Family Adventure Van

WUZombies

Adventurist
Yes that's what I really call it, I know it is cheesy but the van is a solid base for what I want to build. It is a '03 Ford E-150 that I picked up used this June (after a few camping trips with an overloaded minivan). I have no idea what this van did in it's previous life, but it is a 12-year-old 8-passenger that is straight, some dings and only had 30,000 miles when I picked it up!

F8Industries-WebSized-02.jpg

Right now I'm in a bit of a rush to build all the things I need for the big trip summer 2016. The family (along with 2 other families in caravan, including another being build E-van, and I are driving from Texas to Tetons/Yellowstone and then to Glacier for 5 nights of camping between both (I know not enough time) and driving home. That's a lot of road time but it will be worth it. This summer we went to GSMNP and hit up Big Bend again. BBNP was the first camping trip with the "new" van and I couldn't be happier. Plenty of room to carry the gear, we took basically the same load out as we took to GSMNP but in the minivan we had to use a large roof rack with 3 Plano 1819/1919 cases, and external pole carriers for the tent poles. Everything was in the interior of the new van.

So far the majority of the work has been things you wouldn't see, new tie-rods, etc. Although in the interior, I the windows tinted, I did delete the ash tray to house hard-wired USB charging and then put RAM mounts on the dash for the iPad mini I use with a BadElf puck for navigation and the cellphones. I also mounted a Wilson dual band amplifier, although the magmount stock antenna sort of sucks it was a rock star in BBNP. For the first time ever we had 3G/4G connectivity in the park! However, all minor things compared to the next step in the project build.

F8Industries-WebSized-23.jpg

Put together a sturdy gear platform with tiedowns and even though it is simple, it is exactly what I wanted so I can slide Sterlight totes and Pelican cases into the enclosed cubbies. The left side are totes with tools, recovery and tiedown stuff, the right side is pelican cases with camera gear and "right now" supplies for late arrival to camp (stove, table, etc) since my small children generally don't like waiting around to eat after a late arrival. You can see the bolt on (mostly, like most bolt on stuff I had to modify it to fit) visor shelf, which is awesome. After the roof rack the shelf will hold a Dual Band HAM mobile unit and a CB. I've also since added tie down track to the front and back of the shelf for more attachment points.

(Sorry for the crappy cell phone photos on the next two).

F8Industries-van-01-2.jpg

That gap on the right where the stock jack is located fits a Pelican 1430 perfectly. Which is nice since that's what I carry my speedlights and triggers in.

Hopefully this week the tubing I ordered will arrive at the metal shop and I'll be able to get cranking on building the roof rack. Followed by bumpers.

F8Industries-van-01.jpg

Even sitting stock (for now), as long as you're not stupid, it is well mannered off the asphalt. You might notice the Plastic Jesus sitting on the dashboard..."I don't care if it rains or freezes, as long as I've got my Plastic Jesus, sitting on the dashboard of my car..."

-Dave

I always love following van builds. If you go 4x4, u joint is the way to go. I really would live to do a van build, but it's not in the cards right now.

Very nice. I like vans that go offroad...

U-Joint Off Road - http://www.ujointoffroad.com/

You can thanks me later Dave.
Right on. I'm familiar with your work from the *other* forum, but right now I'm keeping 2WD with a planned locker and winch. I've owned a 4x4 and even out on the trail I found that good driving and a locker will get me through the majority of areas I want to go. The MPG savings since most of the driving will be on highway and fire roads I might only toss a 2WD lift to help a bit. I know what you've said on the other site but I can't justify putting a tube and welding on leafs for the cost. We'll see, if I'm wrong on that I'll say so and eat crow for this post.

On a different note, I finally figured out a design for fold over antenna mounts since I'll have 3, dual band HAM, CB and the big Wilson trucker mounted to the roof rack. I can't wait to see if my idea works, now if only the metal shop will get me tubing this week! But the publisher is getting book 3 back for final edit approvals pre-release this week, so I might be busy and get a week behind on the build.

Right on. I'm familiar with your work from the *other* forum, but right now I'm keeping 2WD with a planned locker and winch. I've owned a 4x4 and even out on the trail I found that good driving and a locker will get me through the majority of areas I want to go. The MPG savings since most of the driving will be on highway and fire roads I might only toss a 2WD lift to help a bit. I know what you've said on the other site but I can't justify putting a tube and welding on leafs for the cost. We'll see, if I'm wrong on that I'll say so and eat crow for this post.

On a different note, I finally figured out a design for fold over antenna mounts since I'll have 3, dual band HAM, CB and the big Wilson trucker mounted to the roof rack. I can't wait to see if my idea works, now if only the metal shop will get me tubing this week! But the publisher is getting book 3 back for final edit approvals pre-release this week, so I might be busy and get a week behind on the build.

Very pragmatic rationale, nothing that I don't agree with.

But what other forum do you refer to? This is the only place I hang out at... :confused:

11960061_505456572937044_6091439189716686879_n.jpg

My roof rack and bumpers "kit" finally came in today. The heavy duty contractor bars are the base I'm building the roof rack off of, mainly for the gutter mounts. It helps they were free from a buddy who had them in his shop taken off one of his work vans.

I should start on the roof rack tomorrow, once that is finished it'll be on to the front bumper. I'm saving the rear for last since it'll be more complicated with dual swing outs.

Last edited:
I was only able to get the main parts of the roof rack cut and fished, family duties came first and now the Aggie game is on...the plan is to have most of it tacked together tomorrow for fitting. That and modifying the contractor racks to function better for my purpose.

I fail at not bringing any photographs, but the main section of the rack is tacked together and I made a tube bending station on my beat-up worktable by screwing 2 10lbs plates from my gym onto the table. The plan was to torch the tubing, set it into the form and slowly bend. According to my ultra-accurate bent gas welding rod form the 10lbs plates had just the right radius...

Short story is that the table caught on fire (not bad, funnier more than anything) and I now own a chinese made cheapo tubing bender to see if that works this week...:eek::D

View media item 31
The full length roof rack kit I ordered has terrible plans, it's like IKEA from hell. :p

In all seriousness I finally had the chance to get the bends done and all the cuts made, now I'm just tacking it all together before finish welding. I think I'm going to be spending some serious quality time with my grinder too...

It has been a number of years since I made anything real, I'm rusty but it's starting to come back.

image.jpg

I have a full day of fun ahead of me. Those are Moog cc81368 progressive coil springs and according to Moog they should be just what I'm looking for (which is a very minor bump north, a stiffer ride and better weight handling. The rest isn't very sexy, just stuff that needs to happen, ball joints, brakes and shocks (bilstein, not in frame). I don't care how many cool parts and toys you bolt on, if the rig doesn't run right then it's not reliable.

Outside of some short camping trips, we have a long 3-week adventure planned for June, from central Texas to the Terons, Yellowstone and Glacier. Trying to bullet proof parts now.

image.jpg

Roof rack completed and mounted today. The lights aren't wired in yet, waiting for a fused bus to show up to run a new complete circuit that will run the lighting and the commo package that is on order (HAM and CB). Not in view are 2 LED cubes for the rear. I should have the air dam mounted on the front this week too. Also, hopefully the new wheels and tires will arrive by the end of the week.

Next up on the fabrication list is a ladder followed by the bumpers. Things are coming along nicely!

Awesome! Diggin the "Family Adventure Van!" Love the modifications you have done so far, I look forward to watching the build as it progresses. I am planning a trip that will involve me converting a van to live and travel out of, how does the E-150 do as far as power and gas milage for you?

I'm not going to be winning any drag races unless they involve makeup (do they make heels in 12EEEE?), but the mileage is what I would expect. 14-17 all day long, but I won't know what it is with the new roof rack for a few more tanks of gas. I roll comfortably at 70-75mph, will cruise at 80mph on I-10 where posted but on Texas 130 I don't try to do the speed limit (which is posted 85mph).

A Prius will get better mpg but then you're traveling with the overlanding equivalent of a fanny pack with a stick of gum in it. A Corvette will get you there faster, as long as there doesn't have any bumps higher than a gnats ass. Joking aside my previous Van was a loaded 2011 Routan, fear basket on the roof and I cruised at 80mph getting 17-20mpg on the interstate. Loading for a week long camping trip called my graduate level degree in Tetris-ology into play. Now I have a van with a roof rack that has more square footage of space than most Tiny Homes. Decidedly less hipster too. Guess I'm tired, the bad jokes just won't stop...

Hey, I did get a chance to burn some metal this evening...
image.jpg

New shoes for the van should be delivered tomorrow and this weekend I have a huge amount of wiring with a new fused bus, relays, switches, lights, radios and antenna mounting so my commo package will transition from low powered hand needs to high powered mobile units.

Then I can get started on cutting up the 4x8 sheet of 3/16 to make bumpers. If I wasn't chest deep in a manuscript that is due to the publisher in a few weeks I would have made more progress!

Back
Top Bottom