MONTANA

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
Crowd Sourced! Share information and ask specific questions about this state here.

This section is focused on documenting the following:
  • Adventure Opportunities & Destinations
  • Trails
  • Campsites
  • Watercraft Put-Ins/Take-Outs
  • Local Info, Highlights & Lore
  • Local Regulations & Local Insight

IMG_0264.JPG

Let me dig into the cob webs of my memory bank.
I was born and raised in the NW corner on Montana.
Favorite spots were.....
The Jewel Basin- hiking and fishing alpine lakes (Birch was my favorite)
Glacier Nation Park (my back yard) - hiking, fishing, amazing scenery
Thompson Lakes area- dispersed camping, logging roads, fishing
North Fork Flathead River - white water rafting, fishing, water based camping trips
Hungry Horse Reservoir - endless logging roads, dispersed camping, fishing, hiking
Bob Marshal Wilderness - horse back camping trips, hiking, fishing, dispersed camping
Swan Valley - canoeing, fishing, hiking, logging roads, dispersed camping

These are just a few things we did as kids and I miss this area every day.
If planning a trip to this area, don't overlook these areas.

IMG_0017.JPG
IMG_5527.JPG
IMG_5475.JPG
IMG_5477.JPG
IMG_5479.JPG
IMG_5480.JPG
IMG_5481.JPG
IMG_5482.JPG
IMG_5485.JPG
IMG_5486.JPG
Glacier National Park has always been one of my designated destinations whenever I do one of my 2.5 month road trips. Each year I've tried to mix it up as to my approach to the park. Coming from the south there are basically a few options depending on which side of the park you want to visit. My angle of attack was from Missoula towards the west entrance. One way would be to follow 93/200 north of Missoula to Polson and then either continue on 93 along Flathead Lake to Kalispell, Whitefish and Columbia Falls before getting to Hungry Horse & the West Glacier entrance. This first way is the quickest but most traveled direction.
The second route is to take Mt.35 W and N along the eastern side of Flathead Lake where you can find two state parks; Finley Point and Yellow Bay before getting to Bigfork before continuing up 206 to Columbia Falls and the west entrance. This way is more relaxed and scenic. There are some great fruit tree orchards along this route and some beautiful homes along the lakes edge.
A third direction would be to hop on 200 W just slightly south of Missoula at the small town of Bonner and pick up Mt. 83 at Clearwater Junction N towards Seeley Lake where it eventually ends in Bigfork. This direction will take you along the western edge of the Swan Range and the eastern edge of the Mission Range through Lolo and Flathead national forests. There are an ample amount of campgrounds along this route including both 12 designated and (?) # dispersed NF camping spots. Seeley Lake itself is both gorgeous and fun to fish. It has CG's on both sides of the lake. Just before reaching Bigfork on 83 you will drive along the western edge of Swan Lake; another beautiful area. This last trip I stayed at Lake Inez in between Seeley and Swan lakes, which was dispersed (free) but with fire ring and picnic table. There are only 2-3 spots here. The one I had overlooking the lake was stunning!

On this last trip I followed the initial way by taking 93/200 N to just before the small area of Arlee and turning east onto Jocko Rd (paved) to Jocko Canyon Rd (gravel) which takes you along the Jocko River through The Mission Mountains Tribal Wilderness, Flathead Indian Reservation, Lolo NF and lots of off road adventures just west of Seeley Lake. Where, you can access 83 N towards Bigfoot. The camping on the reservation is sparse and expensive but the reservation ends at Jocko Lakes setting you into Lolo NF. These first photos are from along Jocko Canyon Rd and some interesting water works.

Last edited:
IMG_5639.JPG
IMG_5637.JPG
IMG_5636.JPG
IMG_5631.JPG
IMG_5635.JPG
IMG_5642.JPG
IMG_5641.JPG
Hungry Horse Reservoir and dam. I haven't explored this area, except around the dam, but I hear it's got a lot of nice camping, fishing and off road adventures.

