Camping and Traveling with Babies/ Kids

As far as car seats go, we just use the regular one in the back of the cruiser. Driving technique and trail choice are more important and seat selection.

Always pack more food and clothing than you could ever need for a trail ride. If mom is breast feeding you have to keep her energy up too. God forbid you break something and get stuck on the trail over night. You want to be able to survive without sacrifice. Again, trail selection comes into play here. Plan short day trips you can make it back from safely, and plan around eating and napping.

As far as gadgets, we really like to have a remote temp monitor and a video monitor with us on our trips. When we put the kid down we can go back and sit around the fire for some adult time. With the thermometer we can make sure the camper doesn't get too cold for him without having to open the door and disturbing him. We can also peek in on the little guy at will with the video monitor. The rest of the campers with you will get a kick out of looking at the video monitor around the fire too. Also, a video monitor does wonders for your guilt reduction when you are trying to sleep train. You can see that despite the crying, he is fine!

We didn't bother to go out during the crawling stage. Before is great, and after is a lot of fun. Confining a crawling baby is a nightmare for both parent and child. We hung it up for a couple months and are glad we did.

Camp with family and friends who have kids. They love to hold the kid and throw the ball with them. It will give you a break and slow the pace of the trip. A group of single folks wants to go on three long runs all weekend. A group of families is happy to make it out of camp by 11 for a two hour run before afternoon naps.

Do what you can and remember a weekend camping with the fam is better than a day at work, no matter how it turns out.

Looks like I will get to try some of this advice out sooner than I thought. Colette Noelle Jones was born on Sunday Jan 31. I'm so anxious to get her outside...
Congrats! Don't miss out on the cool new born stuff that fads so fast, it's easy to miss because you're so tired right now. The startle reflex where a new born will shake their arms if they're moved slightly is the cutest thing ever and it fades in just a couple of weeks!

Looks like I will get to try some of this advice out sooner than I thought. Colette Noelle Jones was born on Sunday Jan 31. I'm so anxious to get her outside...
Congrats to you and your wife! A grand adventure indeed!

Hi Guys!

We are getting ready to start looking at gear for babies and kids, and we were wondering if anyone has any advice on what to get or not to get for trips? We generally camp for a few days at a time, but have done extended trips in the past as well, and would like to continue to do so after the baby comes.

Does any one have a product that you found you could not live without? Or maybe something you felt you wasted money on?

Also, does any one know of a good car seat that is qualified for off-roading? Does something like that exist?

Any advice is very appreciated!
Thanks!

I decided to put together a short easy list for camping with kids today, although I've talked about individual things in other posts before I hadn't really put it together yet: http://talesofadventures.net/camping-with-kids/

This. My guess is that it would take about 24 hours for kiddo to figure out that she can have fun without Mom around. After that, you are golden. Bite the bullet. Get out there for a weekender.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk
Thought I would bring this up again... Turns out You guys were both right. I took my oldest out to los coyotes campground this past weekend and she had an absolute blast. There was one moment of tiredness that she wanted her mom, but once she got in the tent she fell asleep almost instantly.. She is already asking when we can go camping again, so I'm looking at doing another outing soon... I have a little camper in the making!
I call BS my friend. You're not plowing new ground here Scott - we've all had to go through it. You admitted - YOU are anxious - just do it... cut the cord... there is no "sign" alerting you that "older kiddo is ready." Or, just let them cling to mom and you can bet those behaviors will become habituated and you'll struggle to get that little trail partner for the rest of their lives. I know. I had one that would rather have been with mom as a nipper but once she got outdoors with dad... it was fun. Now she's 26 and on her own, but she still likes to go out with dad. I can supply testimonials from forum members if you desire.

Once your little one gets out in nature with dad and you share your time and explore the simplest, tiny wonders that nature has to offer with them, that separation anxiety will melt away beau coup quick. That little stream to splash in, that fallen tree to climb on, that tide pool to observe the ocean's tiniest creatures, the littlest things nature has to offer is a wonderful world of excitement for the young curious mind.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Thought I would bring this up again... Turns out You guys were both right. I took my oldest out to los coyotes campground this past weekend and she had an absolute blast. There was one moment of tiredness that she wanted her mom, but once she got in the tent she fell asleep almost instantly.. She is already asking when we can go camping again, so I'm looking at doing another outing soon... I have a little camper in the making!

That's great news @Scott!

Because I was just making that story up... I don't even have a daughter. o_O

[Gawd, I crack myself up]

kate and dad.jpg

@BlkWgn we brought way too many clothes. In reality, we had to plan for clothes that would be useful in summer in Kansas all the way to fall in Alaska. We also thought we would need more to keep them entertained but our rule of "no more than 5 hrs on the road a day" helped break up the windshield time. I'm glad that we got the two older kids their own cameras. Its been fun, even now, to go back and see the trip through their eyes. The NP activity books were also a hit. Pick up one of the passports as soon as you can and safeguard it. We checked off 5 or 6 National Parks just during this trip.

There's some awesome advice in this thread, and I'm only going to be able to add one additional thing. Get the kid(s) outdoors early and often. My daughter started taking hikes and camping trips at an early age. She's now 12 and when I asked a few weeks ago what she wanted to do on her spring break her reply was, "let's go camping and fishing." Proud Dad right here.

There's some awesome advice in this thread, and I'm only going to be able to add one additional thing. Get the kid(s) outdoors early and often. My daughter started taking hikes and camping trips at an early age. She's now 12 and when I asked a few weeks ago what she wanted to do on her spring break her reply was, "let's go camping and fishing." Proud Dad right here.
From talking to you last weekend I could tell you are definetly a proud dad. Your kids sound like you've raised them right!! It was a pleasure to meet you.. And thanks for the help setting up my camp and entertaining Paige!

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

As others have said: “Just do it!” Before the kids I was an avid backpacker going on overnights at least once a month after I just thought it would be hard to do with the little ones.

So last summer I took some advice and finally took the whole family (Wife 6yr and 1yr) on a short backing trip in NC. I now regret not taking my oldest sooner! I’m not going to lie there were a lot of lessons learned and a few stressful moments but I very glad I did it.

My problem was I researched too much on the internet! In the end all it took was a few trips to figure out my family needs! We found early that when car camping it’s worth it to take our pack in play! Our youngest will not sleep in anything else also we forgot to bring His “Blanket” one time. We will never forget that thing again. It was a long night! The best part is the kids wear themselves out early when we are camping so the wife and I finally get to spend some time together!
7A36EE0F-BE34-45F1-A48E-FC2A8FC36886.jpg
8F6007DC-020E-4B4F-84A1-7A1936471325.jpg
8575001F-CC67-4490-8F7F-E895272C2410.jpg

I've been camping too with my family of 4. We started taking my little one as early as 2 yrs old and he is 5 now. Lots of food and snacks plus their most favorite toys. Activities like rock climbing, football and tag helps them wear out. Plus its nice too see them without the electronics for days!

They did enjoy picking up trash last DRV i just have to carry the little one on the way back.

Back
Top Bottom