What are you canning this year?

Haggis

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Founding Member
Its that time of year where the harvest is coming in and the pressure canner gets fired up. I love this time of year as glittering jars of canned goodness start to fill up the pantry. So that begs the question as to what your canning this year. Well?

So far we've done some Bread and Butter Pickles...

DSC00179.jpg

And my absolute favorite; Sweet Dill Zucchini Pickles...

DSC00674.jpg
DSC00675.jpg

DSC00676.jpg
DSC00678.jpg

Also about this time of the year we start making room in the freezers for the upcoming hunting season. Any protien getting a bit long in the tooth as far as length of time in the freezer gets pulled out and canned before any freezer burn happens. And with that we did up some wild turkey...

DSC00714.jpg
DSC00719.jpg

And while we were at it we did some canned venison...

DSC00721.jpg

Next for us will be canning up a couple of bushels of apples, probably Ida Reds or Northen Spies, and of course more game once the hunting seasons get rolling along.

We came to the realization that we had way more taters in storage than we could possibly use before they go to pot. So Michelle and I spent the day today peeling some spuds and puttin' 'em some cans. Once peeled and chopped into 1/2" cubes we soaked them in a lemon/water bath (1 cup lemon juice to 1 gallon water) to keep them spuds bright.

DSC00979.jpg

Than it was into some boiling water for 2 minutes, packed into jars and than topped of with boiling water leaving a 1" headspace. Into the pressure canner...

DSC00981.jpg

...for 35 minutes at 11 lbs pressure and you end up with some starchy goodness.

DSC00983.jpg

Canned taters make great camp food. Right out of the can you can mash em'; toss them in a stew or creamy soup or brown them up in a skillet with some sweet onions, peppers and suausage. It's quick, easy and leaves you with very little campsite mess.

I never canned before. It looks like a lot of work, but I guess then your not depending on someone else for your food.

The garden is spilling out an over abundance of tomatoes this year, so our canners are working overtime. So far we've done straight up canned tomatoes, homemade salsa and sphagetti sauce.

image.jpg
image.jpg

You know I love canned deer meat, haven't done it in years.. maybe this year... and now I'm hungry...

Spent the afternoon and evening processing a bushel of Northern Spies for the canner. Spies are one of the best baking and canning apples because of their firm texture and tart taste.

image.jpg

I'm going to be canning all this extra whoop ass that I have been saving up in case I need it next year.
Hope you got a chuckle.

'Whoop Ass' is a spontaneous reaction to provocation. If you've been saving any chances are you ain't got any. ;)

Somewhere along the way I forgot about doing up a couple batches of my favorite canned good...Green Tomato Relish. Take some green tomaters, add some onions and peppers, grind them up, cook it all down an than do a hot bath canning and you'll have the best garnish for burgers and hot sausages.

DSC01852.JPG
DSC01853.JPG
DSC01854.JPG
DSC01860.JPG
DSC01862.JPG
DSC01865.JPG
DSC01866.JPG

Back
Top Bottom