Hungry Horse Dam is an arch dam on the South Fork Flathead River in the Rocky Mountains of the U.S. state of Montana. Wikipedia
Height: 564′

Campgrounds, dispersed, cabins etc.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/flathead/recreation/camping-cabins

OHV Trail riding maps
https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/flathead/recreation/ohv/?recid=66162&actid=93

Last edited:
Whenever I go to Glacier I try to make reservations at Fish Creek CG and use that as base camp while I do various day hikes on the west side. Fish Creek is the only NP CG on the west side that has unlimited hot showers and they're only in A-loop. The park used to make it one token a day for those staying in Fish Creek but they're no longer doing tokens. In East Glacier ther are two showers at Many Glacier behind the Lodge that do cost $$ but are nice and hot. Only two stalls; Men's and Women's. that's the only CG showers in the whole park. Fish Creek also is set on the shores of Lake MacDonald where there's a boat launch and crystal clear waters. Here are a few pictures from the Going to the Sun Road heading up to Ladybird Falls and Logan Pass.
IMG_5647.JPG
IMG_5662.JPG
IMG_5663.JPG
IMG_5666.JPG
IMG_5675.JPG
IMG_5673.JPG
IMG_5676.JPG

IMG_5706.JPG
IMG_5681.JPG
IMG_5702.JPG
IMG_5691.JPG
IMG_5685.JPG
IMG_5694.JPG
IMG_5701.JPG
IMG_5704.JPG
IMG_5705.JPG
IMG_5575.JPG
I didn't get a ticket but I did get a "talking to" from a ranger about driving up to Logan pass pulling my Expedition trailer with my overhanging kayak and being a foot or two over limited length of vehicles allowed to drive to the pass. Parking is limited unless you're driving the red tour buses. Luckily I was heading east at that point because I wasn't allowed to drive back down to west Glacier. If they had any idea....A word to the wise, you may get a ticket if you're too long. It wasn't posted well and I didn't read the paper it was in ...ooops...if you are too long, then you're made to drive along the southern edge of the park around to east Glacier. If you arrive too early, Logan Pass made still be snowed in. I've been lucky on my last three visits to the park that it was opened. You have to hike about 3 miles through steep snowfields to get to Hidden Lake . This is a spectacular hike and well worth it! Numerous times I've seen Mountain Goats, Hoary Marmots, Pikas, Eagles, Snowdragons and Chipmunks on this hike. At the top of the hike you'll find remnants of an ancient sea floor at an elevation of 8,000'. It is forbidden to skip this hike!

Camping just past Mammoth Montana in the Tobacco Root Mountains in the Beaverhead Deerlodge NF off NFS road 107. Absolutely magnificent country. Can be found on page 93 section 9-H in the Benchmark road and recreation atlas. Take I-90 south from Butte Montana turn south on 359 towards Harrison turn onto South Boulder rd and follow South Boulder River up NFSR 107 past tiny hamlet mountain town of Mammoth. Excellent backcountry dispersed camping. Phenomenal views, scenery and wildlife. Great ATV , dual sport and 4x4 opportunities.
The town of Mammoth had at one time a small Dam and from there ran wooden slat pipes wrapped with wire down the valley to the town center. It was an early pioneer mining town still inhabited.

IMG_5416.JPG
IMG_5408.JPG
IMG_5411.JPG
IMG_5414.JPG
IMG_5393.JPG
IMG_5387.JPG
IMG_5382.JPG
IMG_5380.JPG
IMG_5376.JPG
IMG_5375.JPG
IMG_5363.JPG
IMG_5358.JPG
IMG_5367.JPG
IMG_5364.JPG

Last edited:
Bowman Lake is in my profile pic ;)

Can't wait to get back there in the late spring when the pass opens up. So much more to explore.
I've been to Bowman and Kintla on a number of occasions. There's some great Off road country up past Polebridge on 114 or Trail Creek Rd which will take you all the way into Idaho. If you want some extra wheelin pick up 114A but I'd check road conditions first with the forest service. 114A will also put you right along the border with British Columbia. Saw a beautiful wolf there last time. I've driven 114through the Kootenai NF twice on separate trips. Stunning scenery!
IMG_1091.JPG
IMG_1086.JPG
IMG_1073.JPG
IMG_1060.JPG
IMG_1056.JPG
IMG_2537.JPG
IMG_0994.JPG

Back
Top Bottom