Ground tents... An open ended discussion

The Shiftpod is almost a direct copy of the Pelsue Ground tent used by many utility companies. It is a great design and very durable. The pelsues don't have a floor, but occasionally there is a great deal for one on eBay.

Screenshot_20160904-160438.png
I have a huge 12 person tent from Ozark Trails. I call it the Taj MAh Hall tent. It has 3 rooms with dividers. I can set it up in about 5-10 mins depending on how motivated I am. Have had it for about 6 years now. LOVE it. Definately not a light weight tent, but for a family of 6 (4 of which are crazy little boys) it provides ample space. The boys all sleep in 1 room. My girl and I sleep in the main room and the 3rd room acts as the restroom.
I also have a small Coleman 2 person that works great for solo or when it's just my girl and i. Thats my go to for backpacking as well. fairly light weight. I made stuff sacks for it so i can split it up through my pack.

Last edited:
After much deliberation and then realizing mrv was fast approaching I needed to do something. I am saving my money for a shiftpod but it's not in the cards before mrv so I picked up a coleman steel creek fast pitch 6 person tent off of amazon. Had good reviews and was priced decently. . It should serve just fine until I can save my money for the shiftpod.

c0eb82899e71e861e31b5a36aa9a396d.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I have a pretty big group, we all stick in one tent normally so last year I bought a Eureka Silver Canyon 6, this past trip to the 'Daks we were treated with nice weather until the last day and then the first day we went to Sagurities NY and were treated with our campground being evacuated and the promise of close to 50 mph winds, tons of lightning and pouring rain. Not a drop in the tent! Well worth the money. So far I'm a very happy man. My first Eureka purchase.

After much deliberation and then realizing mrv was fast approaching I needed to do something. I am saving my money for a shiftpod but it's not in the cards before mrv so I picked up a coleman steel creek fast pitch 6 person tent off of amazon. Had good reviews and was priced decently. . It should serve just fine until I can save my money for the shiftpod.

c0eb82899e71e861e31b5a36aa9a396d.jpg

So, I got my tent finally.. I wanted to put it up to see how it was, but sadly I don't have enough space on my property to get it erected, so it will have to wait until tomorrow morning when I can get to my inlaws house to try out getting the tent up. I unrolled it and I am very impressed with the quality thus far.

Ok so I got a chance to head to my inlaws and set up the new coleman steel creek 6 tent. Directions left a lot to be desired, but as we all know, any man worth his salt doesn't need no stinking directions. Got the tent setup in about 8 minutes by myself, and the rainfly took another 2 or 3 minutes. Initial impression is this will be a decent ground tent with plenty of room for the family. Durability is yet to be seen....
29c7dcdc680d9d119e09fa048445bd45.jpg

c3e7758992365ee4bd55f742115482cc.jpg

8f63665743b385df49bb499c73c13b7c.jpg

Scott

Last edited:
Me: "My name is John, and I am a recovering 'tent-aholic'."

AAV Forum: "Hi John, thanks for sharing..."

My love affair (addiction) with tents began when I was an 8 y/o Cub Scout, and my dad and I slept in the backyard in my first tent (plastic tube with one paracord run through the top and four corner rocks) that served a sum total of one nights restless sleep.

I was hooked.

Many years later, resting peacefully in my garage (adventure closet) are three tents that have served us well in the casual pursuit of that restless nights sleep from back in 1973...

First, I'll cover our most recent acquisition, the Mountain Hardware Trango 3.

This was purchased in exchange for our Big Agnes Flying Diamond 4, which I will cover later in this post. The MHT3 was researched and acquired after having camped in the BAFD4 for just about 18 months. More on that later.

The main purpose for the MHT3 was to find a true four season tent that could withstand the winds of the desert we so often camp in. During our trip to Death Valley in November of 2015, I witnessed the BAFD4 fold over during one such desert howl. The higher profile, even with full guy lines taut and staked did not provide us with the ultimate wind protection needed to slumber successfully out of doors.

IMG_2215.jpg

IMG_2173.jpg

IMG_2175.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg

Things I like about the Mountain Hardware Trango 3:

-plenty of space for two adults, with some gear
-lots of stow pockets above, and on the sides of the tent.
-8 ground stake locations...very secure
-carbiner style tent clips, which secure poles to the body of the tent, but also allow for proper "slippage/adjustment"
-solid construction...scud missles would bounce off the rain fly IMHO
-front and rear vestibule (with rain fly)
-stout and sharp tent stakes
-lower profile for inclement weather
-rain tested in Sedona, AZ, spring 2016...3 hour sustained down pour (not SoCal rain...) and completely dry inside
-adjustable fly tabs...allows for rain fly tweaking after set up, to get rid of all the wrinkles Mr. OCD camper...yeah, that's me.
-aircraft quality tent poles...these things are down right sexy...anodized orange and super light to compensate for the thick rubber rain fly
-the MH logo...nothing screams "Yeah, I dropped 8 Benjamins on a GROUND TENT" like that little digitized nut.

Things I don't like about the Mountain Hardware Trango 3:

-this sucker is heavy...just over 9 lbs.! You pay a penalty for all of the 4 season protection...
-I feel like I'm camping in a traffic cone...
-stout and sharp tent stakes...did I mention sharp? I actually use vice grip plyers to remove from the ground during my strike session...pass the Band Aids please.
-dropping 8 Benjamins on a GROUND TENT
-During our fourth camp session, the front door zip began to drag/stick, which was addressed with application of Chap Stik...good so far, but this was the warranty issue we had with the Big Agnes. Stay tuned...

This is a progressive post that I will update with the other ground tents in the current quiver.

Coming soon...the REI Taj 3, and Coleman 3 person that cost me less than three Andy Jacksons at B5...

EDIT 7/14/17: new photos direct upload/deleting PB links

Last edited:
Nice review.. I've always been intrigued by the mountain hardware units... can you tell me about how long the tent takes to set up?

Nice review.. I've always been intrigued by the mountain hardware units... can you tell me about how long the tent takes to set up?

Coffee: 10 minutes with two people...w/pancakes, add 5 minutes.

Sent from Cygnus-X1

^^^^I don't know 13 other people that would be willing to spend a night in the same tent with me!

My wife and I used a Marmot Limestone 4 for a couple of years, and last year after switching from sleeping pads to cots (big cots) we moved up to a Limestone 6 for a little more interior room. Through many nights of camping in high winds, heavy rain and even some snow they have both been great for us, and I highly recommend Marmot to anyone who's looking for a new ground tent. The 6 has two vestibules, so even in the rain we have a place to cook. The 4 has one vestibule, but its more than enough for me when I solo camp.

IMG_4611.JPG

IMG_6353.JPG

Ok so I got a chance to head to my inlaws and set up the new coleman steel creek 6 tent. Directions left a lot to be desired, but as we all know, any man worth his salt doesn't need no stinking directions. Got the tent setup in about 8 minutes by myself, and the rainfly took another 2 or 3 minutes. Initial impression is this will be a decent ground tent with plenty of room for the family. Durability is yet to be seen....
29c7dcdc680d9d119e09fa048445bd45.jpg

c3e7758992365ee4bd55f742115482cc.jpg

8f63665743b385df49bb499c73c13b7c.jpg

Scott

A family was in the campsite next to us last summer at Shenandoah NP with a Steel Creek and it seemed to hold up fine in a pretty rough thunderstorm that rolled through.

Back
Top Bottom