Anyone surf? I need advice....

mtnbike28

Adventurist
Founding Member
I am looking for a used surfboard just to play around on....

For sale - Longboard surfboard 7'8" New condition bic hard plastic finish - $150

I want something my 14yo daughter (110 pounds?) can ride the small stuff - she did a surf lesson and they were on a big soft top and she popped right up with instructors pushing her, I would do the same I am sure.

And I want to be able to use it for me (215 pounds) - I have surfed a couple of times over the last 3 decades, but last time was in Hawaii and I was able to ride right away on a long board.

I have read real surfers hate the Bic, but all said it does what I want.... it's cheap, and very durable - that is important since it would ride to FL (6 hours) and the Core Banks (5 hours) to be used.

Thanks

Although that board might be durable, they are crummy pop-outs (surf lingo meaning machine made) I would spend that same amount of money on a used hand shaped fiberglass board. in the long run you will be much happier. Also, where I surf, the second we (fellow surfing jerks) see one of those hit the water you are immediately a kook and possibly part of the costco surf team.
So no, I would not get one of those. Sad but true most surfers are angry judgmental whiners who behave like a high school cheerleader clique.
Just get a decent foam and glass board. The shape to look for is a "fun shape" or a good size fish as a beginner board. IMO stay away from anything longer than 8', they are heavy and hard to turn. Its called logging for a reason...

About me, I have surfed since high school, I ride mostly shortboards in the 6'0-6'5 range and ride fish/hybrids in the 5'5'-5'8 range, I am short and wide, 5'7 200lbs

Remember, the most "eco"(economical and ecological) friendly surfboard is a used surfboard!

oh yea, invest in a good board bag, and don't leave the board in the sun for days at a time! board bags are found cheap online at discount sites like whiskeymilitia.com the fit doesn't need to be EXACT, just nothing too small, it has to zip shut. you don't want a big floppy board bag either but if its a little loose you can throw your wetsuit or a towel in with it.

That is the problem - the ads don't say what boards they are - like this one!
http://greensboro.craigslist.org/spo/5469188441.html

I am not concerned what other surfers say - on the Core Banks, we camp in spots were we can't see another camper and in FL we drive down teh beach to find quiet spots. In fact I have never seen a surfer where I go....

Just looking for a cheap board to play on at the beach.

The black line running up the middle is called the stringer, it is indicative of a foam surfboard. Its usually made of balsa wood turned on edge so that its strong like beams of a house.

pointy is not always a good thing, thats so that it can cut through water better and not dive in when you really dig in the rails on big turns. I would stay away from that for beginning.
I am now looking at your craigslist haha.

The second board you sent seems to be a step up, based on the length and the thickness of the stringer, step up is between shortboard (think kelly slater) and a "gun" (think laird hamilton) they are made for really big surf, but not so much really REALLY big surf.

a funboard or fun shape is best for learning.
can you stand on a skateboard? can you stand on a skateboard thats not moving?

I used to skate (we even had a park where I grew up) but last time I dropped into ramp, I landed on my face... no more of that for my old self!

Thanks - that board is 8 hours RT - I Googled Ocean Image, seems to be out of business or REAL small... how hard is it to find replacement fins, etc. Is that a concern?

as far as glassed on fins, any reputable ding repair place can put new ones on, but it will never be exact as far as angles etc... Most people wouldn't really be able to tell if they weren't exactly straight on, pros would though. The BEST thing is a board with removable fins by brands like FCS and Futures. I take my fins off when I am transporting the board long distances, or so I can fit another board in the same bag.

Back
Top Bottom