Competition Load Out

Oscar

Adventurist
Im going to be competing in the 36 hours of Uwharrie in August. I carry alot of gear with me when I travel but I always have the option of restocking or finding locally a part I may need.

What repair parts / spares do you recommend for this?

Im running a 2012 Wrangler Rubicon

I'm planning a thorough inspect and assessment before the event but accidents still happen.

I'm not familiar with the program. Are there rest periods or is it 36 hours straight with no scheduled down time for repairs? Do you have a chase crew or is it run what you brung with no outside assistance?

I'm not familiar with the program. Are there rest periods or is it 36 hours straight with no scheduled down time for repairs? Do you have a chase crew or is it run what you brung with no outside assistance?
no outside support and I have to carry everything with me. 3 days worth. there is a base camp we return to when not engaged in a challenge. so ill have time for repairs there but can only use what i bring.

Fluids, filters, JBWeld, specific tool kit with any oddball tools you might need, (36MM or whatever size the front axle nut is, for instance, try not to carry tools that you have no need for). I carry a 6" pipe wrench and find countless uses for it, excellent for stripped brake line fittings, removing broken studs, etc. U-joint(s), air compressor, HiLift jack (just because they are so versatile), I always find a use for a good pry bar, complete first aid kit, tree saver strap, recovery strap.

Bailing wire, various size hose clamps, sheet of thin rubber, all come in handy if you break a hose. Extra lug nuts.

^ some great ideas in there.

24369057106_dc59105a87_c.jpg

I have a fairly good tool kit but the consumables definitely needs to be addressed.

Electrical repair kit. Stripping/crimping pliers, lengths of various size wires, solderless terminals/butt splices, butane soldering iron.

As a chase guy, here's an idea of all of the crap that I carry. May give you some more ideas.
http://americanadventurist.com/forum/threads/remote-pitting-for-a-desert-race.3526/#post-59491
Awesome man. I have a wiring bag that lives in my adventure trailer. looks like it needs to move. butane sodering iron is a great idea. need to add that.

I need to up my battery driven gear game too. Ive always carried hand tools for weight savings and no worries about batteries. ive not had to worry about time when putting a fix together before. cordless impact would be a life saver on a tire change.

Complete tire patching/plugging kit, including extra valve stems and valve stem cores.

Small coffee can full of assorted sizes and lengths of bolts, nuts, washers, cotter pins, etc. to replace stuff that falls off.

Some welding rod (not sure what #, research needed :edit, 6011 seems to be the right rod) and a face shield or goggles can be very handy if you know how to use them. You will need dual batteries (or 3) and a rod holder or heavy duty jumper cables to make it work but it could save the challenge if you need to fix something big. Not sure on the rules regarding having someone let you use an extra battery. If you haven't done battery welding before you should practice ahead of time.

2012 means a programmer/code clearing gadget is necessary.

Spare winch line or means to repair a broken one.

EDIT: Also, food. Try and pack stuff you don't need to heat, stir, use utensils or mess with. Something you can just tear open and eat on the go. Allows you to keep your energy level up without taking up time.

Last edited:
You also need the right size wire between the posts on the two batteries to regulate the flow of current. And use "farmers" rod for stick welds in the field ;)

24V will work for most welding repairs using the redneck method. If you don't have rod, we've patched a TJ back together using a radio antenna and coat hanger. Doesn't make for a pretty weld, but it will stick metal together.

I think I'd add in a few heavy duty ratchet straps. I've seen a lot of trail repair utilizing these to hold things together.

I forget what it's called but it might be silicone self-fusing tape. It's mainly used to repair broken/torn fluid hoses and is able to repair even if fluid is leaking out.

You can't forget a nice heavy sledge hammer if something needs to be bashed back into place.

Some welding rod (not sure what #, research needed :edit, 6011 seems to be the right rod) and a face shield or goggles can be very handy if you know how to use them. You will need dual batteries (or 3) and a rod holder or heavy duty jumper cables to make it work but it could save the challenge if you need to fix something big. Not sure on the rules regarding having someone let you use an extra battery. If you haven't done battery welding before you should practice ahead of time.

2012 means a programmer/code clearing gadget is necessary.

Spare winch line or means to repair a broken one.

EDIT: Also, food. Try and pack stuff you don't need to heat, stir, use utensils or mess with. Something you can just tear open and eat on the go. Allows you to keep your energy level up without taking up time.

Welding gear isn't a bad idea. I've never done it but I can weld.
I have a programmer in the rig so thats good to go.
Spare winch line is a great idea. I know how to splice but that can always go sideways.

I think I'd add in a few heavy duty ratchet straps. I've seen a lot of trail repair utilizing these to hold things together.

I forget what it's called but it might be silicone self-fusing tape. It's mainly used to repair broken/torn fluid hoses and is able to repair even if fluid is leaking out.

You can't forget a nice heavy sledge hammer if something needs to be bashed back into place.

I have a couple of rolls of F4 tape left over from my military days if thats what you mean. I have 2 50k straps ill throw in. Ive used them to limp a vehicle off the mountain before. they actually made really good lower control arms when the oem one was ripped off in a slide.

There are lots of good suggestions in this thread. I am going to suggest both repair parts and other misc items that werent already mention.

1 The biggest power inverter you can afford or what ever you currently own.
2 alternator starter
3 head light and tail light bulbs
4 spare belts
5 shocks 1 front 1 rear
6 starter fluid
7 lug nuts
8 wheel studs
9 scrap pieces of metal
10 aluminum tubing small sizes (ive repaired torn hoses with aluminum tubing and hose clamps)

Im trying to think of stuff i carry now in my vehicles and stuff i carried when I was a field crew mechanic.

All this is great, but if you need more than 5% of it, bring clean underwear!
Good luck[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom