Airstream or CampLite

wesel123

Adventurist
Founding Member
Hey all,

Unfortunately we have moved away from deep back country camping. Mainly due to the project I'm managing here at LAX. Were are left with 2 or 3 day excursions every 2 or 3 months.

About 6 months ago we bought a brand new 14ft Jayco Baja trailer to see if we'd like the "RV" experience. As much as this pains me to say we kinda liked it. We found that setting up the trailer and leaving it to go explore was super convenient and midnight old man bathroom runs were awesome when you only have to travel a few feet.

That being said this trailer is everything we need and want except we found on a recent outing that it will not sleep 4 comfortably. And we knew that this was an inexpensive way to make sure we liked the RV style of travel. So we have decided to get one of 2 trailers. The first being the Airstream Sport 22FB and the second being the Livin Lite\CampLite 16FBS.

The reason behind the Airstream is that we just plain and simple love the look, the nostalgia, the build quality, etc. BUT the price tag is up there, even for used units. By the By this is the Wife's first choice (I think you'all know where this is going).

The CampLite is a nice little trailer, 100% built of Aluminum and they have an Off road Package (fire roads only). But the interior is very spartan and industrial. Both units have the exact same amenity and features (ala black tank flush, large tanks, stand alone toilet and shower,), but a 10K price difference. The Airstream being around $45K and the the Camp Lite being around $30K.

As I said above the boss love the Airstream and only likes the Camp Lite but the cost is a huge factor, but so is resale. I do not tend to keep things very long except my dogs, my guns and my wife......lol......yes in that order.

Any thoughts folks?

I wish it was that easy. Our daughter is only 10 and her friends are in that same age range. No way in heck are they sleeping outside away from me.

I love the livin lite stuff, but if you are not going to keep it very long I would go with a used airstream. It will hold it's value as you mentioned and there will always be a market for it. Also if you do keep it it will last forever. Only risk is your wife may never be willing to step back down to a lower level of camper.

If the Airstream means you'll get out more often due to having the comfort your family wants, it's worth the extra cost. We're not getting any younger so that comfort will translate to more enjoyable experiences for the years to come.

Airstreams were never made for any off pavement travel. If you really want an airstream join an airstream forum or two and see what you will be getting into before you buy one.

Au contraire my friend...the founder of Air Stream Wally Byam dragged his all over the world.

http://homerstravels12.blogspot.com/2012/09/baker-city-orwally-byam.html

I do realize that the newer ones are for sure not as well built (Thor has been building them for over 25 years and its known that they are a cost cutting company). Again I have ZERO desire to drag a $50K trailer down the Mojave Trail, I do not suffer form delusions of grandeur. I just want to be able to drive down a fire trail or two to get to a campground.

I did take your advice and plowed through a ton of posts on the main Airstream forum and found great reads on taking the Airstreams offroad. Interesting enough, I found a lot of folks on that same forum talking about how much they liked the Livin Lites.

Wife and I spent a ton of time in 2 Airstream models this weekend and almost pulled the trigger but I have her at least convinced to take one more look at the Camplite.

I'm having one heck of a hard time wanting to dole out the cheddar needed for the Airstream.

Airstreams were never made for any off pavement travel. If you really want an airstream join an airstream forum or two and see what you will be getting into before you buy one.

No offense, but you don't know what you are talking about. Wally Baum used to lead Carvans all around the world towing Airstreams everywhere.

Airstreamcaravans_700.jpg

And today, I tow mine off road all the friggin time.

12985453_1549252135371148_4004393769396776112_n.jpg

Don't think an Airstream is a pavement princess one bit.

They're pricey, but they will last a lifetime, and are durable as hell. Your best beat is to buy a late-model used if you really are set on one.

I've been towing mine full time, which spends 99% of it's life off pavement for over a year and half and haven't had anything break or fail.

Don't go over 27ft also if you want to camp out of campgrounds. Personally, 23-25ft is the ideal size. If you want to boondock in comfort and don't have kids, 23D might be the best size for that. I have kids, so we have a 27fter and we live in it full time.

That being said, I don't think smaller Airstreams are worth the premium.

I love the look of Airstreams and my dad has owned 2. I don't believe that 4 people can sleep "comfortably" in one, nearly all of them seem to be set up for 2 people.

I would love a 25ft but am limited to what the 4runner can pull. Which is 5k, if I were to buy another rig as part of the deal, ala a 200 series (8000lb tow rating)I'd be over budget.

We're going to look at the Camp Lite this weekend. Just to weigh our options better. The price difference is a few really nice trips.

Airstreams hold their resale amazingly well. Add into that they are comfy and do very well off road. Ours has been all over the Mojave and Sonoran deserts. We're not campground types. BTW, they float over deep sand very well.

Ours is a 25 ft. front bedroom. Your Sport should be narrower too.

This is miles off the pavement in the Panamint Valley..

Yea 23 and under is narrower. And the older ones are also narrower. Dexter Axle makes a lift kit too for the torsion axles on these.

A pal of mine just had his 23D customized, turned out great:

13597684_114272802341159_88797687_n.jpg

Tows it with a Ford Raptor.

But your money will probably go further with the CampLite and you can spend that 10k difference on solar and other goodies. ;)

Yea 23 and under is narrower. And the older ones are also narrower. Dexter Axle makes a lift kit too for the torsion axles on these.

A pal of mine just had his 23D customized, turned out great:

13597684_114272802341159_88797687_n.jpg

Tows it with a Ford Raptor.

But your money will probably go further with the CampLite and you can spend that 10k difference on solar and other goodies. ;)

Now that is beautiful... don't ever show this to my wife!

Uggggg.... tried pulling the rigger on a 16 Sport Airstream but man these dealers think they have gold. After a few hours of negotiating they only would discount the trailer 8% off MSRP. Seems like other folks online are getting 15% to 20% off.

Decided against the 22 Sport Airstream as it was too long. And the Camplite we actually both didn't like, spent a few hours in one and the fit and finish was not was it used to be. Sad....

Find the exact model you want and start shopping multiple dealers. Somebody wants to move a unit :lawyer

Thats the plan Dave.

BTW loving the new set up bud!!!!!

Sat in a FWC Hawk today, almost got the wife convinced......lol....should has never taken her to see the Air Stream.

Yeah, Airstream owners are kind of like a cult....LOL

Everyone thinks they are the best! They are elegant, I'll give you that for sure! But I've heard too many stories of the back ends falling off....

I've never heard that. :rolleyes:

Yeah, dealer is trying to rip you off. Everyone gets 20% off MSRP normally. The problem the brand has is old rich white people.

Can't swear to it in the trailer business, but in the car business dealerships really do get factory $$$ based on volume of sales. End of the quarter/end of the year are the best times to shop, especially if a dealership is within a couple of units of attaining their quota.

Back
Top Bottom