Wheel and tire fitment

Toyos are definitely a proven tire for ram trucks. Nitro, not so much. Ask @BlkWgn his thoughts on nitro tires.. Iirc he had them on his truck when he bought it, and he hated them. I assume you've looked at the Toyo RT?

Toyo RT is not an AT tire IMHO. Never heard of Nitro tires...

When I bought the truck they put a set of Nitto AT on it at the dealer. I got less than 30k miles out of them and they started to chunk and make noise at less that 10k miles. I will never buy a Nitto tire again. The Toyo runs great and a lot of the guys are having great luck with the Cooper STT Pro and Goodyear Kevlar (but both are MT Tires) I would agree that the Toyo RT is not a AT tire. Toyo was shooting for a mid range between the at and Mt tire specifically with the work truck / daily driver off road market in mind similar to the Mickey Thompson ATZ. I would consider looking at the Mickey Thompson STZ and the General Tire AT2 as well

I'd appreciate it if you guys would quit bad mouthing Nitto tires, I have a sponsored set on the way, and you guys are hurting my feelings!o_O

I'd appreciate it if you guys would quit bad mouthing Nitto tires, I have a sponsored set on the way, and you guys are hurting my feelings!o_O

I know some people love them, all I know is I did not have a good experience.

What I hear is that Nitto changed the compound considerably with the Grappler G2.

Tires are no compensation for skill. ;) I ran a set of Nitto's before and hated them. Terrible on road manners. Death traps when it rains. But they were good offroad. However, the tires wear at a fast rate. I always referred to Nitto's as the Jeepers "me too" tire. :p

General Grabber makes a good tire btw.

That wasn't a comment about anyone here. Just a comment on the trend towards bigger and bigger tires. I understand why more sidewall is a good thing. Just speaking in generalities. :clang

We were forced to run General Tires (spec tire) towards the end of our Jeepspeed campaign. As a team we hated them under desert racing conditions, couldn't keep sidewalls in them and the air kept falling out.

That's all very interesting. Toyo makes NITTO tires. I have NITTO Terra Grappler MTs and am thoroughly pleased. They were a vast improvement over the BFG KM2s that were lethal in the rain and icy conditions. Never had a problem with the NITTO's in a variety of conditions ranging from swampy Maine, slimy wooded North Carolina and Pennsylvania, to scrabble rock Utah. Plus they were way quieter on the road and no significant chunking. After 30K plus for a M/T though they are getting a little light on the tread depth and a little cupped.

Than doesn't mean I'm wedded to those tires. Below are my next tires that I'll put on next month... Cooper STT PRO in 315/75/16. Price is no object since I too am sponsored... by Mrs. Tango. :D
DiscovererSTTPRO.jpg

Toyo RT is not an AT tire IMHO. Never heard of Nitro tires...
Come on hahahahahaha.. You know what I meant.. And I agree the RT is kinda a mix of a MT and AT... Given the weight that your truck with camper will be I'm sure a real AT makes the most sense.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

That's all very interesting. Toyo makes NITTO tires. I have NITTO Terra Grappler MTs and am thoroughly pleased. They were a vast improvement over the BFG KM2s that were lethal in the rain and icy conditions. Never had a problem with the NITTO's in a variety of conditions ranging from swampy Maine, slimy wooded North Carolina and Pennsylvania, to scrabble rock Utah. Plus they were way quieter on the road and no significant chunking. After 30K plus for a M/T though they are getting a little light on the tread depth and a little cupped.

Than doesn't mean I'm wedded to those tires. Below are my next tires that I'll put on next month... Cooper STT PRO in 315/75/16. Price is no object since I too am sponsored... by Mrs. Tango. :D
DiscovererSTTPRO.jpg
Glad to see someone else going with the STT pro. I'm having a set put on of them in 315/70/17 load range E on the truck tomorrow.. Then I'm going camping this weekend so hopefully we will see how they do in the dirt.

It's interesting to me how the same tire can perform completely different on two different vehicles. It almost feels like you need to look at feedback from guys with the same rig. One of the reasons the BFG is off the table now.
The guys at Americas tire were trying to push me toward bfg AT, but I told them under no circumstances would I put bfg on my truck.. And my ONLY reasoning behind it was because I have read way too many horror stories about death wobble on dodges with bfg tires. Now, who knows, maybe the new bfg AT are completely different bit I'm not willing to chance it.

I may change my mind and not go with the Toyo RT after all. These Cooper Discoverer MTP's are nice!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Got an 03' F-350, any suggestions on a good tire for it. Looking in the 37" range? After reading all the comments it sounds like a fella could make a pretty costly mistake buying tires.

Back
Top Bottom