"house" battery recommendation

Battery and whole set up worked out well for our shakedown family vacation to the Mid Atlantic Overland Festival and some poking around the southeast afterward. Battery holds fine with fridge running for a couple days no problem. I do like having the meter on the battery box so that I can check on it. Battery was kept fully charge throughout the festival by my Harbor Freight 45w solar panels. So I am pleased with the battery so far.

Seeee, two weeks and they said it wouldn't last! :D

I replaced my old house battery with the new Die Hard Advanced Gold AGM today. Fit perfectly in my National Luna Power Pack.

I replaced my old house battery with the new Die Hard Advanced Gold AGM today. Fit perfectly in my National Luna Power Pack.

Let me know what you think, I will want to upgrade the battery in the trailer in a couple months

I was thinking of installing a National Luna Power Pack in my trailer. Can you share your opinions on the product?

I had IBS in my jeep worked like a charm managing the dual battery setup. The Land Cruiser I now own has the National Luna system, works great as well. I like the readout/controller on the IBS better though. It has better options for mounting and isn't as finicky. The NL controller's connection cable can be a PITA. Both are great systems.

I have the T-Max dual battery set up. It is the same as the older IBS system (they have since changed the isolator) Works great, you can see it in my build thread here

Last edited:
I had IBS in my jeep worked like a charm managing the dual battery setup. The Land Cruiser I now own has the National Luna system, works great as well. I like the readout/controller on the IBS better though. It has better options for mounting and isn't as finicky. The NL controller's connection cable can be a PITA. Both are great systems.

Agreed.

Depending on how comfortable you are with a little wiring, you could always build your own: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHRVMII...TF8&colid=21X70HLK85MGF&coliid=I2T0GOFZR67MR7

So the reason my Jeep is called Phoenix is due to an unfortunate garage fire. I lost my first Jeep and the contents of my garage. The cause of the fire was never determined. And all other details can only be discussed around a camp fire.
Firesecondlook.jpg

I like to buy kits and work with knowledgeable people to install. Good to have someone double checking your work when it comes to electrical.

Ok, to rekindle this topic, my G31 Diehard Platinum Died Hard in Mojave last weekend (see what I did there) I pulled the matching but newer battery out of the secondary location and put it in the starting spot so I could drive the truck, but need to get a replacement for Death Valley in a couple weeks.

So Far the closest I have been able to find to the specs of the Diehard without breaking the bank is the Exide XMC-31 at
  • 925 CCA at 0 degrees F, 1110 CA at 32 degrees F
  • 200 minute reserve capacity
$249 free shipping at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_4&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Group 31 is the largest I can fit under the hood, so the plan was to order the highest spec battery in that size, and leave the older battery as the secondary keeping the new battery for the key starting location. I was just about to pull the trigger when I started thinking maybe leave the battery I have as the starting and order something bigger for the secondary spot in the bed. I would need to switch out the battery box in the bed, but I technically have room for much more battery back there which got me looking at things like this

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...-Automotive-Commercial/_/R-NBD7271_0508118630

or this one for agm

http://www.sears.com/powerstar-12v-...-SPM8067146102?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

this would give me a lot more power. Then I started thinking, do I really need more power? The group 31 has always kept up with the fridge just fine, especially with the solar so do I really need to add the extra 60lbs (almost doubling the battery weight) and get a new battery box to gain batter power that I dont really need?

Looking for a bit of advice, and thoughts on the Exide battery.

I also found this one which specs higher than even the odyssey, but it is also expensive http://www.crutchfield.com/p_122D3100/XS-Power-D3100.html?tp=36339

Since you don't "need" the extra juice, I'd stick with dual G31s. It's tough to beat the benefits of plug-and-play redundancy.

I had a similar dilemma with the Disco build, lots of space for a bigger battery to spare in the sleeper. I'm glad I stuck with the same G31 battery out back, my main battery died (at a ripe old age of 5) and it was great being able to simply swap them and wait on a cheaper mail-order deal for the replacement.

Since you don't "need" the extra juice, I'd stick with dual G31s. It's tough to beat the benefits of plug-and-play redundancy.

I had a similar dilemma with the Disco build, lots of space for a bigger battery to spare in the sleeper. I'm glad I stuck with the same G31 battery out back, my main battery died (at a ripe old age of 5) and it was great being able to simply swap them and wait on a cheaper mail-order deal for the replacement.

That is the scenario I am in now. Moved the battery to the starting location and have been driving the truck all week

When my last Optima Yellow top died in my LJ, my battery guy at American Battery in Escondido steered me away from Optima and to an Exide, no complaints.

My battery saga...

Batteries used to be stupid proof. It seems we (and the battery companies) have really complicated things. I know Bill (Hilldweller) says there is a specific charge procedure for AGM batteries...I don't want to deal with "a charge procedure". I want to put the damn thing in the battery box and forget about it for 5 years or so.

When I got my camper, I put two Optima yellow tops under the hood in the factory locations (GMC Dmax) and a blue top in a battery box in the bed. GMC's have a factory 7 pin harness for an in bed mount. I had the 12v charge wire from the bed mount 7 pin going to the blue top. I had nothing but issues with this arrangement. I had the aux battery (left front location) fail within months, shortly followed by the blue top. I replaced (warrantied) the under hood yellow top (no further issues over the last few years) and finally got fed up with trying to "restore" the blue top...never knowing for sure if it was going to hold a charge or not. In a crunch, I bought the cheapest AC/Delco battery we had at work and put it in the bed box. I've since almost forgotten it's there, it has worked flawlessly for several years now. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom