Rampage Territory

ImNoSaint

Adventurist
deadringer.jpg

If you're a fan of the Red Bull Rampage you've seen the crazy trail descents near Virgin, Utah. There's a great trail system along the same range west of that venue that offers world-class mountain biking.

It began as the JEM (John, Ellen & Mike - creators) and has evolved into a network of climbs, multiple terrain, switchbacks, cliff hugging traverses, and high-speed cruises, all in the shadows of Zion Canyon. The network includes Dead Ringer - 5.2 mile, the JEM - 6.9 miles or 15.8 mile loop with Goulds, the Cryptobionic - 3.3 miles, and Goosebump - 3.6 miles, and More Cowbell - 2.7 miles. The network creates a number of loops making for several days worth of combos.

This post deals mainly with Dead Ringer.

There are a number of access points, this one is a junction of the JEM and Dead Ringer trails.
IMG_0223.jpg

Dead Ringer continues to the right beyond the sign in the above image, skirts and climbs the two prominent flat mesas in the background, popping up on top of the farthest one.
IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

Dead Ringer from above the mesa on More Cowbell, a trail that runs the rim of the mesas and connects into the JEM trail descent.
IMG_0229.jpg

From atop the mesa on More Cowbell, a look back over Dead Ringer to the north with Pine Valley Mountain in the background.
IMG_0231.jpg

The view back over More Cowbell from the edge looking south.
IMG_0251.jpg

Year-round access and cycling, trails ranging from novice to a little bit crazy all make this a mountain biking destination, trails that I ride three times a week.

World class indeed - jealous! :wow

Thanks for sharing this!

Wow, very cool pics. I rode a bike years ago, wish I still did...but not enough to get off my dead ass and do it!:cool:

Wow, very cool pics. I rode a bike years ago, wish I still did...but not enough to get off my dead ass and do it!:cool:
Thanks. It's been years for me, as well. I detached both my right and left biceps tendons about a year apart from each other, making for a long recovery and broadening my own ass. At 53 I decided to get back out there, hike, bike, kayak - beats any gym membership - not to impress anyone, not to get in shape, just to live.

Thanks. It's been years for me, as well. I detached both my right and left biceps tendons about a year apart from each other, making for a long recovery and broadening my own ass. At 53 I decided to get back out there, hike, bike, kayak - beats any gym membership - not to impress anyone, not to get in shape, just to live.

Motivating. Goodonya... now if you can just convince a 59 year old to ramp up his activity level... :rolleyes:

I bought my first mountain bike in 1985 not long after they were invented. It was a Specialized Stumpjumper Sport with a fully lugged frame. I still have it but I haven't been on it for about 15 years. Your post brings back a lot of memories of thousands of miles riding the mountain trails of So Cal and the Sierra Nevada. My brother and I took one epic mountain bike trip to Utah in 1987. I really miss the feeling of riding on a remote trail!

My brother and I loved riding so much that we started a mountain bike tour business called "Westtreks" in the late '80's and operated it for about 2 1/2 years until we both got married. We both met our wives on the tours we ran which was one of the stated goals when we started the business! He's still married, I am not.

Cam

The fact that you're out there on a modest hardtail and not a $5,000 downhill rig is extremely encouraging. I'd gladly get back into the lifestyle if I had track like that within reach! Thanks again for sharing.

The fact that you're out there on a modest hardtail and not a $5,000 downhill rig is extremely encouraging. I'd gladly get back into the lifestyle if I had track like that within reach! Thanks again for sharing.
I'm glad it's encouraging. I love this bike, had it for years, sold it to buy an upgrade, but bought it back instead. I'm sure it's part of what I'm used to, but it's also part of resisting the recreational-industrial complex, a big reason why I'm on American Adventurer these days instead of Expedition Portal.

Last edited:
Wife and I ran the JEM trail a few months ago. Epic trail!!!! The begining is awesome as you ride along the rim of a small wash/canyon. Going to hit up Gooseberry and run JEM again this coming Thanksgiving.

Wife and I ran the JEM trail a few months ago. Epic trail!!!! The begining is awesome as you ride along the rim of a small wash/canyon. Going to hit up Gooseberry and run JEM again this coming Thanksgiving.
I might bump into you then.

Back
Top Bottom