nesting cups. L :bowdown

As big as the FWC is, I still need to tightly manage what I carry and space is still a concern.

View attachment 24432
Wow I know we discussed you doing this at mrv.. I didn't think you'd get it done so fast! Looking good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

That wasn't just any plastic cup. That was THEEE plastic red cup. If you see that in my hand you know it's time for shenanigans.

That wasn't just any plastic cup. That was THEEE plastic red cup. If you see that in my hand you know it's time for shenanigans.
Agreed.. moreover, when @sfsmedic fills said cup with bacardi and tips it with a splash of dr. Pepper, you know real shenanigans are coming. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Dave.
You may need these steps.
just FYI=brian90744
I just bought a 5 step version of the Step Up steps as I needed a little more height than the dealer thought I would need so I am selling my virtually brand new ( purchased in May) Step Up model 17S-44 folding steps.

These are great steps if, according to the website your height is 33" +/- 3.5" off the ground. They are made from polished aluminum and weigh about 18#'s. The mounting bracket IS included as well.

They sell for $243.88 plus shipping and I am asking $150and we split the shipping which I would guess would be about $20 each.

Here is a link to the manufacturer's website:

http://step-upproducts.com/specs.html

And here is a link showing the stairs:

http://step-upproducts.com/images/s-44-side1.jpg

We are going to Expo East and could meet you there if you are going! I can take some pictures if you are interested but they look exactly like the companies website.
Thanks!

Dave -- first, congrats on an amazing and well thought out build. One question and I searched thru your posts and could not find an answer so apologize up front if I missed it. Given all the suspension modifications you made, why go with the Ram 2500 when a 3500 would have needed less suspension mods? Price, size, weight -- all of the above?

Thanks

Because I hate the factory air ride setup, and I wanted coils.

GAWR is the same between 3500 and 2500 too - it's the same axle. The 2500 is marketed at the 10K lb and under market. So for me it was about the suspension.

One of the advantages of this setup is the ability to "stop and pop" anywhere. Quick access to the amenities or even a nap while on a long road trip is just about 2-3 minutes from parking.

IMG_7583.JPG

Lately, I've been leaving the rear dinette in the bed configuration as this allows "stealth camping" by virtue of the fact that I can climb in there and take a nap without popping the roof up. As a matter of fact, I can access this bed, the fridge and the toilet all with the roof down. The toilet would obviously be cramped overhead by 2 ft but it is possible.

And I discovered a way to turn the bed into a sort of chaise lounge by rearranging the cushions and adding some pillows. I'm posting from here now :D

As a bed:

IMG_7575.JPG

As a lounge:

IMG_7582.JPG

I had a very nice phone conversation today with the owner of Four Wheel Campers, Tom Hanagan. It's really nice to work with a company that's keen to receive, and act on, user input in the evolution of their product line. Lots of cool things going on with FWC and I can imagine that future iterations of their campers are only going to get better and better.

My shipfitters disease is now being studied by the factory :lol

I had a very nice phone conversation today with the owner of Four Wheel Campers, Tom Hanagan. It's really nice to work with a company that's keen to receive, and act on, user input in the evolution of their product line. Lots of cool things going on with FWC and I can imagine that future iterations of their campers are only going to get better and better.

My shipfitters disease is now being studied by the factory :lol

It's evident that they have received the message that the 90's furnishings/upholstery/appliances that are still rampant in the RV industry are no longer welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom