BaseCamper: A Cargo Trailer's Journey

Really digging the interior! My vote is for windows and a sleeping setup ;)

A shot from the first paddling trip of 2016...

image.jpg

I'm pretty happy with my DuraMax/camper and Jeep arrangement and the options they give me, I still find myself jealous of your arrangement. Great planning, and even better execution!

Thanks @bob91yj! Its working good for us but like any of the camp options its not without its pitfalls. I wish this trailer had a side door and that the Maggie was a little more egress friendly in the rain, but we make it work.

^I know right. Michelle wakes me up every morning before first light to go tinkle which involves me crawling out of her way and waiting patiently for her return. I should make her sleep by the exit door and deal with bears and other critters.

Out and about again last weekend. This time on a hiking/whitewater scout run down to the southern portion of western Pennsylvania. Ended up on some unexpected two track roads and the trailer pulled well over the thank-you-mams and potholes despite not being built for trail towing. With the set-up pictured below it took us a total of 15 minutes to set up camp...

image.jpg

Once back home we gave it and the Maggie a good scrub and than a coat of wax. Shines like a new penny as it beckons us to take it back out on the road.

@Haggis the trailer is looking awesome. After our week long trip to the grand canyon and ovx 2016, the wife and I have been giving some serious thought to a very similar setup that you've got.. while my truck with the truck bed tent works great, moving ALL the gear out of the truck to set up the truck bed tent proved to be cumbersome. I really love the idea of having all my gear in the trailer with a rtt on it for a base camp.... I'm off to research 4x6 enclosed trailers...

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I really love the idea of having all my gear in the trailer with a rtt on it for a base camp.... I'm off to research 4x6 enclosed trailers...

What is really nice is that all we have to do is throw the fridge in the truck, a duffle of clothes and whatever adventure gear to match the flavor of our run and we're good to go.

What is really nice is that all we have to do is throw the fridge in the truck, a duffle of clothes and whatever adventure gear to match the flavor of our run and we're good to go.
That's the major appeal for me.. all my gear stored in one place, just pack up food and libations and head out.. and it would also allow flexibility for when I wanted to camp in the hard side camper...

If I was in your position @Scott id pick up a good, used lightweight aluminum cap of Craigslist that would be easy to take on and off the truck, find a good deal on a cargo trailer doing the same and be versatile in your roll out. Kids could sleep in the bed of the truck (when their old enough) or even just you if you're solo. Have a small trailer for you and the wife, either a trailer within RTT or a cargo conversion (think 5x8 even) and be totally flexible with your camping needs. That's what our set-up allows, for ruff stuff the Maggie goes on the truck. Lighter service trips or base camping the trailer gets the nod.

If I was in your position @Scott id pick up a good, used lightweight aluminum cap of Craigslist that would be easy to take on and off the truck, find a good deal on a cargo trailer doing the same and be versatile in your roll out. Kids could sleep in the bed of the truck (when their old enough) or even just you if you're solo. Have a small trailer for you and the wife, either a trailer within RTT or a cargo conversion (think 5x8 even) and be totally flexible with your camping needs. That's what our set-up allows, for ruff stuff the Maggie goes on the truck. Lighter service trips or base camping the trailer gets the nod.
That's another option I've thought about.. often times it's just me and the oldest camping right now so a light shell and a sleeping area for the two of us would work great..

THIS is our goal as well... not there yet!

What we have found to be the best practice is to keep an inventory list on what we have, what we consumed/used and what we need to restock before the next trip. Propane bottles, cordage, water, ancillary cooking needs and what not. Than as soon as possible when we get home all the gear is cleaned or aired out and consumables re provisioned for the next trip. That way when we get a last minute urge to bolt to a different woods than the one we habitate we aren't messing around trying to get stuff gathered up. Luckily for me Michelle is a 37th level Organizational Paladin and her spreadsheet Kung-fu is strong so our inventory status is always spot on. Unless it was something I was suppose to pack...

What we have found to be the best practice is to keep an inventory list on what we have, what we consumed/used and what we need to restock before the next trip. Propane bottles, cordage, water, ancillary cooking needs and what not. Than as soon as possible when we get home all the gear is cleaned or aired out and consumables re provisioned for the next trip. That way when we get a last minute urge to bolt to a different woods than the one we habitate we aren't messing around trying to get stuff gathered up. Luckily for me Michelle is a 37th level Organizational Paladin and her spreadsheet Kung-fu is strong so our inventory status is always spot on. Unless it was something I was suppose to pack...
Brilliant methodology. Should be a sticky in and of itself.

Back
Top Bottom