Ford Ranger coming back?

I understand that the already produced "new" Ford Ranger is already giving the Toyota Hilux in overseas markets a real run for the money.

I understand that the already produced "new" Ford Ranger is already giving the Toyota Hilux in overseas markets a real run for the money.

I've heard that as well. The "global" Ranger would likely get the nod from me before the Colorado and new Tacoma. As long as the North American market doesn't receive a watered down version, it would be my choice as a replacement for my Tacoma.

It's disappointing that Toyota can't see the benefit of a "world" truck based on the HILUX platform. Superior boxed frame for strength is the #1 feature I would want and of course the 1KD. But if blue oval can deliver the same features as Toyota, no wonder their sales figures have gone down in AUS.

I have also heard an (so far unsubstantiated) rumor that Ford is also considering bringing out a new Bronco based upon the World Ranger platform. :drool

I am in favor of a smaller version as well, along the size of the first rangers. I had a 77 Datsun pick up and then later an 84 ranger and they both were useful, got good mileage and easy to drive. I sometimes wonder if the car companies don't just get caught in an "arms race" and wind up with over fluffed, over stuffed versions of what were once successful platforms.

I don't see much of a market for a small Bronco type vehicle, at least not a 2 door. Just look at the current Jeep Wrangler, I don't have the numbers, but casual observation, I'd bet they sell 8-10 four door versions for every 2 door that they sell.

A diesel option in the small truck world would be great, but this is no longer a small truck, and that Ranger looks like a cross between a Toyota and a Chevy Avalanche... I don't like it.

I am in favor of a smaller version as well, along the size of the first rangers. I had a 77 Datsun pick up and then later an 84 ranger and they both were useful, got good mileage and easy to drive. I sometimes wonder if the car companies don't just get caught in an "arms race" and wind up with over fluffed, over stuffed versions of what were once successful platforms.

I would love to see a compact truck segment again too, but those who feel the same way are few. Sales numbers support that not very many in the U.S. would be willing to sit rubbing shoulders with their passengers any more. Heck, I've even heard this said from many members of this forum while sitting around the campfire. So, I agree with Bob on this one.

A diesel option in the small truck world would be great, but this is no longer a small truck, and that Ranger looks like a cross between a Toyota and a Chevy Avalanche... I don't like it.

Just wondering... do you like the Toyota HiLux?

That page shows a dually Tundra... :rolleyes:

I'm skeptical

Hilux would be driven by a new 2.8 litre V8 engine which would produce 160 horsepower with beyond 300 lb-ft of torque.

I'm skeptical

I agree, that article is a bit of a mess, but this is quite a bit more reliable source:

http://www.toyota.com.au/all-new-hilux

Backs up the 2.8L Diesel with about 331 Lbs-Ft (450 nm). I really doubt that any diesel that small would be V8 though... probably 4 cyl. Still, very nice numbers.

Charles said:
Not so much

I asked, because it seems like all of the global truck platforms are nearly the same in styling (even the VW is similar and the future Mercedes.) I wasn't a fan at first, but got used to the styling after driving a 2013 HiLux for a few months.

The Canyon/Colorado get the baby DuraMax next year. I'm no longer willing to tolerate DEF systems. They seem to be fuel sensitive, particulate traps clog/don't regenerate fast enough, engines go into limp mode. Fuel in Baja is not always ULTRA low sulfur diesel as it is in the US. My '06 runs on low sulfur diesel, generally seems to run better on Mexican fuel than it does on the stuff they sell here (I have a calibrated butt, I can sense these things)! I've decided that keeping my '06 is the best option.

I have a customer that has put over 20k on his V-6/4x4/extended cab, Canyon. He has a daily commute that includes going up and down a mountain and the SoCal superslab (Julian to Oceanside for locals). I check his mileage every time he comes in, 22-24. Even if the diesel was the cats meow, I think I'm going to stick with the gas engine over the diesel when I pull the trigger on a Canyon for Machelle.

Every time I see a Canyon or Colorado I think it's a new Tacoma... And then I realize Toyota has real competition now.

But, give it a decade and let's talk reliability ;)

Back
Top Bottom