Adventure Pass: what's the current info?

Brett C

Adventurist
Senior Staff
I keep seeing people post up adventure pass this or adventure pass that. I've seen people mention you need them for trail runs etc. I swear I read that the requirement for an adventure pass changed a year or so ago to state that unless you're utilizing improved facilities put out by the park service (I.e. Picnic bench, vault bathroom, etc) that it was no longer needed. Then more recently I swear I read an update even stating that certain elements have to be added to a site to warrant an adventure pass and then only in designated areas that were listed on the update. I can only say I remember reading that stuff but I couldn't say where or if it was legit.

So what I'm asking is the people who know have a discussion and post up here what the actual requirement is for an adventure pass at this point. Let's get the proper info on the board.

This is the most recent article I could find laying out the new rules according to the law suit. Not sure if their in effect yet or not or what.
http://www.modernhiker.com/2016/06/27/where-do-i-need-an-adventure-pass-in-southern-california/

Last edited:
Awesome, now where's my refund + interest?

That explains why the turn-outs just outside several local trailheads are always full when the parking lot is empty. :tumbleweed

Subscribed. Very interesting. It's been a long time since Warren, the ranger, asked me for my adventure pass at my local hot spring.

It seems they are REALLLLLLLLLLY dragging their feet on this one its been like this for a while..Its like they are trying to keep it vague on purpose so everyone just continues buying Adventure Passes.

Meh, I frequent sites that are now free and Adventure Pass required. Might as well pay the $30 for a year pass and not worry about it.

It seems they are REALLLLLLLLLLY dragging their feet on this one its been like this for a while..Its like they are trying to keep it vague on purpose so everyone just continues buying Adventure Passes.
...or we don't buy them and hope for the best!

For me, I'd rather just pay the $30 per year and not worry about it. Heck, last year when I bought one, they were offering them for $25 and you could bout a 2nd one for $5. So I bought 2 and gave one to Raul when we were camping at a yellow post spot last year. I consider part of paying to play.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

You can also purchase an America the Beautiful Interagency Pass for $80 annually, which works in all areas where the Adventure Pass is required, PLUS full access to National Parks...i.e.: Joshua Tree NP, Grand Canyon NP, Death Valley NP, Arches NP, Canyonlands NP.

"America the Beautiful Interagency Passes are also accepted at all locations where the Adventure Pass is required. "

Linky: America the Beautiful Pass/Adventure Pass FAQ

We visited Canyonlands and Arches this year, which would have cost $50 for just those two parks, and since it also comes with a windshield hanger, we now use it as a substitute for the AP and to visit the above listed parks...which is a value.

Just and extra .02 to consider.

I think the big reason I brought this up is I kept seeing people thinking they needed it for trail runs. Which according to what I'm reading, you don't. Only camp areas with improvements. Also that article @BlkWgn posted one of the items listed is security, SECURITY! Huh? Lol. They probably mean an assigned ranger.

I think the big reason I brought this up is I kept seeing people thinking they needed it for trail runs. Which according to what I'm reading, you don't.

Correct!

We used the AP in the past primarily for parking at trailheads while "recreating" (aka: mountain biking).

Sent from Cygnus-X1

I took this question to the SBNFA OHV program and hoped to clarify things, I have 2 responses I will bring here, but neither really clarifies things
The rules changed again 6/16. Here is a link to a f/s page that should clear things up.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/r5/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5208699&width=full

There is still a bunch of confusion about the new regs.

The big change is that the USFS has to provide a free parking area at all trailheads that allow people to park for free and use the backcountry without using any facilities.

The USFS MUST install new signage at all trailheads before starting to write non compliance citations. Very few trailheads have received the new free parking areas and new signage.

One of the areas with the new free parking area and the new signage is the Falls Trailhead in Forest Falls and the interactive map on the link that Dave provided is still wrong that the whole area is a fee area.

falls_zpsqz9rlcgb.jpg

As you can see, even at the Forest Service things are still a bit unclear.

Back
Top Bottom