Another ARB Awning

ImNoSaint

Adventurist
DSCF1852.jpg

I know there's another good thread here on the ARB Awning, but I thought I'd show a bit more detail and speak to some issues of wind and rain.

I had an Australian 60" Eezi Awn awning on the Montero that converted me to the idea, but not to the convenience since the Eezi Awn's cam system in the legs was unstable at best in calm conditions. This ARB awning solves that and other issues.
DSCF1877.jpg

I wanted coverage over the rear hatch of my rig. I've modified the rear door with a fold out shelf that creates a food prep area and the awning along with the door creates a good, protected space.
DSCF2338.jpg

Its engineering makes it easy to deploy by one person, though a wider awning would be better served by two sets of hands.

The construction is top notch with reinforced corners on the awning and clever plastic disk stays on the struts and legs that keep all the hardware in place until it's deployed.
proxy

proxy

Stowing is a cinch in its PVC reinforced nylon bag with two d-ring velcro straps and heavy duty weather-proof zippers.
DSCF2202.jpg

This awning is going on its third year on this vehicle and has been through downpours and moderate wind and gusts. We got drenched in the high Uintah Mountains during the night. I left the tent to check on the awning and found it had accumulated a lot of water, the material sagging significantly, but the legs never failed. I lowered one leg to create a run-off, eliminating the puddling.
IMG_0268.jpg

Properly staked down both with guy lines at 45 degrees out and at the foot of each pole, I've yet to have it go pear-shaped in the wind, up to around 15 mph. I don't deploy it at winds beyond that.

It's important to keep it clean, especially from tree sap, and to allow it to dry out before stowing.

Shade off the tailgate area of a vehicle is key - great write up!

:thumbsup

I have same awning. Deployed mine for first time at DRV. Worked great keeping the sun off of me while cooking.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    975.8 KB · Views: 58
Got awning lighting?

I just received my new ARB awning and I wanted to do lighting like that too. Mind showing how you connected power? (Hardwired or something you can disconnect?) I'm thinking I'll need a removable extension cord for mine, due to how the van doors sit, etc.

Back
Top Bottom