San Felipe, April 2016

bob91yj

Adventurist
Founding Member
I had a need for some Baja down time, decided to go for a weekend. At the last minute, Peter (bmw635) and Dale (woodienut) along with his girl Mary and their dog Cooper decided to join us.

Peter and I agreed to meet at my house at 11AM Friday...yet another one of those random internet meetings, we had PM'd a couple of times, a few texts and a phone call, and we were off to a third world country full of banditos and cops on the take together....scary, I tell ya, don't try that at home!:eek:

Dale and Mary were a couple of hours ahead of us, we'd meet them at Pete's Camp.

We all made the trip to San Felipe with no issues...no banditos, no bribe paying, no problems, even though the internet had assured us that we were risking our lives on such a trip, especially with strangers!:rolleyes: I correct myself... the head wind was so stiff on the way down, my Dmax dropped down to 10MPG, and Dale found a need to use the gas from one of his cans that he'd been hauling around for years...or so he claimed...Dale is a bit of a story teller...I think he did it just to impress Mary with how prepared he is in the event of a crisis.:cool:

Enough blathering, on to the few pics that I took. I realized on review that Peter and his FJ80 aren't in the pics. He decided to go wandering around the San Felipe area a bit. I chose to anchor my chair down at camp in the event that a gust of wind might come up and blow it over.;)

sanfelapr2016%20008_zps4j5u5fek.jpg

As you can see, the beach was CROWDED, we had to fight to get a good spot.

sanfelapr2016%20007_zpsmxj1kik0.jpg

Another shot of camp, that's Pete's Camp just above us, "Mary approved" bathrooms and showers next to the bar/restaurant.

sanfelapr2016%20006_zpsdftcrgfr.jpg

sanfelapr2016%20004_zpsjo5gbnse.jpg

It was a relaxing trip for all!

sanfelapr2016%20003_zpsqig33k3r.jpg

Another shot of the crowds we had to contend with to enjoy ourselves. This one is at high tide...

sanfelapr2016%20016_zpsx7ukqpbb.jpg

...there is substantially more beach at low tide, adds at least a 1/4 mile of mud flats, making the crowds more tolerable. The Sea of Cortez has the most dramatic tide swings. By our estimation, it was at least 10-12 feet while we were there.

sanfelapr2016%20001_zps6ypz8qzp.jpg

Two of Machelle's brothers live at Pete's Camp. We went to her brother Jim's house for a feast Saturday night. Tri-tip, salmon and fresh shrimp cooked on the grill were all on the menu. Her brother Don rode his quad down to help me with securing our chairs.

sanfelapr2016%20020_zpsshegpj6y.jpg

Cooper resting after a tough game of fetch.

sanfelapr2016%20018_zpshhrzmv2p.jpg

All good things must come to an end, Dale and Mary took one last walk on the beach.

It's $15 a night. Amenities are still primitive...clean but with some "patina" flush toilets on the beach, and dumpsters. Newly remodeled bathrooms and showers ($2) up at the bar/restaurant.

There's a late model Ram/Cummins truck, or what's left of it, still stuck in the ocean near Pete's. It's been there over a year. The story goes that heavy equipment couldn't even pull it out when it got stuck.

I was sitting at the bar a few years back, saw a local family in a Toyota 4Runner get stuck. I hated to expose my Jeep to the salt water, but couldn't watch them lose their vehicle either. I ran down and pulled them out just as the tide was coming in. Pulled a buddy and his Chevy Dmax out more recently. He'd broken a front axle shaft, 3 wheel drive wouldn't get him over the berm. Probably the only "full pull" I've ever had with a winch. I backed up to the last wrap on the drum, another buddy parked his F-150 so we were front tire to front tire to help anchor me. It still took some digging and wheel spin to get him out. We were just in time, his exhaust was under water when we finally got him up.

Last edited:
Wow you guys really roughed it out with those crowds... Great snaps Bob and definitely great scenery! Paradise.

Back
Top Bottom