Voila Specialty Instant Coffee - Review

BlkWgn

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Founding Member
This is a review I did for our Blog FamilyOffTheMap.com

Those of you who know me, know I am all about coffee, and many of you have seen the kit that travels with me. With a cross-country flight and week-long camping trip I was dreading the thought of instant coffee. Luckily I was saved with an opportunity to try Voila Coffee before the Kickstarter Campaign got underway.

20160103_073356.jpg

My coffee kit on top of a Tembo Tusk Skottle
I am a long time coffee drinker. I drink it black, or with sugar, or with flavored cream, espresso, lattes, macchiato, hot, iced, cold brew, I even drink the sludge served on the sound stages at work. It does not really matter what kind of coffee it is as long as it is not instant.

Well, that ban on instant coffee just changed

While Voila IS a form of instant coffee, I want you to forget about that as it does not taste like ANY instant coffee you've ever had. Instead think about the cup you get from the small, non commercial coffee house down the street. Voila (Specialty Instant Coffee) gives you that same great cup, but in a small package that is easy to take with you.

voila-2.jpg

Photo courtesy of Voila Coffee
So what makes Voila so different? They find great craft coffee roasters, purchase small batches of beans that would normally go to waste and brew it to perfection. That is what makes it taste like real brewed coffee, it is actually brewed before it is freeze dried. All you need to do is add water (hot or cold) and enjoy. You can also use milk or hot chocolate, which is one of Paige's (@Blkwgn_wyfee)favorite ways to drink coffee.

screen-shot-2016-08-11-at-2-26-07-pm.png

Roasters partnered with Voila Coffee​

The particular blend I had is the Ethiopia Borboya from 1000 Faces Coffee in Athens Georgia and is described as a Complex coffee with flavors of pomegranate, peach, and blackberries. I am not great at picking out individual flavors, but what I can tell you is that it was a great cup of coffee. Strong, and dark, but not harsh or bitter, nor did it taste burnt, like some other brands. *Cough Starbucks Cough* I made mine in an enamel mug from Treeline Outdoors using approximately 12 oz of water, and it was perfect, no sugar or creamer needed. Of course, you can adjust how strong it is by using more or less water.

img_20160803_133958.jpg

Enjoying a cup along a creek in the @Haggis Clan proving Grounds​

This truly is a game changer in camp coffee, and you have the opportunity to help bring this to market by supporting the Kickstarter Campaign and spreading the word.

Great stuff. I trust your judgement so much I backed their kickstarter...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Cris, did you read the waver when you checked into the Super Secret AAV Eastern Proving Grounds? Probably not as it was late so...

Article 33; Subsection 43.5...

All references to the Super Secret AAV Eastern Proving grounds that are used for promotion of non AAV entities whether it be for social media or commercial marketing reasons shall be subject to an excise fine of $300,000 dollars or the equivalent value amount of home cooked pies*. Failure to pay such fine will lead to constant nagging and juvenile shenanigans until a payment schedule and a down payment are effected.

*Pies must meet Clan Haggis standards and the substitution of store bought pies might lead to the use of a blood eagle against the guilty party.

Please contact a representive of the SSAAVEPG at your earliest convince to arrange your fine payment schedule.

Sincerely

The SSASVEPG Staff

Cris, did you read the waver when you checked into the Super Secret AAV Eastern Proving Grounds? Probably not as it was late so...

All references to the Super Secret AAV Eastern Proving grounds that are used for promotion of non AAV entities whether it be for social media or commercial marketing reasons shall be subject to an excise fine of $300,000 dollars or the equivalent value amount of home cooked pies*. Failure to pay such fine will lead to constant nagging and juvenile shenanigans until a payment schedule and a down payment are effected.

*Pies must meet Clan Haggis standards and the substitution of store bought pies might lead to the use of a blood eagle against the guilty party.

Please contact a representive of the SSASVEPG at your earliest convince to arrange your fine payment schedule.

Sincerely

The SSASVEPG Staff
I will arrange payment of 1 dollar per trip to the Eastern coast so I can pay in person. The pie options while seems the better choice, I have had the honor of sampling the pies used for the standard, cash is the only option

I will arrange payment of 1 dollar per trip to the Eastern coast so I can pay in person. The pie options while seems the better choice, I have had the honor of sampling the pies used for the standard, cash is the only option

Well, it's a start.

Cris,

I checked out the Kickstarter, twice, and I had trouble figuring out the pricing. It seemed like $4-$5/ cup. Maybe I missed something somewhere. Can you enlighten me?

-Doug

Cris,

I checked out the Kickstarter, twice, and I had trouble figuring out the pricing. It seemed like $4-$5/ cup. Maybe I missed something somewhere. Can you enlighten me?

-Doug

According to an instagram messenger conversation I had with the owner, the kickstarter pricing does not reflect the market price. This is simply to get things off the ground. Pricing should be approx $6 per box (5 packs in a box) Making it about $1.20 for a 12oz cup which is about the same price range as something like Starbucks Via

I just checked the website and it doesn't appear to be available yet. Any information on when they will be taking orders?

-Andy

I just checked the website and it doesn't appear to be available yet. Any information on when they will be taking orders?

-Andy

I asked them about this about a week ago. Just about all of the Kickstarter orders has been delivered and they have ordered a larger version of the machine they use. They are expecting delivery of the machine in a couple of weeks so they can ramp up production. Shooting for a full release of individual sales and subscription service by November.

On a side note, I enjoyed some in Monache last week.

20170703_090648-01.jpeg
20170704_082654-01.jpeg

Please contact a representive of the SSAAVEPG at your earliest convince to arrange your fine payment schedule.

Sincerely

The SSASVEPG Staff

This reminds me, did @Dave drop off my first payment when he swung by last week?

Back
Top Bottom