Black Friday Day Trip - Pine Barrens NJ

Phoenix

Adventurist
The solution to Black Friday; Pine Trees and Sugar Sand.

Looking to hit some trails in Wharton State Forest on Black Friday. Meeting at the Atsion Ranger Station on Rt 206 at 10:30 am.

713 US-206, Shamong, NJ 08088

The Pine Barrens is a nice ride off tarmac. Mainly fire roads, some water crossings. Most water crossings have go arounds, although some of the go arounds simply mean a more shallow water crossing. Some loose sand.

Bring a lunch as we generally eat on the trail. A CB and basic recovery gear are encouraged, but as most attending the run will have these, they are not required. In lieu of a CB and basic recovery gear, an extra layer of skin is recommended ;-). This is a great place for those without off road experience to start their journey, it is where I started mine. This is a family friendly event, although, you will be in NJ, so for those sensitive to course language, fair warning.

PM me by 10 AM on Friday if you will coming out.

After heading out in the Pine Barrens on Friday, I can finally say that they have ruined the State Forest for anyone who's primary interest is off-roading. Nothing out there is really challenging, but some of the more fun locations have now been graded over and leveled so that any two wheel drive vehicle can drive down them.

With that being said, I'll gladly take anyone out there that wants to check it out. I'm going to start changing my trips out there from being wheeling focused to spending more time enjoying camping, checking out some historic and interesting areas, and even venturing out on foot for some hiking. It's the farthest thing from an off-road park, but it's still a nice break from civilization for a while.

Only took 3 pics

Didn't mean to take a photo of Phoenix's ass, but look, there it is . . .

20151127_105209.jpg.64cb938cc0bfaeb1c70de6695ba6868a.jpg

20151127_122607.jpg.dd776139a45cedddb575b9f11ba22713.jpg

20151127_122610.jpg.555c3d5071ffbadb762c2395dc9e799f.jpg

Yes, you are seeing that right. That's just the top of a 35" showing on the front there and it is a right side drive Jeep.

Someone else got a video of me going through that hole before everyone else, and before the above ^ got stuck. The crowd in front is another group that we ran into with a stock Jeep JK they had to pull out and a Jeep TJ that took on water then blew it's radiator. When there is water on these trails, the right line is key. Some "locals" tend to go out at night and rut things up, just for the sake of being a d*ck. The line you took the week before can leave you high-centered the week after.

Last time I was in the pine barrens was in high school........we were driving around in a yellow pinto, good times!!
6785051813_d8ef1faca3_b.jpg

Always a treat seeing some on road vehicles in the Pine Barrens. 90% of the trails are not an issue, after all their primary purpose are fire roads. Its seeing these vehicles on the 10% that generally brings the fun. I've been involved in a number of recoveries. I've also watched as some people refuse some helpful advice. Every hour off tarmac, is a good hour.

Last time I was in the pine barrens was in high school........we were driving around in a yellow pinto, good times!!
6785051813_d8ef1faca3_b.jpg

I first explored the pines in my '75 Ford Maverick then later my '91 2wd Nissan Pickup. I once tried to cross a stream in a drainage pond with the Maverick, which lead to my original user name on forums, MudMav75. Good times.

Always a treat seeing some on road vehicles in the Pine Barrens. 90% of the trails are not an issue, after all their primary purpose are fire roads. Its seeing these vehicles on the 10% that generally brings the fun. I've been involved in a number of recoveries. I've also watched as some people refuse some helpful advice. Every hour off tarmac, is a good hour.

Yep, always finding someone out there

Attachments

• IMG_20130721_133023.jpg
    IMG_20130721_133023.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20130721_133648.jpg
    IMG_20130721_133648.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
I first explored the pines in my '75 Ford Maverick then later my '91 2wd Nissan Pickup. I once tried to cross a stream in a drainage pond with the Maverick, which lead to my original user name on forums, MudMav75. Good times.

Yeah it was my buddies sister's car and we got stuck out there too...............If I remember correctly we were jumping it over small berms, one was bigger than it looked. luckily she came and got us, she was not very happy

Last thing I want to do is go to the Pine Barrens of NJ... Lord knows how many bodies are mouldering at the bottom of those mud holes. Hey, I watched all of the Soprano's -- I know what goes on up dere... botta-bing, botta-boom.

Last thing I want to do is go to the Pine Barrens of NJ... Lord knows how many bodies are mouldering at the bottom of those mud holes. Hey, I watched all of the Soprano's -- I know what goes on up dere... botta-bing, botta-boom.

That episode was definitely not filmed in the Pine Barrens. There's no mountains to be seen. Phoenix and I can tell you a story about proper disposal of a body in the Pines, but it's best discussed around a campfire.

Any of you guys interested in a long weekend camping trip here in NJ?

Phoenix and I can tell you a story about proper disposal of a body in the Pines, but it's best discussed around a campfire.

Any of you guys interested in a long weekend camping trip here in NJ?

Just making a wild guess here @Klink, but you're not in the marketing or public relations business are you?

Oh, and all my weekends are booked for the foreseeable future...

chicken.jpg

Back
Top Bottom