Remote pitting for a desert race.

bob91yj

Adventurist
Founding Member
I'm old, fat, poor, and I can't drive for shit, so I found a niche in the logistics side of desert racing. Machelle and I have become pretty good at pitting for Dust Junkies Racing for random off road races, and BFGoodrich Pits for the Baja 500/1000.

Over the years I've put together a pretty good arsenal of tools/gear to make myself self sufficient when remote pitting.

I'm currently getting my gear together for the 2016 King of the Hammer's races. Machelle and I and a few other volunteers from the forum will be working for Dust Junkies Racing. I'll be at the Bessemer Mine Rd pit location, we're 45 minutes or better from any outside assistance. There will be numerous other teams out there, we all tend to help each other out when needed.

Here is an idea of the tools/gear I'll have with me.

koh2016%20001_zps2awads4z.jpg

Redi-Welder, I've got .030, and .035 flux core wire for it. Two batteries in series gets me 24 volts, and plenty of juice to perform most trail fixes.

koh2016%20004_zpseiax8sas.jpg

All of my cordless stuff is DeWalt 18v so the batteries are interchangeable. Saw and drill motor, assortment of blades, drill bits, etc,
'
koh2016%20003_zpsvee9lhj0.jpg

1/4" drive impact gun, various adapters including 3/8" and 1/2" drives.

koh2016%20002_zps1s1wpryh.jpg

One of three sets of handtools I'll have.

More to come.

Lessons learned over the years...knowing where your stuff is when you need it. As much as I hate the space that the molded cases take up, I like the idea that I can find what I need in seconds, rather than digging through a bag looking for the right socket.

Drug the rest of my stuff out tonight, all of this gets added to the pile...

1.25.16tools%20001_zpsexynhxmc.jpg

DeWalt angle grinder with assorted blades.

1.25.16tools%20002_zpsubmiqwy1.jpg

One of two "catch all/possibles bins". This one has a set of standard/metric thread chasers, complete set of EZ outs, a couple of chains, a looped strap, a rope, etc. The ratcheting wrenches were a smoking deal at a hardware store a couple of years ago, one of the few things that I've never found a need to use.

1.25.16tools%20004_zps4byexi6t.jpg

The other bin, mostly oversized hand tools.

1.25.16tools%20007_zpsjtpwuwf5.jpg

Another set of handtools, with random items added, hex wrenches, screw drivers and my favorite tool of all, a 6"pipe wrench...it's never met a stripped brake line coupling it couldn't get loose, among other things.

1.25.16tools%20006_zpsgeggha4b.jpg

Electrical diagnosis/repair stuff. Fluke meter, assorted terminals, butane soldering iron, wire, strippers, crimpers, etc.

1.25.16tools%20006_zpsgeggha4b.jpg

1.25.16tools%20005_zpssqu8pda7.jpg

Fluids box. If it makes a mess if it comes open, it's in this box. Shameless plug...my MOC automotive chemicals vendor is going to sponsor me 6 qts of gear oil, a gallon of power steering fluid, 2 qts of brake fluid, and a couple of radiator conditioner/stop leak kits.

1.25.16tools%20003_zpsn3uhs3fq.jpg

DeWalt 1/2" impact.

I'll also have an aluminum floor jack, and a Power Tank with me. Airing tires up is rarely a concern, we just change them, the Power Tank is to pressurize shocks in a pinch. The Power Tank is full of CO2 rather than nitrogen, beggars can't be choosers in a pinch. I am working on a solution to have nitrogen available, it's a definite maybe at this point!

Edit: I'm too stupid to figure out how to get the duplicate of the electrical box deleted!

Last edited:
...and some allen wrenches, needle nose pliers, and a 3/8" extension. They were consumed by the desert at some point.

^^^^I'll have the battery pack for sure...BOTH of them! Hope you make it out, the DJR crew are all Baja travelers, REALLY need to hear your Mike's story around a campfire and cold :beer

Back
Top Bottom