Scott B.'s 2015 Tacoma AC Build - Expo Style

Lift Blocks

My expedition-rated rear springs were not carrying the weight as good as I wanted them to. The rear end of the truck sagged a little bit.

I could have lowered the front to even things out, but I really didn't want the truck to sit any lower. Besides, the lower height was eating into my up travel space.

I decided to build a set of lift blocks. While not the perfect solution, these would take care of most of problem. Yes, I won't get any addition up travel.

I used aluminum - 1" on the passenger side, 1 1/4" on the driver side.

sh2.jpg

After cutting to length, I drilled holes in the center.

sh3.jpg

Holes bored to proper size. If you look close at the right side one, you can see a stepped hole. The larger diameter allows the spring bolt head to slide in, and the smaller diameter allows the steel pin to be pressed in place.

sh4.jpg

Pins pressed in.

sh8.jpg

New 5/8" u-bolts.

sh5.jpg

Installed.

sh10.jpg

I also installed a set of Wheeler's bumpstops.

Last edited:
Ruff-Stuff U-bolts @Scott B. ?

Yes. For those that do not know, u-bolts are a one-time-use fastener. I also needed some that were longer than what I had on truck, to accommodate the blocks.

I requested 5/8" bolts (slightly larger than stock) with a 3 1/4" diameter bend. They only offer one length, so once installed, I cut off the excess bolt length.

RuffStuff is a good company to deal with. Good customer service, fair prices, fast shipping. And, they have 20% off sales several times a year - for those that can be patient!

Last edited:
They do make great products and I agree with all counts of your assessment. Just don't get the owner Dan on the phone - he can talk you ear off! Great guy and real supporter of the community.

There's no mistaking their beefy products.

I added a set of DSPs from G-TEK Fab.

I really like the way they look, and they are great to cover scratches other people have put in the door sills....

dsp5.jpg

Antennas, Communication

I installed 2 communication antennas, one for CB radio and one for ham radio. For CB, I selected a K40 antenna, and for ham, a Laird NMO mount. Both antennas were mounted through the roof.

I like the roof mount for several reasons. On the roof, the antennas are high off the ground, and not obstructed by any of the metal body. The higher the antenna, the farther the transmitted signal will travel. Also, roof mounted antennas are in the center of the vehicle, yielding the most uniform/even transmission pattern. Using the radio off-road, an omni-directional pattern is preferred. (Over the road trucks, with their dual antennas, prefer a more uni-directional pattern.)

Here's what I installed:

K40

ant2.jpg

Laird NMO:

ant3.jpg

On to the installation. First remove the headliner. On these trucks, you start removing the headliner by removing the door sills....

ant1.jpg

I like to add a backing plate under the thin roof sheet metal. Extra material to carry the load when the antenna hits tree limbs and such.

Backing plates:

ant5.jpg

I used 1/8" aluminum for the K40 backing plate, and thinner aluminum for the NMO mount. I had to modify the K40 to use the thick plate. Unfortunately, the NMO did not allow for a thicker plate. But, something is better than nothing.

Here's an expanded view of the K40:

ant4.jpg

I also added Part # 1 - a 1/8" thick rubber washer. Part # 3 needed to be shortened to allow for the plate and washer.

Using a chassis punch, I punched 2 holes in the perfectly good roof:

ant6.jpg

ant7.jpg

Assembled:

ant8.jpg

ant9.jpg

Now to put the interior back together!

Sound Deadening

I started adding sound deadening to the inside of the cab. I added it to the roof and back panel, since I had to pull the headliner and back panel to install the antennas.

I used RAAMmat and Ensolite from RAAM Audio. I have used this product before, and been happy with results, so I chose RAAM for this truck also.

The bare interior panels:

sd1.jpg

sd4.jpg

I applied the mat, going for a 90+ % coverage. I really don't think 100% coverage is any/much better than 90%, so I saved some effort.

The mat installed:

sd2.jpg

sd5.jpg

And the Ensolite:

sd3.jpg

sd6.jpg

This Ensolite is peel-and-stick - really easy to install!

Sound Deadening, continued...

Time to do the floor.

I gutted the interior, and laid down mat and Ensolite, just like the roof and back wall.

sd1.jpg

sd2.jpg

Mat installed. Here you can see where I cut the mat around the factory drain plugs/holes.

sd3.jpg

sd4.jpg

Ensolite installed. I decided not to cut out for the drain holes. Ensolite is soft enough, in the rare event I need to get to a plug, it will be easy to find.

sd5.jpg

sd6.jpg

Now to put it all back together!

Engine Block Heater

I added an engine block heater. While I do not live in a cold climate, there are mornings that start below freezing. I also travel to snowy/cold climates.

The heater is not a required option, rather a "nice to have" one. Warm oil flows better (faster) through the engine, warm water heats (expands) the various metal components in the engine, getting the pieces to required clearances faster. In other words, the engine sees less wear.

Is the wear significant or negligible? That is a subject of great debate (not to be covered here.) I have been running block heaters for over 20 years, and figured I'd just continue.

Besides, I get warm air out of the heater faster!

I decided to use the Toyota heater, vs. a standard replace a freeze plug style. Since the block was designed for it, why not? The best part was I didn't have to drain the coolant to install it.

ebh.jpg

The only issue I had was a bracket holding the O2 sensor wire - it was right in the way. And, the 17mm bolt holding it to the engine was waaaay to tight.

Otherwise, nothing to the installation.

(No pictures of the installed unit - you can't really see it.)

Last edited:
The latest addition to my trauma kit - Wilderness and Travel Medicine.

A great little guide book - cause you never know.....

tk.jpg

Last edited:
I usually don't add trip pictures to my build thread like a lot of people do.

With the idea of changing that, here is picture of camp last fall in Parashant.

One thing about the teardrop - it makes cooking (good food) really easy!

parashant.jpg

Last edited:
Parts are starting to pile up in the garage:

sl1.jpg

I was working on fitting the sliders, when I realized I would need to modify the frame bracket to allow for the transfer case skid plate. No problem, except I can't mount the skid plate until I reroute the exhaust. After lots of studying, I have determined a solution. Stay tuned.

b1.jpg

I ordered a PelfreyBilt standard bumper, but had them do something a little different. This bumper has dual (as in 2) swing out pivots. Since I tow a trailer (seen in the background) a full width swing out would not clear the trailer now that I have a tongue box and fuel cans mounted on the trailer. So, I am going to build my own swing outs.

Last edited:
I picked up some new recovery gear.

Gator Jaws

I saw these in use at the Appalachian Rendezvous last year. It is amazing how strong they are, and being not made of steel, much safer in the event of a recovery system failure.

r1.jpg

Hitchlink II

I used to put the end of a 2" strap in my receiver and secure it with a pin. Worked fine to pull or be pulled. However, now that I have switched to recovery ropes, using this technique can lead to a bent pin in the receiver.

I picked the Factor 55 Hitchlink II because of its light weight (and obvious build quality.) With all the gear I carry in my truck, I figure ounces saved leads to pounds...

r2.jpg

Unfortunately, it is not going to stay that pretty with use. :(

Last edited:
Where do you have your radios installed.

Nowhere yet. :(

I have been working on an axillary fuse block in the cab, for power for radios and whatnot. That is now finished (pictures soon).

Next up is mounting the CB. I am hoping to mount it in the front pocket of the center console (in front of the shifter, above the air box control box.)

As for the ham radio, I plan to mount the main body under the driver's seat and the faceplate on the overhead console.

@Scott B. odd - I try to open your most recent pictures (post 69 plus) and I get a "403 forbidden" page with a Tacoma World icon and no image.

@Scott B. odd - I try to open your most recent pictures (post 69 plus) and I get a "403 forbidden" page with a Tacoma World icon and no image.

I noticed that, too. To create those posts, I "copied" the pictures instead of uploading them. I will have to go back and upload the pictures so they become a permanent fixture on AA. :)

EDIT: Pictures fixed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom