Recovery Bag Recommendations

the guys on the hammock forum (the inspiration for my projects) decided it sounded better than admitting that we were using our wife's sewing machine

The class 7..... not your grandmas sewing machine..... it can punch through a silver dollar!
800px-thumbnail.jpg

Ok I have two of these loaded with all my recovery gear. Tree strap, snatch straps, chains, D rings, gloves, pulleys, winch remote and more
f16e8924763bfad8d9761bf9875803a8.jpg

This was a good stuck that I had to use everything I had just to get to something that did not move.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
e89f026287de0eebdacfd4abe32863e6.jpg

Last edited:
Pull pal would have been nice but it was at home. The thing is get bags that fit in your vehicle. I killed a brand new strap in this recovery and they fixed it ( thank you Viking )
3e9c433789bd91dcd5c286926f6162ab.jpg
168b6de6d2e0f455ae2ccee0cd43414c.jpg

The one thing that had me on edge during this was the thunderstorms rolling in. I ended up leaving all me gear for the night and just wrapped the cable on the bumper to get it off the ground.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just a quick update:

After reading this thread, it got me thinking about my recovery gear placement. I took the suggestions from @TangoBlue and got some of the gaffer bags. I broke all of the gear out of the ARB recovery bag and grouped it by the uses and what gets pulled out most frequently.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447121147.617453.jpg

The Recovery Drawer

Long snatch strap is in the BROG strap bag on the right, large gaffer bag with pulley block, bow shackles, and tree strap on the left. Small gaffer bag with soft shackles, bridle and a couple more bow shackles in the center. Small gaffer bag with air hose, air chuck, deflator, and backup wired winch controller (primary is wireless). Snatch strap extender and damper is under the BROG Tool bag (probably going to order another one to keep the strap and damper in).

Now I don't have to pull the big ARB bag out just to get a few things in play. I can pre-position the snatch strap bag to the front bar, and throw a few other things up in the cabin.

Thanks to all for the thread. Very helpful.

Last edited:
I ended up going with Blue Ridge Overland Gear's large 'Oh Crap' bag. I am a sucker for handmade. I was able to fit the tree strap, winch extension, bridle, and three soft shakes. It will also hold my snatch block. I am waiting to order their kinetic recovery bag when it's released. I'll likely end up with another large bag for my air equipment. Thanks again for everyone's input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For example I use tough "gaffer" bags from CountyComm for: 1. recovery chain (sm), 2. screw pin shackles and recovery pulleys (lg), 3. tow strap and tree savers (lg). Finally, I used a larger bag for gloves, winch controller, winch line extension and other miscellaneous gear. There's no confusion what these bags are for since they are the only ones of this type I use for this purpose; everything tucks into small previously unused spaces in the bed of the truck and are easily accessible from the sides of the truck. It works out pretty good for me.

This. Really liking these small bags from Maratec.

This. Really liking these small bags from Maratec.
Those are pretty sweet, and inexpensive enough to buy a few.. After the recovery gear class at mrv I realized I need to add gear to my collection and reorganize. Thinking I will pick up a couple of these bags to help with that.

Scott

IMG_4080.JPG
I suppose I am a bit redneck in this reply, but after 25 years or so of 4 wheeling and camping, etc... I use a 5 gallon bucket for my recovery gear. Comes right to the top of the jeep tub... it is indestructible, is impervious to anything nature throws at it or puts inside it, and it is easy to clean and is... ummm.... free.... easy peasy... but it is not snow peak or any other super tacticool brand so... :D
As far as a bucket, you can use it as a toilet or laundry machine too, maybe not in that order...
Ooooooo, look, there's a Plunger...I use the ARB Bag and although it holds all my stuff in all the right places, it is big and bulky.
IMG_4079.JPG

Back
Top Bottom