2016 King of the Hammers

richard310

Adventurist
Author
Okay since this is still fresh in my head, I'm going to drop a quick trip report for you guys.

The main plan was to assist Bob and Dust Junkies Racing with pit duties and whatever they needed us to do for Thursday and Friday. Ken, Brian and I decided to meet up at Bessemer Mine Rd at 1000 on Thursday, to meet Bob and get us in the pits to help out for the Every Man Challenge for that day. Unfortunately, as we were making our way towards the meeting point, I got a text from Bob stating they were unable to secure us pit wristbands and the BLM were being quite nazi with the situation. So, after some guidance from Bob, we headed into Hammertown to go find some pit wristbands and hangout for the rest of the day.

We found a little spot a short walk away from Gate 4, just at the base of the last course hill before the finish line, and began the hunt for DJR. After finding the DJR main camp, they pointed us to the main tent, where even more unfortunate, there was no one manning the stations. We ended up meandering about Hammertown checking out the immediate area and vendors and decided to head back to our vehicles to plan what to do next.

After watching a few race rigs roll by our area, we decided to check out Jackhammer, as Chocolate Thunder looked like a zoo from base camp. It was a pleasant dusty drive with plenty of traffic rolling in and out of Hammertown. It was like rush-hour with extreme low visibility. A dust storm. The three of us ended up staying at Jackhammer for the remainder of the day. We were able to see the rigs do their magic pretty up-close as they climbed the quite sandy and loose hill at Jackhammer. Some dug in and had to back up to gather speed, some had to take the alternate route and others were able to make it on one shot. Pretty amazing to watch these beasts work. Even got a flyover by a Marine Corps AH-1. With the sun quickly setting and the temps starting to drop, we headed back into camp about 1530 to setup and have dinner.

Last edited:

With dinner wrapped up, the three of us locked up and went to find Bob at the DJR main camp, which we did. After some searching and waiting to find wristbands, we ended up going back to the main tent to where, alas, there were folks manning the stations. We paid our dues and hung out at the camp for a bit before calling it an early night as we all had an early start at 0600.

With the alarm going off at 0500, and hitting the snooze button twice, we packed up and rallied with Bob to head towards Remote Pit 1 at 0600. Met up with Jim who stayed that night up at Bessemer. All of us setup and eagerly waited for the first rigs to roll through. The pit area was stacked pretty nicely and with very friendly faces. It was great to see and hear teams helping each other when needed. We ended up only having to mainly top off fuel for the Bomber Fab #4448 car twice and some other checks during that duration. A pretty exciting day to see the cars up close and in action. If work allows, I hope to be a helping hand next year.

Thanks Bob and DJR for having us. As a first timer to KOH, it was definitely a sight to see and experience first hand. Looking forward to seeing you guys next year.

Last edited:
Awesome trip report and pictures! Thank you Bob and Machelle as well as DJR for the privilege of being included. A great experience!

Great report Richard. I think your pics captured the essence of what we do out there, thanks!

The line to get out of Hammertown yesterday was a couple of hours long. We stayed another night and took off at the butt crack of dawn this morning.

You guys did an amazing job helping out, I'd love to have you all back again next year, and we'll do it all over again!

Gee, I'd love to see these pictures... if only they were hosted here and not blocked at work... ;)

Such a bummer Dave. If only... :tip I'll keep that in mind for my next reports.

It's a shame though, I just noticed attached files are only allowed a 15 image max per post, compared to the 20 image max for linked images. That means I can't retro edit my posts or I've become forum illiterate...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom