Road Shower - Vehicle Mounted Shower

I had one for about a year for review. Neat concept, but the execution was terrible for the price, and they only really work in warm climates.

Anyone sporting one of those these days is likely to get pulled over and carefully searched...

A few years back my company had a business expo event at Disney in Florida. I rode my KLR 650 down that had a "tool tube" attached that was a short piece of PVC pipe with removable ends painted black. The Disney security guards quickly became my friends.

This does seem very similar...

I thought these were the bees knees when they first came out. A great concept buuuut....
Like we say in the Cream Corn (Marine Corps) Good initiative; bad judgement.
A useful gadget for surfer dudes?

Around here, most work trucks have something similar mounted to their rack. I've always believed it was to carry pipe or long, slender tools.

@Borrego60, do you tank the hot water from the helton, or just do the hot on demand from cold tanked water?

I recall some one saying they had a tank that they did store hot water in. They just turned the switch on the pump while close to camp, but still driving and when they arrived the water was plenty hot! I'd consider doing something like this if I could find a suitable hot tank to recirc the water into.

Look up Truma - they make a pretty cool, but expensive, hot water system with tank. AT sold something similar IIRC.

I saw the truma stuff at expo last year. I think Yuman's rig had the AT system, but it was ripped out by the time he got it... Maybe he remembers the name of the tank.

I might had been me, I got the tank off of Ebay, multi ports on the tank to put fittings for your needs. I do that before I hit camp.

@Borrego60, do you tank the hot water from the helton, or just do the hot on demand from cold tanked water?

I recall some one saying they had a tank that they did store hot water in. They just turned the switch on the pump while close to camp, but still driving and when they arrived the water was plenty hot! I'd consider doing something like this if I could find a suitable hot tank to recirc the water into.

From the build thread "over there"

"Thanks. It is an Elgena Nautic water heater. I believe it is German. It holds 1.3 gallons of water and runs on 200 Watts. I had Mario at Adventure Trailers special order the electric version of what they use in their Habitat builds for the Wrangler. I have been very impressed with the unit. Solid, insulated, thermal protection, and runs on a 20 amp fuse.

The entire clam shell is fed by a set of 2 gauge welding cable. I installed an 80 Amp breaker for the Extreme Air compressor, and installed a sub panel in the clam shell for feeding the water heater, inverter, and spares. The heater is fed with #10."

Cheers,
Paul May

I'm happy with my Helton. Plenty of hot water and it appears I can control the temperature with the HVAC thermostat on the dash.

From the build thread "over there"

"Thanks. It is an Elgena Nautic water heater. I believe it is German. It holds 1.3 gallons of water and runs on 200 Watts. I had Mario at Adventure Trailers special order the electric version of what they use in their Habitat builds for the Wrangler. I have been very impressed with the unit. Solid, insulated, thermal protection, and runs on a 20 amp fuse.

The entire clam shell is fed by a set of 2 gauge welding cable. I installed an 80 Amp breaker for the Extreme Air compressor, and installed a sub panel in the clam shell for feeding the water heater, inverter, and spares. The heater is fed with #10."

Cheers,
Paul May
Do you have a picture of one?

Back
Top Bottom