Slide in camper question

jscusmcvet

Adventurist
I am looking at an older palomino slide in camper tomorrow morning. It will do double duty (if it all works out) and sometimes ride in the bed of my wife's Toyota Tacoma DC and sometimes ride in my Bantam trailer, behind my jeep. It fits in the Bantam just fine.

In the Tacoma, the rear end of the camper will sit 7" or so beyond the lowered tailgate. Is this acceptable from a safety standpoint? Seems I remember seeing plenty of slide in campers that extend beyond the rear of the truck, but thought I would ask.

7" past the tailgate seems excessive to me, but without seeing how it looks I couldn't tell you for sure.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Seems long to me, and Palomino's don't have the best reputation for holding up. I don't have any personal experience with them, just the word of mouth type thing.

I was told the same thing about my wood frame Sun Lite pop up camper. Ours has served us well for 5 years or so, it's got some wear/tear issues, but it has met our needs for 20-30 nights a year in it quite nicely.

Last edited:
I have read that about Palomino's also, but this is a good deal and I am not planning on doing anything more than dirt roads, etc... with this. I am mainly interested in if the amount of overhang is an issue. I cannot seem to find an answer.

I say try it in the truck and if it works for you and seems safe (not tail wagging the dog) you are set. If not you can always just use in the trailer.

Back
Top Bottom